OT: Covid-19 (Part 38) Close to You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No it's not, especially when access is contingent on subscription.

Nothing stops people from using subscription costs to purchase their own equipment, run outdoors, use public tennis spaces, parks, etc. Access is there.

You ever tried playing tennis in January? It's so fun man. Great workout.

You have a population that is very out of shape, biggest cause of death in 2020 is ischaemic heart disease, which limits blood flow that carry oxygen through blood vessels to your heart. You know the best way to improve circulation? Exercise.
So ya, every single thing that contributes to increased exercise should be considered essential. Be it gyms, courts, rinks, slopes, trails, whatever it is, they should be promoted and open. Especially during a pandemic where people are doing even less! Staying home, drinking, eating like crap. All the more important.
Put measures in place, no question.
In case of an outbreak, close that specific venue.
If our cases are drastically too high and we need to go back to full lockdown, then okay.
Otherwise, you keep them open.

Again, the fact this is even a discussion is more of a reflection of

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
It's a primary vector. 100% agree.

but it's a real necessity and is essential to keep schools open for vulnerable kids (bad parents, poor area, domestic violence...)
some kids don't eat breakfast and it's the school who gives them food.

for young kids, it's important to socialize and interact with others. I cut all my contacts so my kids can enjoy school and parks.

Agree for highschool, it's less necessary.

I'm all for keeping everything open with specific instructions and intervene locally.

i.e. Gym Center #1 outbreak, let's close it and see how we can address that.
Outaouais having trouble, let's close schools/restaurants for 2 weeks...

that's the way it should be done.

if we realize that gyms are generalized problems, let's close them. not the other way around.
With the bad decisions taken, they can let gyms open too
Talk to the kids. Most of them do not want to be going to school right now. They're anxious, nervous, and scared about the way safety has been implemented at the school.

Source: am a teacher.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Talk to the kids. Most of them do not want to be going to school right now. They're anxious, nervous, and scared about the way safety has been implemented at the school.

I can't speak for all the kids. I can speak for mine and the parents of the kids my girl goes to school with that I speak to. And the kids want to stay in school.

My kid's school so far has done a good job. They had a few classes quarantine at the start of the year (my kid's class never had to). But since late September/early October, the school has been going like a normal year.

And when I say the school has done a good job doesn't mean things won't fall apart. But whether it's luck or the school implementing the health measures and parents/families being responsible or a combination of it all, at my kid's school, things have been going well.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

To be honest, the kids anxiety is the extension of the anxiety of the environment/parents.

I'm fully aware of the lack of security.
I'm fully aware of the danger of the virus.

I explained my daughter the reasons. The kids are way more resilient than we think.
She loves going to school because learning is not a punition. she doesn't like wearing mask. but she adapted to it. her hands are dry and bloody because of the sanitation.

She knows that she can catch the virus. she understands why she can't hug and see her grand parents.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
2ktn9l5y62q61.jpg

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Talk to the kids. Most of them do not want to be going to school right now. They're anxious, nervous, and scared about the way
Safety has been implemented at the school.

Some kids maybe. My kids are very happy to go to school and have never mentioned any fear or even thoughts about the protocols implemented. Only thing they said is they're unhappy about wearing the mask full time because "it's hard to breathe". They're 7 and 8.

Same for the other school aged kids around me, and my coworkers and clients pretty much report the same thing. Only heard of a 2 or 3 teens that would have liked to continue remote learning to be able to sleep later in the morning.

Saying a gym is essential for health reasons, to me, is an argument to say that all gyms should be free and run by the government.

I mean, I'm not particularly for nationalizing stuff, but that wouldnt be such a bad idea. Or subsidize it for the clients.
To be honest, the kids anxiety is the extension of the anxiety of the environment/parents.
Exactly.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I mean, I'm not particularly for nationalizing stuff, but that wouldnt be such a bad idea. Or subsidize it for the clients.

If it is essential then all gyms should be owned and operated by the government and 100% free. I should be able to walk into any gym I want, for free. It makes no sense to pay monthly fees for something that is an essential service we cannot live without. It makes even less sense that if I walk into some random gym, they will not let me use the facilities unless I become a member to that specific gym. Like a public library, if I get a gym card it should apply to every gym, every location, every brand.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If it is essential then all gyms should be owned and operated by the government and 100% free. I should be able to walk into any gym I want, for free. It makes no sense to pay monthly fees for something that is an essential service we cannot live without. It makes even less sense that if I walk into some random gym, they will not let me use the facilities unless I become a member to that specific gym. Like a public library, if I get a gym card it should apply to every gym, every location, every brand.
Enter dental care

:laugh: Biggest scam in history, next to the US healthcare system.

Reactions: Forum93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad