OT: Covid-19 (Part 38) Close to You

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You also don't need to eat everyday to be healthy. You don't need restaurants open for deliveries/takeouts, let alone every damn day.
You also don't need schools open as they are.

So ya, what are we even debating here?
Will you die without gyms opened. No. But this definition of essential has not been applied.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I saw a term online - vaccine nationalism - and it's a good way to describe it. What a mess. They are playing games with people's lives. Give me the f***ing AZ vaccine, I swear to god I will go right f***ing now to get it. I'll be there in 15 minutes.

Im hearing that people are getting vaccinated by hanging around pharmacies that are giving vaccines at the time before closing. Instead of them tossing the open vial, they inoculate who ever is willing.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The media has played a MASSIVE role in promoting fear and misinformation about AZ.

There us a HUGE political game with the vaccines being played here.

I saw a term online - vaccine nationalism - and it's a good way to describe it. What a mess. They are playing games with people's lives. Give me the f***ing AZ vaccine, I swear to god I will go right f***ing now to get it. I'll be there in 15 minutes.

Foreign agents have been at work for a while to discredit the Western vaccines.
COVID-19 Vaccine Myths Are Spreading Thanks to Russian Propaganda
Russians spread fake news over Oxford coronavirus vaccine | News | The Times
Russian disinformation campaign working to undermine confidence in Covid-19 vaccines used in US - CNNPolitics

AZ was to be the vaccine for more challenged countries since it's easier logistically than the mRNA vaccine due to storage conditions. However, it's also easy pickings due to the lower efficacy and the early blunders.

And now we get this:
Russia Sees Opportunity in Europe as AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 Vaccine Falters | BioSpace

So surprised :sarcasm:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
My understanding is that they want to evaluate the (extremely low) risk of blood clots compared to the (relatively low) risk of actually catching COVID under 55 years old.

Unfortunately, people will only look at the headlines and assume the vaccine doesn't work or is unsafe. They have done such a poor job with messaging on the AZ vaccine that I seriously, seriously have to wonder if there are other motivations at play here. It's no secret that AZ being the only vaccine not sold for profit, or being a UK vaccine, has certain political considerations.

The numbers don't lie... The AZ vaccine doesn't have any higher incidence of blood clots when compared to the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. Or even no vaccines at all. I mean how many people here smoke? How many women are on birth control? How many people have taken an airplane? These things all have risks of blood clots that are magnitudes higher than the vaccines.

Yeah, the reason why this is targeting 55 and younger seems to be a combination of:

1) most cases of possible complications from vaccine were observed in 55 and below
2) higher risk of COVID complications in +55 outweighs the potential risks of complications from the vaccine.

also agree PR around AZ has been less than ideal from day one of botched trials. Hill to overcome now is pretty high.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Foreign agents have been at work for a while to discredit the Western vaccines.
COVID-19 Vaccine Myths Are Spreading Thanks to Russian Propaganda
Russians spread fake news over Oxford coronavirus vaccine | News | The Times
Russian disinformation campaign working to undermine confidence in Covid-19 vaccines used in US - CNNPolitics

AZ was to be the vaccine for more challenged countries since it's easier logistically than the mRNA vaccine due to storage conditions. However, it's also easy pickings due to the lower efficacy and the early blunders.

And now we get this:
Russia Sees Opportunity in Europe as AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 Vaccine Falters | BioSpace

So surprised :sarcasm:

I know Russia wants the European market and they are doing their best to discredit AZ.
Still trying to figure out what is the game Canada is playing right now......

My best guess.....it's coming from the US.

Canada's market should be an American one and not an European one.
The US has no intention to approve any other vaccine than American one....so they gave away their stock of AZ.
Moderna and Pfizer is starting to deliver more vaccine than Canada expected, friendly move here as many countries are struggling to get their hands on vaccine.

There's a world market here at stakes, let's not forget that.
Every country will play their game....

Chili is another country that is surprisingly vaccinating at a rapid pace, a lot faster than us.
We don't hear a lot about the Sinovac vaccine that they are using over there.....

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Canada's market should be an American one and not an European one.
The US has no intention to approve any other vaccine than American one....so they gave away their stock of AZ.
Moderna and Pfizer is starting to deliver more vaccine than Canada expected, friendly move here as many countries are struggling to get their hands on vaccine.

Got a source for US not wanting to approve anything outside of US made? My understanding was that FDA was waiting for USA AZ trials data before AZ could apply for emergency authorization with FDA. This is not expected to happen before May so until authorization could be granted, US has lent part of its AZ stockpile as they don't have any use for that at the moment.

Why There Is So Much Confusion About the AstraZeneca Vaccine

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Im hearing that people are getting vaccinated by hanging around pharmacies that are giving vaccines at the time before closing. Instead of them tossing the open vial, they inoculate who ever is willing.

Is there a schedule? I obviously can't hang around all day but if there's a vaccine schedule or something I can know what time to show up.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
in fact, in very rare occasion, when the body generates antibodies, it may secrete a substance that encourages blood clotting

Since nurses are young and predominantly female and were initially vaccinated, they observed a higher number of blood clot in younger women.

More details on the suspension below:

Source @BNODesk - Twitter

Exq8s7gWQAANzxL

Exq8wchW8AII14_

hijacking it from main covid thread

Toews19

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
If the US doesn't approve the AZ vaccine, and if we start getting vaccine passports, when travel opens up again, is there a chance someone could be refused entry into the States if they've had a vaccine that is not approved there?

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Oh shit. Do we have to call or stay outside? I’m going to pharmaprix tonight if so!

Reactions: dinodebino

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
"In good shape" is a relative term thats very subjective. If you follow the BMI guideline, you can be very unhealthy while being well graded.

Gyms, here, are essentials, especially during winter time. More so than booze and weed shops.
Saying you can go run outside and do push ups at home isn't an argument.

Sure, it's not as essential as an hospital or grocery store, but it's a huge influencer in keeping people healthier here.
Thats not debatable.

It is debatable.

You need FOOD, to live. You need HOSPITAL, to live.

You don't need GYM to live.

If no GYM wrecks your mention state that much, the same people making the vaccines, also offer pills for that.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
If the US doesn't approve the AZ vaccine, and if we start getting vaccine passports, when travel opens up again, is there a chance someone could be refused entry into the States if they've had a vaccine that is not approved there?

Unless a vaccine was proved to be ineffective now or at some point I can't imagine denial. AZ is the go to vaccine in UK, some EU countries and expected to be go to for many developing nations thanks to low cost. AZ efficacy is not questioned at the moment, now the issue is with possible side effects. If you get AZ and survive, you are protected. :)

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Got a source for US not wanting to approve anything outside of US made? My understanding was that FDA was waiting for USA AZ trials data before AZ could apply for emergency authorization with FDA. This is not expected to happen before May so until authorization could be granted, US has lent part of its AZ stockpile as they don't have any use for that at the moment.

Why There Is So Much Confusion About the AstraZeneca Vaccine

IF the US wanted to approved Astrazeneca, it would already be done.
Of course, they won't shut any doors down......but they could have approved it at the same time as Canada.

It will probably be approved at some point....unless another country using it start to stop giving it.....like Canada just did.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It is debatable.

You need FOOD, to live. You need HOSPITAL, to live.

You don't need GYM to live.

If no GYM wrecks your mention state that much, the same people making the vaccines, also offer pills for that.
The best way to protect yourself naturally is to build your health through good food and training. Exercising isn't debatable. The question is more about how much you actually do outside. The idea of going for a walk or an hour hike in Mont Royal as a standard for good physical health or fit is grotesquely pathetic.
Going for an hour walk is actually more of a recovery form of training.
Let's not kid ourselves, the vast majority of people stay the f*** inside during winter, save for the odd weekly walk/run, or wtv.
Heck, most that have equipment at home dont even use it because we do not associate home with training. It's not an environment conducive to training for most people.

And you need food to live, you actually do not need food on a daily basis and you definitely do not need UBER eats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad