OT: Covid-19 (Part 38) Close to You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Pandemic is a missed opportunity to promote healthy lifestyle choices. Not only benefits against COVID but for so many other issues. Unfortunately healthy lifestyle choices are a long term commitment and we live in a society of instant gratification. Give me magic pill (or vaccine) and let me go back to my crappy lifestyle.

https://www.cbc.ca/life/wellness/wa...ar-old-when-you-re-80-work-out-more-1.4588621

From now on, everyone does a set of 20 pushups when Price is scored on. 20 jumping jacks when Weber misses the net. Please consult with your family physician before committing to such an extreme physical challenge. :sarcasm:
Ya its not exactly rocket science, and as you said, a very big missed opportunity to promote better health and exercises.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The best way to protect yourself naturally is to build your health through good food and training. Exercising isn't debatable. The question is more about how much you actually do outside. The idea of going for a walk or an hour hike in Mont Royal as a standard for good physical health or fit is grotesquely pathetic.
Going for an hour walk is actually more of a recovery form of training.
Let's not kid ourselves, the vast majority of people stay the f*** inside during winter, save for the odd weekly walk/run, or wtv.
Heck, most that have equipment at home dont even use it because we do not associate home with training. It's not an environment conducive to training for most people.

And you need food to live, you actually do not need food on a daily basis and you definitely do not need UBER eats.

The issue is you downplay anything that isn't in a gym.

Weight and running only exist in the confines of gym space. It's nonsensical.

Saying physical activity is essential is true. 100%

Saying a room with weight machines and treadmills is essential is not true.

A friend of mine jogs outdoors all the time, even with gyms were open. I should tell him thats impossible, you can only exercise within 4 walls where you have to pay a subscription.

It's nonsensical.

You can do intensive training anywhere. You obviously know more about this subject than me but pretending the extent of working out outside of a gym is limited to leisure walks is very ignorant.

Reactions: Andy

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The issue is you downplay anything that isn't in a gym.

Weight and running only exist in the confines of gym space. It's nonsensical.

Saying physical activity is essential is true. 100%

Saying a room with weight machines and treadmills is essential is not true.

A friend of mine jogs outdoors all the time, even with gyms were open. I should tell him thats impossible, you can only exercise within 4 walls where you have to pay a subscription.

It's nonsensical.

You can do intensive training anywhere. You obviously know more about this subject than me but pretending the extent of working out outside of a gym is limited to leisure walks is very ignorant.

That's not, at all, what I'm saying. This is what makes this topic so frustrating to discuss.
You can go hunting. You can do home schooling. You also don't need booze and weed. You can do this you can do that. There is always something else you can do except for the need to hydrate, sleep, breath and eat. As long as you do that, you will live. Now that we've established this, we can start looking at the confine of our society and realistic living habits/conditions.
Of course you can train outside. You can also buy cement bags and train with that. You can do a bunch of different things. Nobody, not me or anyone else here, ever argued the only way to train is within the compounds of a gym.

A lot of people need to be placed in an environment conducive to their task in order to be productive.
Let me put you in the middle of a nightclub and ask you to write a report for work.
You don't have to work in the fitness industry to understand this.
I can look at myself, as someone that has some equipment at home, who's been training for almost 25 years, worked in the industry for over a decade, even for me...it's challenging to work out from home. CPU, cell phone, TV, food, laundry, dog, chores, etc...so many distractions, not to mention, for me home equates unwinding/relaxing.

So yes, it's essential in the same way McDonalds or SAQ is f***ing essential. Be it gyms, tennis courts, ice rinks, any facility that helps people improve their health should be considered essential. Your neighbour can enjoy going for a run outside in shit weather and his little HIIT at home is completely irrelevant.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
That's not, at all, what I'm saying. This is what makes this topic so frustrating to discuss.
You can go hunting. You can do home schooling. You also don't need booze and weed. You can do this you can do that. There is always something else you can do except for the need to hydrate, sleep, breath and eat. As long as you do that, you will live. Now that we've established this, we can start looking at the confine of our society and realistic living habits/conditions.
Of course you can train outside. You can also buy cement bags and train with that. You can do a bunch of different things. Nobody, not me or anyone else here, ever argued the only way to train is within the compounds of a gym.

A lot of people need to be placed in an environment conducive to their task in order to be productive.
Let me put you in the middle of a nightclub and ask you to write a report for work.
You don't have to work in the fitness industry to understand this.
I can look at myself, as someone that has some equipment at home, who's been training for almost 25 years, worked in the industry for over a decade, even for me...it's challenging to work out from home. CPU, cell phone, TV, food, laundry, dog, chores, etc...so many distractions, not to mention, for me home equates unwinding/relaxing.

So yes, it's essential in the same way McDonalds or SAQ is f***ing essential. Be it gyms, tennis courts, ice rinks, any facility that helps people improve their health should be considered essential. Your neighbour can enjoy going for a run outside in shit weather and his little HIIT at home is completely irrelevant.

While I understand your premise we're talking convenience. Many people do not like working from home as they prefer to be in the office as its conducive to do their task. Do you recommend they go physically to work during or figure it out at home? See what I mean? Because convenience isn't essential. The whole idea of convenience defies what essential is. That said, I do get what you're saying but again, that's convenience.

In the context of avoiding gatherings any activity where you are not gathered is fine. The issue isn't going for a jog is equivalent to tennis or playing hockey. That is not the issue. The issue is the distance between people. Therefore while some activities are engaging, fun and good for you, they are damaging in other respects.

SAQ should not be essential IMO. McDonalds and any restaurant doing drive thru or deliveries isn't infringing any covid hazards...closing them down is just out of spite.

Ironically though and this is just me so I can't apply it to everyone I actually hated the gym. I actually found myself enjoying working out alone much more motivating and enjoyable. I don't think thats the norm though.

Reactions: Ozmodiar and Andy

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
While I understand your premise we're talking convenience. Many people do not like working from home as they prefer to be in the office as its conducive to do their task. Do you recommend they go physically to work during or figure it out at home? See what I mean? Because convenience isn't essential. The whole idea of convenience defies what essential is. That said, I do get what you're saying but again, that's convenience.

In the context of avoiding gatherings any activity where you are not gathered is fine. The issue isn't going for a jog is equivalent to tennis or playing hockey. That is not the issue. The issue is the distance between people. Therefore while some activities are engaging, fun and good for you, they are damaging in other respects.

SAQ should not be essential IMO. McDonalds and any restaurant doing drive thru or deliveries isn't infringing any covid hazards...closing them down is just out of spite.

No it's not. It's about the double standard. Claiming gyms aren't essential, well fine, neither are these businesses. Actually it's the opposite, they're a nuisance to your health.
Keeping the unhealthy businesses open while closing the ones promoting fitness...Now that's ironic.

Ironically though and this is just me so I can't apply it to everyone I actually hated the gym. I actually found myself enjoying working out alone much more motivating and enjoyable. I don't think thats the norm though.

I don't expect people who dislike gyms or don't work out to see the real importance in gyms.
A lot of people have gone digital and used to training at home, good for them. Doesn't mean the rest who still need the facility should eat shit and f*** off.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No it's not. It's about the double standard. Claiming gyms aren't essential, well fine, neither are these businesses. Actually it's the opposite, they're a nuisance to your health.
Keeping the unhealthy businesses open while closing the ones promoting fitness...Now that's ironic.

I don't expect people who dislike gyms or don't work out to see the real importance in gyms.
A lot of people have gone digital and used to training at home, good for them. Doesn't mean the rest who still need the facility should eat shit and f*** off.

Infection probability is way way higher in a gym than in a McDonald drive through.

It is also higher in a gym than in a SAQ.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

The point is not to downgrade the necessity if the GYM for a minority of people.
The point is to know these place can drive outbreak.....although you kept saying they are as safe as other place, that's simple not true.

This Piece of Gym Equipment Has 362 Times More Bacteria Than a Toilet Seat | Women's Health (womenshealthmag.com)

That's one of the reason I've build my own gym in my house years ago. My gym is a lot more cleaner than a toilet seat.

And yes, they are places that can create outbreak

Plus de 40 cas de COVID-19 liés à une éclosion dans un gym de Québec | Coronavirus | Radio-Canada.ca (radio-canada.ca)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The point is not to downgrade the necessity if the GYM for a minority of people.
The point is to know these place can drive outbreak.....although you kept saying they are as safe as other place, that's simple not true.

This Piece of Gym Equipment Has 362 Times More Bacteria Than a Toilet Seat | Women's Health (womenshealthmag.com)

That's one of the reason I've build my own gym in my house years ago. My gym is a lot more cleaner than a toilet seat.

And yes, they are places that can create outbreak

Plus de 40 cas de COVID-19 liés à une éclosion dans un gym de Québec | Coronavirus | Radio-Canada.ca (radio-canada.ca)

So are schools and workplaces. Oh but those are essentials right? Well so are gyms. Just because you can work from home, doesn't mean I can. Even if I could, we don't.
Same here. Just because you or whoever else can get their exercise from tennis, doesn't mean others can.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
You dont say..
That's one of the main factor taken in consideration.

Schools are required for the well being of the children and required for the vulnerable kids.

Factories are required for the well being of the economy. It is required so the economy doesn't collapse.

Gym is a big spreader. You sweat, you're on the move, touching multiple equipments in a short period of time.

I agree the necessity of the mental and physical well being provided to the user.

The gym in Quebec is a good proof of it on the easy spreading

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Schools are required for the well being of the children and required for the vulnerable kids.

Factories are required for the well being of the economy. It is required so the economy doesn't collapse.

Gym is a big spreader. You sweat, you're on the move, touching multiple equipments in a short period of time.

I agree the necessity of the mental and physical well being provided to the user.

It's not a good example, it's more of an outlier, just like the gyms weren't a bug area of concern when they first opened, and public health never recommended closing them.

Maybe with new variants that's going to change, but then we will see outbreaks left and right as we do in schools.
And not all schools need to be open full time as they are. For the real young kids, fine but teenagers? No.

Last edited:

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com

I think schools should be closed too. It's the primary vector.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I think schools should be closed too. It's the primary vector.

It's a primary vector. 100% agree.

but it's a real necessity and is essential to keep schools open for vulnerable kids (bad parents, poor area, domestic violence...)
some kids don't eat breakfast and it's the school who gives them food.

for young kids, it's important to socialize and interact with others. I cut all my contacts so my kids can enjoy school and parks.

It's not a good example, it's more of an outlier, just like the gyms weren't a bug area of concern when they first opened, and public health never recommended closing them.

Maybe with new variants that's going to change, but then we will see outbreaks left and right as we do in schools.
And not all schools need to be open full time as they are. For the real young kids, fine but teenagers? No.

Agree for highschool, it's less necessary.

I'm all for keeping everything open with specific instructions and intervene locally.

i.e. Gym Center #1 outbreak, let's close it and see how we can address that.
Outaouais having trouble, let's close schools/restaurants for 2 weeks...

that's the way it should be done.

if we realize that gyms are generalized problems, let's close them. not the other way around.
With the bad decisions taken, they can let gyms open too

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So are schools and workplaces. Oh but those are essentials right? Well so are gyms. Just because you can work from home, doesn't mean I can. Even if I could, we don't.
Same here. Just because you or whoever else can get their exercise from tennis, doesn't mean others can.

EVERY kid goes to school and EVERYBODY is working to survive (some exception of course)
That's why they are consider essentials and gyms are not.....and I think those essentials should be shutdown for a week or two right now.

Gym will never be essentials cause only 10 to 15% of the population use them.
They do are essentials to those 10 to 15% that I agree completely.....

I trained for 1h30 minimum every morning (just finished actually), 7 days a week, no exception, first thing I do in the morning, can't live without it.

So I fully understand and agree with you that the need to exercice is essentials.
I just can't agree that you need the gyms in order to exercice cause I'm not.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Are we really devoting dozens of pages arguing on whether gyms are essential? Really?

I get making an argument to reopen them, but not on the basis of their being essential like schools, economic sectors etc? Cmon, it really isn't a debate.

You can find a dozen other logics for not keeping them open other than "essentialness". It really isn't.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Are we really devoting dozens of pages arguing on whether gyms are essential? Really?

I get making an argument to reopen them, but not on the basis of their being essential like schools, economic sectors etc? Cmon, it really isn't a debate.

You can find a dozen other logics for not keeping them open other than "essentialness". It really isn't.
They aren't essential.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
EVERY kid goes to school and EVERYBODY is working to survive (some exception of course)
That's why they are consider essentials and gyms are not.....and I think those essentials should be shutdown for a week or two right now.

Gym will never be essentials cause only 10 to 15% of the population use them.
They do are essentials to those 10 to 15% that I agree completely.....

I trained for 1h30 minimum every morning (just finished actually), 7 days a week, no exception, first thing I do in the morning, can't live without it.

So I fully understand and agree with you that the need to exercice is essentials.
I just can't agree that you need the gyms in order to exercice cause I'm not.
So what applies to you is the universal truth?
Some kids do just fine being homeschooled...so...guess it's okay?

The point isn't that everyone needs the gym, just like a ton of businesses are open without a universal need. But for some, yes, it's essential.
Given the context of our situation, promoting health, sports, and exercising should also be a priority.
But hey...forget that..Legault tells people to go out for a walk, that's great.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Really following what's going on in Israel......and every news coming out of there is really encouraging.
201 new cases reported yesterday, they have to go back to the very beginning of the pandemic to see numbers that low.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

I was just reading through these pages, thinking the same thing.

they're most definitely not essential. I think people try to make an argument for what *they* want open. :laugh:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So what applies to you is the universal truth?
Some kids do just fine being homeschooled...so...guess it's okay?

The point isn't that everyone needs the gym, just like a ton of businesses are open without a universal need. But for some, yes, it's essential.
Given the context of our situation, promoting health, sports, and exercising should also be a priority.
But hey...forget that..Legault tells people to go out for a walk, that's great.

No it's simply a mathematical observation.
If 95% of the population use something, I would consider it essentials.
If it's only 15% of the population, I would not consider it essentials.

I don't care what this businesses they are.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Yes, they are. You need to give access to exercise to those who need it.
Gyms, sports facilities, ski slopes, bike/hike trails, anything and everything that promotes improved physical health should be viewed as essential.
The fact so many have a tough time understanding this is a good reflection of our lazy and weak society.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yes, they are. You need to give access to exercise to those who need it.
No it's not, especially when access is contingent on subscription.

Nothing stops people from using subscription costs to purchase their own equipment, run outdoors, use public tennis spaces, parks, etc. Access is there.

Reactions: Forum93

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

The fact this number is so low is a bigger reason as to why they should remain open and be promoted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->