OT: Covid-19 (Part 38) Close to You

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Might have been discussed in last thread but Ontario going in wrong direction...

Which scares the shit out of me going forward in Quebec with the reduction in restrictions. In all honesty, we don’t have a choice, we can’t keep living as prisoners. I pray that the government will be quick to tighten things up of it gets bad again.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't think they're going to start removing restrictions much at all, even with the vaccines, if the variants continue to spread in Montreal. Vaccine efficacy for some of these variants is not great (SA and Brazil, especially). We can't let those variants establish themselves here. Until those are under control I suspect things will stay shut down. The measures in place currently are not enough to mitigate the spread of the more infectious variants. Especially if these variants actually do end up causing greater illness and more frequent hospitalizations, for even people under 50 as some of the news has indicated.

They need to do some serious f***ing test-trace-isolate, for real this time, on these variants. Do it now, before it gets out of control and they give up, like last time.

Reactions: llamateizer

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I don't think they're going to start removing restrictions much at all, even with the vaccines, if the variants continue to spread in Montreal. Vaccine efficacy for some of these variants is not great (SA and Brazil, especially). We can't let those variants establish themselves here. Until those are under control I suspect things will stay shut down. The measures in place currently are not enough to mitigate the spread of the more infectious variants. Especially if these variants actually do end up causing greater illness and more frequent hospitalizations, for even people under 50 as some of the news has indicated.

They need to do some serious f***ing test-trace-isolate, for real this time, on these variants. Do it now, before it gets out of control and they give up, like last time.

So we'll need different vaccines for the variants?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
So we'll need different vaccines for the variants?

Hard to say. Depending on the vaccine, the efficacy ranges quite a bit. For the 2 that seem to bypass the most (SA and Brazil), it seems to be 10%-50% depending on the vaccine (but these are still early numbers and based on small samples). While 50% is actually not horrible, 10% is not good enough. New vaccines for these variants are already being developed.

We don't necessarily need vaccines for these provided we do a good job of limiting the spread. It's still early enough to do so, and we SHOULD know better by now. We should.

This has some long-lasting implications, potentially. Not just more restrictions, but some serious geopolitical implications too. Countries like Brazil, and many countries in Africa, may end up shut off from the rest of the world. Things are already a shitshow in these places, and being shut off from the world will only make things worse there.

Reactions: dinodebino

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Which scares the shit out of me going forward in Quebec with the reduction in restrictions. In all honesty, we don’t have a choice, we can’t keep living as prisoners. I pray that the government will be quick to tighten things up of it gets bad again.
Ontario's vaccine rollout has been pretty bad and disorganized. Quebec leads Canada for vaccination.

Reactions: dinodebino

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Ontario's vaccine rollout has been pretty bad and disorganized. Quebec leads Canada for vaccination.
This part blows my mind.
Last year quebec first response to the virus was praised. Then around the fall the people started to turn on Legault and his decisions. But now, legault decision might be praised again. Delaying the second dose seems to be working well. The curfew while I despise it, is keeping the variants controlled.
If we can keep our shit together for the next 4 weeks. We are looking at a way better summer and fall Then last year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This part blows my mind.
Last year quebec first response to the virus was praised. Then around the fall the people started to turn on Legault and his decisions. But now, legault decision might be praised again. Delaying the second dose seems to be working well. The curfew while I despise it, is keeping the variants controlled.
If we can keep our shit together for the next 4 weeks. We are looking at a way better summer and fall Then last year.
The curfew definitely helped, but I see no reason to keep it in as the vulnerable get vaccinated and we know the efficacy remains high against them.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
The curfew definitely helped, but I see no reason to keep it in as the vulnerable get vaccinated and we know the efficacy remains high against them.
There's no reason to keep it after the 15th of April when all the 65+ have their first dose but they definitely won't remove it before while Ontario and Europe showing what could happen if people let their guard down.
I'm happy with 9h30 as long as it's lifted mid April. Allows us to see friends in Parcs again after work.

Reactions: schnapshot

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There's no reason to keep it after the 15th of April when all the 65+ have their first dose but they definitely won't remove it before while Ontario and Europe showing what could happen if people let their guard down.
I'm happy with 9h30 as long as it's lifted mid April. Allows us to see friends in Parcs again after work.

Meh...all this did was make work push their opening back further, instead of finishing at 6pm, it's now 8pm. Lol...:sarcasm:

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
in wich parallel universe ALL of QC 65+ get their first dose by april 15 of this year ??

agree, by then ALL 65+ (right?) will be vaccinated, so yeah, THEY should be allowed to see friends and family. If you're not of that age group, wait in line like the rest of us.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Pretty much my opinion.
in wich parallel universe ALL of QC 65+ get their first dose by april 15 of this year ??

agree, by then ALL 65+ (right?) will be vaccinated, so yeah, THEY should be allowed to see friends and family. If you're not of that age group, wait in line like the rest of us.
That's what the government announced.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal

That's what they said yesterday. Their target is April 15th. Everyone over 65 who wants will have had access to their first dose.

One key thing they keep saying is.
Everyone who wants will have access.
I wish someone asked what they think is the % of the population that wants to get vaxxed.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That's what they said yesterday. Their target is April 15th. Everyone over 65 who wants will have had access to their first dose.

One key thing they keep saying is.
Everyone who wants will have access.
I wish someone asked what they think is the % of the population that wants to get vaxxed.
ok, we're going from ALL 65+ to everyone who wants it... and what difference in % do you think it represent ?

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
ok, we're going from ALL 65+ to everyone who wants it... and what difference in % do you think it represent ?

Target:
Everyone under 65 by april 15th
Everyone who want it by june 24th. (1st dose)

I dont think the % that want it will change anything. By that time, unless some major issue, there will be plenty of doses available.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Target:
Everyone under 65 by april 15th
Everyone who want it by june 24th. (1st dose)

I dont think the % that want it will change anything. By that time, unless some major issue, there will be plenty of doses available.
so,you think everyone wants it ?

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Put your expectations to may 1st for gathering. It takes a few days/weeks before the vaccine works.

It takes around 4 weeks.

That something they will need to put a focus in the next few weeks. People think the they after they are good to go (espacially older people).

They will adjust the message

Reactions: llamateizer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad