OT: Covid-19 (Part 37) Nights Are Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Portail
Abitibi-Témiscamingue
80 and over
Bas-Saint-Laurent
80 and over
Capitale-Nationale
80 and over

Chaudière-Appalaches
85 and over
Côte-Nord
70 and over

Estrie
85 and over
Gaspésie
85 and over
Lanaudière
85 and over
Laurentides
85 and over
Laval
70 and over

Mauricie et Centre-du-Québec
85 and over
Montérégie
85 and over
Montréal
70 and over

Nord-du-Québec
85 and over
Outaouais
85 and over
Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean
85 and over

@A Loyal Dog you should be able to get an appointment for your parents now unless they are considered in Lanaudieres/Laurentides/Montérégie.
Thanks Treb! My mom just got vaccined with my grandmother (70 and 95 years old). My dad is the one we’ve been most worried of (he turns 68 in a month), but hopefully things will be moving fast!

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I live alone. So spending most nights alone is really starting to weigh on my mental health. It's been 2 months now.

Like I said, I get it if you live alone. But it's clear that lifting the curfew means increased private gatherings (which aren't supposed to happen anyway) and we have seen a dramatic decrease by eliminating this.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I live alone. So spending most nights alone is really starting to weigh on my mental health. It's been 2 months now.

I get it now.....my dog died last month, I also live alone now and I nevermind being alone on most night cause I had my buddy with me but now, since he's gone, I'm also starting to feel the pain.

We're getting there, go vaccine go!
A close friend of mine lives alone and has been going through the same thing as you guys. He's a social guy who was at the gym almost everyday... and then a year ago half his life was cut off. He also had a cat that died last year. He went through some dark times and did some really stupid shit. Please don't allow yourselves to spiral that low.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
But they said they were giving more priorities to MTL cause that's where they have problems, so that might explain the difference of age. As for the availability, I guess they can't overbook more vaccine than they are sure to get.

We are supposed to get some Astrazeneca this week and as more vaccine becomes available, more places will open and more availability wil open too. At least that's my guess.

I also expect to see Health Canada approved J&J this week too, so we might have way more vaccine in 2 weeks from now.

It is perfectly logical to start vaccinating Vancouver, GTA and Montreal before the rest of Canada - it's targeting by population density and it's what should be done.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If your parents live together, your dad should be able to get it too.

How?? When we called for my grandma who was over 85+ they allowed only my mom who is 70.

That is right. The other person must be 70+ so your dad just misses it for now.

COVID-19 VACCINE
Important! Do not forget to complete the registration of your accompanying person after completing your own appointment if they meet the following criteria:
  • They are 70 years of age or older;
  • They are present/on-site 3 days a week or more to support the family member who is 85 years of age or older.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
That is right. The other person must be 70+ so your dad just misses it for now.

Hmm my understanding was that if you live with someone who is eligible for the vaccine and you are within 10 years in age then you too can get it.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
My regular Monday update: The shit show that is the GMA

So Montreal, Laval, Montérégie account for 70% of all cases in Quebec over the last 7 days. Only 4 regions remain in the redzone as dictated by 10 or greater covid positive per 100k population. In order of worst to best: Laval, Montreal, Lanaudière and finally Laurentides. Most regions have fallen into the pale yellow zone.

As for the numbers, they continue to improve, but so very slowly that with the variant around, easing of restrictions, its a major cause for concern. If we want to have a summer like last year, we can't go into April/May with 1000s of cases a day and think by June it'll be cleared up in time for St. Jean...

Hospital numbers are much better, albeit a bit worse in the last few days. Feb 1st we had 1,144 patients in hospital, we are down to 612 today (March 1st). 7 day average of new cases was at 1,234 feb 1st and today its 775.

The daily case graph shows that in the last 10 days, our average hasn't really decreased:

Our rolling total of 14 days has kept falling but has really slowed down in the last 10 days.

Fingers crossed everybody! :crossfing

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I totally understand wanting the curfew lifted for people like GoodKiwi, or those who live alone/in a small place and like to walk outside at night.

But otherwise... what exactly are you doing after 8 pm that you want the curfew lifted so bad? Nobody has been able to explain this to me.
Honestly? I just want to walk to the couche and pick up a drink. Or take a lap at my local park. Those little things are the difference between losing your mind and at least keeping some semblance of real life.

honestly considered sneaking around and taking a late night stroll a few weeks back because at least the thrill of hiding from cops is more exciting than spending another night on the couch.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I totally understand wanting the curfew lifted for people like GoodKiwi, or those who live alone/in a small place and like to walk outside at night.

But otherwise... what exactly are you doing after 8 pm that you want the curfew lifted so bad? Nobody has been able to explain this to me.

Be able to just get out..it's a basic human right. If I suddenly have the urge to eat some chips at 9pm, I want to be able to buy some.
You're also allowed to meet other single but that's nearly impossible.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
They still allow travellers into the country. My sister's boyfriend is in robotics and travels across North America for work. He can enter Montreal at will (by a plane) but now has to mandatorily quarantine in a hotel for 14 days on his own (well, his company's) dime. Not that I have too many issues with that, but he's not an essential worker, so not sure why it's even allowed. He's an American, from a Chicago suburb.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They still allow travellers into the country. My sister's boyfriend is in robotics and travels across North America for work. He can enter Montreal at will (by a plane) but now has to mandatorily quarantine in a hotel for 14 days on his own (well, his company's) dime. Not that I have too many issues with that, but he's not an essential worker, so not sure why it's even allowed. He's an American, from a Chicago suburb.

I assume his robotics work can somehow be linked to an essential work?

What does he do? Install/repair robotics stuff?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

He provisions robots (software updates) that assemble cars at large factories.

So most robot "arms" come with a default firmware that coordinates their X/Y/Z axis. That usually needs tweaking depending on the job those arms need to perform. He applies patches to the firmware in order to make those huge arms move properly. He works in a literal steel cage to make sure he doesn't get crushed if he messes something up.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

tenor.gif

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He provisions robots (software updates) that assemble cars at large factories.

So most robot "arms" come with a default firmware that coordinates their X/Y/Z axis. That usually needs tweaking depending on the job those arms need to perform. He applies patches to the firmware in order to make those huge arms move properly. He works in a literal steel cage to make sure he doesn't get crushed if he messes something up.

Pretty sure that goes into service to essential industries.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Pretty sure that goes into service to essential industries.
Maybe, I guess my issue is the fact that he goes to places like Texas where everything's open to shoot guns and drink with his buddies. Didn't sound like he's into social distancing at all.

Also, why bring an American in? Does that mean we lack robotics experts in our car industry up here?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Maybe, I guess my issue is the fact that he goes to places like Texas where everything's open to shoot guns and drink with his buddies. Didn't sound like he's into social distancing at all.

Also, why bring an American in? Does that mean we lack robotics experts in our car industry up here?

I would assume it's something related to whoever makes the robot and the software.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Yep, that's exactly what it means. There are not that many robotics engineers and companies. We need to restart our manufacturing base.

Reactions: GoodKiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad