OT: Covid-19 (Part 42) All Night Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It sure has. Lockdowns have gone way too far.
economies have been destroyed. People have lost their businesses. Abuse of children are up. Suicides are way up. Drug and alcohol abuse.
Kids lives have forever been affected because teachers cowered in fear and wouldnt come teach.
Public health officials have played a far too big role in dictating public policy that required a broader global perspective.

You are right. We should have had harsher measures at the start so that we could have lesser measures for a lesser time now.

US/part of Canada are too scared of the government to follow the South Korea model though.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Compare the US death rates to Canada's. Canada fared much better because it was better at locking things down. As for the economy I don't think we've fared worse than the US has. We just had lower death rates and our hospitals weren't nearly as strained as theirs were.

Of course this depends region by region as the US is a huge country. But overall, the US completely failed in their response. They didn't lock things down and paid dearly for it.

To your second point. those economies were crashing no matter what. That's what happens when you wind up with a hugely contagious disease like this. Nobody is going to want to stay in hotels whether the gov't says it's okay or not.
If you look at the data places like California which totally shut down didnt fare much better than states that had balanced things out, and at times lockdown states did worse. Even if the data all suggested some benefit it still must be balanced against all the detrimental issues with what I mentioned (loss of livelihood, drug/alcohol abuse).
Canada is a different situation. only 35 million people in such a large country. People who are much more reliant and subservient to government.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If you look at the data places like California which totally shut down didnt fare much better than states that had balanced things out, and at times lockdown states did worse. Even if the data all suggested some benefit it still must be balanced against all the detrimental issues with what I mentioned (loss of livelihood, drug/alcohol abuse).
Canada is a different situation. only 35 million people in such a large country. People who are much more reliant and subservient to government.
Every country is going to be unique and have their own challenges/advantages.

But the US should have been able to handle this at least as well as Canada. It was not a high bar to hit.

Red states were far more lax in their response and were hit harder as the pandemic raged on. It started with the big cities and then the red states caught up. Did not have to be that way.
States with Republican governors had highest Covid incidence and death rates, study finds

We have the benefit of seeing how these two countries handled things and lockdowns worked. We have the benefit of seeing how things ran in the States themselves and the data supports this as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You are right. We should have had harsher measures at the start so that we could have lesser measures for a lesser time now.

US/part of Canada are too scared of the government to follow the South Korea model though.
In the beginning we needed to shut down to figure out exactly we were up against.

It was supposed to be "flatten the curve" LOL. we could have a more balanced measured global perspective in dealing with it. I think in the end Florida and Texas did it right.

Reactions: Cypruss

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
In the beginning we needed to shut down to figure out exactly we were up against.

It was supposed to be "flatten the curve" LOL. we could have a more balanced measured global perspective in dealing with it. I think in the end Florida and Texas did it right.

No state "did it right". South Korea did it right.

Extensive intensive testing, GPS and credit contact tracing, monitored quarantine and travel restrictions, most of which would ruffle many feathers in the western world.

EDIT: The result? They went from 2nd worst hit country to one of the least impacted.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
No state "did it right". South Korea did it right.

Extensive intensive testing, GPS and credit contact tracing, monitored quarantine and travel restrictions, most of which would ruffle many feathers in the western world.
I was comparing some relatively speaking.

Of course S Korea was much more successful. But that's a country that doesnt have a society like the USA in terms of civil liberties. They are much more compliant. Right or wrong it would only work in that type of society.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Compare the US death rates to Canada's. Canada fared much better because it was better at locking things down. As for the economy I don't think we've fared worse than the US has. We just had lower death rates and our hospitals weren't nearly as strained as theirs were.

Of course this depends region by region as the US is a huge country. But overall, the US completely failed in their response. They didn't lock things down and paid dearly for it.

To your second point. those economies were crashing no matter what. That's what happens when you wind up with a hugely contagious disease like this. Nobody is going to want to stay in hotels whether the gov't says it's okay or not.
Not true. I know plenty of people that would be traveling if they could.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Not true. I know plenty of people that would be traveling if they could.
agreed, lots of people I know got vaccinated because they want to travel and would easily travel even without being vaccinated if it was allowed.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
There's no possible reason why we can not see one or more family in outdoor gathering after June 24th, will be interesting to see on tuesday night

By then anyone who can get vaccinated would have had the chance. So I'm not holding back anymore, even if the rules aren't relaxed. In public I will follow the rules but in private, nope. COVID is endemic, so one way or another it will circulate forever. Not sure what the point of precautions are anymore if everyone has had the chance to be vaccinated already.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
There's no possible reason why we can not see one or more family in outdoor gathering after June 24th, will be interesting to see on tuesday night

I expect they will allow it way before that.

I will be honest. Everyone around me that I usually often see already got their 1st dose 2-3 weeks ago. Once I got my 1st Dose(next week)... I don't see how I will still respect some measure.

What they annouce may help keep some measure a bit longer. But I think what ever they annonce...it won't matter much.

Pretty soon, the slow sheep who do not understand basic vaccin concept won't matter much. We are lucky in Quebec...we will probably hit 85%+...that is pretty good. For the rest...education is key.

Reactions: ClasslessGuy

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
I expect they will allow it way before that.

I will be honest. Everyone around me that I usually often see already got their 1st dose 2-3 weeks ago. Once I got my 1st Dose(next week)... I don't see how I will still respect some measure.

What they annouce may help keep some measure a bit longer. But I think what ever they annonce...it won't matter much.

Pretty soon, the slow sheep who do not understand basic vaccin concept won't matter much. We are lucky in Quebec...we will probably hit 85%+...that is pretty good. For the rest...education is key.
True but they will likely stay with the 24th to have to 3 weeks buffer after the vaccin, that's why I don't expect much before that date.

I'm almost scared to say I won't follow the rules anymore after that date if we can't see people lol, don't want to be labeled as an anti something

Reactions: ProMath

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They either got very very unlucky or there is a missing part of the story. Seriously, cops break house party all the time without giving tickets as long people gtfo without making a scene.

It's the same with the protests, very few tickets given. It's mostly formal warning.
Just repeating what my sister told and I am sure there is more to the story. If they were ticketed for being outside walking around I am not ok with that though

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There will always be exceptions to the rule.

But the solution in those cases is to fix the abuse. THAT is the real issue. Trying to tie a pandemic response to this avoids the real issue.

My kids will be fine. Most kids will be fine. Those in abusive homes won't... but that's because they're being abused, not because we've shut things down.
The pandemic brought alot to light that is still not being addressed.

Live free or die

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
COVID-19 messenger RNA vaccine

Vaccine efficacy

After the 1st dose, the messenger RNA vaccine is 92% effective.
The 2nd dose is mainly used to provide long-term protection. The vaccine is thought to be 95% effective after two doses.

In case anyone has questions about efficacy after 1 dose, and reopening strategies. Go get your vaccine and enjoy a normal life again.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So as of last night, we're missing about 85,000 appointments to hit the 75% (of the adult population) either vaccinated or with appointments to get vaccinated.

Get your vaccine people!!!!

Obviously they would love to announce that they hit their target (and more) by the time tomorrow's press conference rolls around.

Reactions: Andrei79

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The anti-vaccine crowd when they feel like they're being targeted:

puPs0ZU.gif

ShyUnripeEarwig-size_restricted.gif

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
So as of last night, we're missing about 85,000 appointments to hit the 75% (of the adult population) either vaccinated or with appointments to get vaccinated.

Get your vaccine people!!!!

Obviously they would love to announce that they hit their target (and more) by the time tomorrow's press conference rolls around.

Correct me if I am wrong but we still need to hit 75% in all category and not just as a whole?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Would not be surprised if loosening leads to limited fans attendance for playoffs.

I'm sorry. But while this would be great for the athmosphere and for the league/players/fans, if fans can gather by thousands in the Bell Centre before I'm allowed so see my 2 years old godson I haven't been seeing for the past 10 months, I'll be kind of pissed.

Reactions: LeHab and MasterD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad