OT: Covid-19 (Part 42) All Night Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't disagree BUT what if a decent size of the population for whatever reason refuses? Do you stay locked up forever?

Those who refuse will eventually get COVID. Some will end up in hospitals or dead, and hopefully that spooks the rest of them.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Those who refuse will eventually get COVID. Some will end up in hospitals or dead, and hopefully that spooks the rest of them.
The mindset in the states is Get the shot if you want or don't get it...I made a decision to get one but I know many people who refuse to get it.
I can't judge those who don't.

99.9+ % survival rate....alot of folks think those are good odds

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I suspect you will see a smaller percentage of young people take the vaccine. Ultimately that may be irrelevant as they may still reach 70-75% with the older demographics already hit and just getting a good chunk of the younger demographic.

I think the young people will turn up. Because the moment they made it available to the younger folks every other day, record number of appointments were being taken. About 200K or more per day.

So we'll see the vaccine numbers go up and the younger people will be the reason why.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In Québec, we hit the 3M first doses administered on April 29th.

We hit the 4M first doses mark on May 15th.

If the trend continues, we'll hit 5M by June 1st.

Reminder that the province's goal is 5.3M by June 24.

Second doses, on April 29th, there were 85K second doses administered.

On May 15th, Québec is at 250K second doses administered.

Total doses administered so far (1st & 2nd doses): 4.33M

Reactions: llamateizer

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The mindset in the states is Get the shot if you want or don't get it...I made a decision to get one but I know many people who refuse to get it.

at the end of the day, the more are being vaccinated the safer it becomes for the non vaccinated... and basic maths tells me that once you reach a certain % of vaccinated people, there will be nobody to transmit the diseasse to other non-vaxxed people.

people are getting vaccinated cause they're tired of the sanitary measures, not because they're afraid of the virus or want to save people (lol). 99.9% of them could not care less about others.

Reactions: Tyson

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
at the end of the day, the more are being vaccinated the safer it becomes for the non vaccinated... and basic maths tells me that once you reach a certain % of vaccinated people, there will be nobody to transmit the diseasse to other non-vaxxed people.

people are getting vaccinated cause they're tired of the sanitary measures, not because they're afraid of the virus or want to save people (lol). 99.9% of them could not care less about others.

Yes we know, humans are selfish creatures, we get it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

With the way the variants are going, I do judge those who won't get vaccinated because frankly it's pretty dumb. But I don't care anymore. You want to get COVID and f*** up your lungs, go ahead.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
In Québec, we hit the 3M first doses administered on April 29th.

We hit the 4M first doses mark on May 15th.

If the trend continues, we'll hit 5M by June 1st.

Reminder that the province's goal is 5.3M by June 24.

Second doses, on April 29th, there were 85K second doses administered.

On May 15th, Québec is at 250K second doses administered.

Total doses administered so far (1st & 2nd doses): 4.33M
will not happen, Legault will tell anyone it's done and everybody will be so happy about it they will not care verifying if it's true or not.

Just like when Dube said (last week) that all of the CSHLD residents who got their 1st dose also got their 2nd : reality ? in my region (and that's only one among many) we HOPE to have accomplished this by mid June, and for this to happen, nurses will have to work very long hours. (so far there's not enough nurses, goal will not be attained).

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
That's the biggest issue, people are "spooked". Over a virus with a 99.9 survivability.

If you're young and healthy you dont need a vaccine that is not even approved beyond emergency authorization.

Reactions: Cypruss and Tyson

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
will not happen, Legault will tell anyone it's done and everybody will be so happy about it they will not care verifying if it's true or not.

Just like when Dube said (last week) that all of the CSHLD residents who got their 1st dose also got their 2nd : reality ? in my region (and that's only one among many) we HOPE to have accomplished this by mid June, and for this to happen, nurses will have to work very long hours. (so far there's not enough nurses, goal will not be attained).

Are you saying the numbers they are putting are fake or that we will slow down immensely by then?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Anyone who thinks they can piggyback off the vaccinated to protect themselves is in for a rude awakening. The virus is endemic, it's always going to be around.

You will get COVID if you don't get the vaccine. You wanna roll the dice, go for it.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
That's the biggest issue, people are "spooked". Over a virus with a 99.9 survivability.

If you're young and healthy you dont need a vaccine that is not even approved beyond emergency authorization.

Ok. Roll the dice man, I don't care. I won't feel bad for you if it does go badly, though.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Why does the fact it's EUA matters to you? Will you change your mind when it's given full authorization at some point in 2021?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Why does the fact it's EUA matters to you? Will you change your mind when it's given full authorization at some point in 2021?
Why does a vaccine that they rushed out in record time MATTER ?

Umm...

And no I still wont take it. I dont need it. The elderly, the obese. They need the protection. natural immunity is superior to any vaccine.

Vaccines work pretty well generally. I'm not sure one has ever been successful against a cold virus but so far the numbers have been impressive.

Soon COVID will be like a nuisance. But anything less than eradication and you'll have the typical fear and neurosis you see.

Reactions: Cypruss

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Umm...

Because the disease it protects against killed at least 3.39 million people in 14 months?

Also please indicate which parameter of the trials was not respected to indicate "rushing".

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Because the science 2021 is more advanced than the science of 2020 which is more advanced than the science of 2019 which is more advanced than the science of 2018 (and so on).

Also what @Treb mentionned above.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Because the disease it protects against killed at least 3.39 million people in 14 months?

Also please indicate which parameter of the trials was not respected to indicate "rushing".
Killed the elderly, obese and vulnerable. I'm a COVID RN in a very large teaching hospital in the USA. I've seen it with my own eyes.
If you're young and healthy you dont need any further protections.

I'm not going to dig into "parameters of trials " to please you. It's well known that the vaccine was rushed under Operation Warp Speed. Impressive for sure. And it appears to be working for those who need it. That's all that matters.
We'll always have the neurotic Nancy's lecturing everyone to take it.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Anyone who thinks they can piggyback off the vaccinated to protect themselves is in for a rude awakening. The virus is endemic, it's always going to be around.

You will get COVID if you don't get the vaccine. You wanna roll the dice, go for it.
YOU fell you're being taken advantage of. People who don't want the vaccine just don't want the vaccine, period. They're not hoping for anything

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If not dying is the measurement for success, then sure... take your chances on not getting vaccinated.

But covid comes with a whole slew of other issues. That's not something worth rolling the dice on.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

3.39M in a population of 8.5billion people worldwide people isn't that much. The way people talk about this thing is like it's the apocalypse. It's not.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Are you saying the numbers they are putting are fake or that we will slow down immensely by then?
look, there's a desk in my very own house with papers, pile is quite big... on each and everyone of those papers there's the name and (CHSLD) adress of old people, old people who did get their 1st dose but NOT their 2nd dose.

The goal (I heard the zoom meeting) is for those people to all get their 2nd dose within the next 3 weeks. So far they do not have enough staff to achieve this.

Health Minister Dube said last week that ALL residents who received their first dose also received their 2nd dose. It is a lie.

(before I go back to acting like you don't exist, just know that nothing I typed in this post is an opinion, it is 100% facts)

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
3.39M in a population of 8.5billion people worldwide people isn't that much. The way people talk about this thing is like it's the apocalypse. It's not.
That is before the vaccine came out. That is before we knew how to properly treat it. It was new. And it was devastating.
But in the big picture (like you mention) it's not what the initial fear was. That it would wipe out up to 10 percent of the population. But people still act like the initial fear that was fed to them.
Essentially if your not OBESE or over 65 you have a 99.9 percent chance of surviving it , most often you probably wouldnt even know you had it.
I've been exposed so many times and I've never been sick. As have many I work with.
Some of us got antiobodies. I didnt. But you can fight off virus's with passive T cell immunity which doesnt build antibodies. I suspect that was me.
It's time to come out of your houses and live your life.

Reactions: Cypruss and Tyson

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
"roll the dice". 99.9 percent chance of success.

For young people the regular flu is more dangerous. Why are you not shaking in your house and lecturing people over this?

I'm telling you to go ahead. Why are you getting so defensive? Roll the dice if it's so safe. I don't care if you want to chance it with COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino