OT: Covid-19 (Part 37) Nights Are Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
And I wouldn't be surprised if more advanced were made regarding vaccines or medication that helped those people.
There's being cautious, there's being overly alarming.
I think you seriously under estimate the public health crises that can be caused by not being cautious.

Our society isn't anywhere close to being built on foundations that can handle large swaths of sick or ill people.

Latent effects from COVID potentially affecting an entire generation of youth in their later years could complete collapse a health care system.

Like other viruses before COVID, we do not know the long term effects.

Can the government's strike a better balance between normalcy and over protecting? Sure. But there is a very fine line to tread here considering how much we still don't know about this disease.

All the energy and anger people have been channeling against government measures need to be channeled towards industries and practices that increase the likelihood of another pandemic.

People have been far angrier about restrictions than the meat industry, for instance which, according to many scientists, employ practices that will engender another pandemic.

Our whole current situation is caused by the selfishness of humans, and we continue to use our selfishness to justify a quick return to normalcy, a blaming of institutions trying to help, while ignoring practices that may result in something much worse down the line.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think you seriously under estimate the public health crises that can be caused by not being cautious.

Our society isn't anywhere close to being built on foundations that can handle large swaths of sick or ill people.

Latent effects from COVID potentially affecting an entire generation of youth in their later years could complete collapse a health care system.

Like other viruses before COVID, we do not know the long term effects.

Can the government's strike a better balance between normalcy and over protecting? Sure. But there is a very fine line to tread here considering how much we still don't know about this disease.

All the energy and anger people have been channeling against government measures need to be channeled towards industries and practices that increase the likelihood of another pandemic.

People have been far angrier about restrictions than the meat industry, for instance which, according to many scientists, employ practices that will engender another pandemic.

Our whole current situation is caused by the selfishness of humans, and we continue to use our selfishness to justify a quick return to normalcy, a blaming of institutions trying to help, while ignoring practices that may result in something much worse down the line.
As I said, there's being cautious and then there's being overly alarming.

Keep masks..distancing..limits..sanitation..vaccine passports.
But reopen shit up and start allowing gatherings.

Reactions: Andy

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Brazilian here. It's definitely out of control, specially because of lack of commandment from president and absolute nonsense of big part of population. 300 parties are still common there :( But I don't think that the problem it's related to the new variant (yet).

There was never a lockdown there and even now when they are more strict they are talking about closing stuff for a couple weeks. Situation in hospitals is chaotic tough. I received some messages from some doctor friends and they mention that health system is in collapse in my origin city. One of my grandma's got it and they don't have more ICU spots in the hospital she is. For vaccination, it's on a smaller pace than here, but not so different on population percentage.

The thing is that it's too difficult to compare their culture with Canadian's. Sometimes I feel that just don't f***ing care - even a big part of my relatives. There still a lot of conversation going one about chloroquine, if virus is lethal or not and if they should save the economy.

It's a bit surreal there and although I couldn't go to my other grandma's 100 year old party and my mom can't get here because of flights suspension, I can't help but approve this travel ban mesures before they get their stuff going

It's really scary to see what is going on, and the lack of media coverage is very strange to me. I am hoping for all the best for you guys. I have friends and family in Brazil (though, I am Portuguese, not Brazilian).

Reactions: rockey

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Did I understand it right? Legault said that the goal is to have anyone who wants to be vaccinated will be vaccinated by June 24th (St-Jean Baptiste)?

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I thought starting that day, however reassuring the answers you’ve received here.

Title of the article on La Presse: ''Tous les Québécois auront reçu une dose d'ici le 24 juin, prévoit Legault''

Translation: Every Québécois will have received one dose by June 24, predicts Legault

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
EwsMPkXXIAY2Qvz

703 new cases in Quebec. And they had an increase of 19 of the variants.

one less hospitalization, but a big increase in ICU (+16)

Reactions: llamateizer

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
It's really scary to see what is going on, and the lack of media coverage is very strange to me. I am hoping for all the best for you guys. I have friends and family in Brazil (though, I am Portuguese, not Brazilian).
Wondering the same thing. My wife is also Portuguese and the situation is pretty bad in Portugal too.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Did I understand it right? Legault said that the goal is to have anyone who wants to be vaccinated will be vaccinated by June 24th (St-Jean Baptiste)?

yes, It's possible.

1- 804k already vaccinated
2- Kids aren't in that list (16 or 18+ tbd)
3- not 100% will be vaccinated (80%?)

8.5 M population
- 800K Vaccinated
- 1.6 M Kids
- 80% of adult will not get vaccinated ( 1.2 M)

4.88M for 100 days = 48800 vaccinations / day
350k/week

230k/w Pfizer
193k/w Moderna

That put good pressure on Trudeau. He can't miss the deliveries.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
As I said, there's being cautious and then there's being overly alarming.

Keep masks..distancing..limits..sanitation..vaccine passports.
But reopen shit up and start allowing gatherings.

There is no point in playing with fire. Society can wait 3 more months because it's likely to save us much more than 3 months on the backend of it.

Keep in mind that what you are forgetting in your "young people getting the virus and not going to the ICU model" is that you totally ignore the prospect of an age-breakthrough in a variant where those ICU realities change drastically. B.1.1.1.7 has some of that. The first wave of Spanish flu was also less lethal to the young, until it mutated in ways young adults were in great danger.

It's time to be patient and vaccinate. Reduce the variant risk, while still winning some time for quick adaptative vaccination to arrive in the fall. In the fall we'll have both the ability to produce all our vaccines, but also the ability to target variants in 4-6 months cycles.

Reactions: HotPie

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Another jump in cases, however it is the lowest Wednesday since September 23rd, 2020 when cases were 471 that day (the following Wednesday was up to 838 and then constant 1000s)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
yes, It's possible.

1- 804k already vaccinated
2- Kids aren't in that list (16 or 18+ tbd)
3- not 100% will be vaccinated (80%?)

8.5 M population
- 800K Vaccinated
- 1.6 M Kids
- 80% of adult will not get vaccinated ( 1.2 M)

4.88M for 100 days = 48800 vaccinations / day
350k/week

230k/w Pfizer
193k/w Moderna

That put good pressure on Trudeau. He can't miss the deliveries.

Trudeau is not producing vaccines. Can we stop politizing something so apolitical?

I'm not defending Trudeau, it's just not very wise to think the prime minister of a country has anything to do about complex systems like factories or the supply chain.

Pharma companies are self-interested to produce vaccines as fast as possible so they can make money as fast as possible. We'll have more vaccines than we can count soon enough.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
There is no point in playing with fire. Society can wait 3 more months because it's likely to save us much more than 3 months on the backend of it.

Keep in mind that what you are forgetting in your "young people getting the virus and not going to the ICU model" is that you totally ignore the prospect of an age-breakthrough in a variant where those ICU realities change drastically. B.1.1.1.7 has some of that. The first wave of Spanish flu was also less lethal to the young, until it mutated in ways young adults were in great danger.

It's time to be patient and vaccinate. Reduce the variant risk, while still winning some time for quick adaptative vaccination to arrive in the fall. In the fall we'll have both the ability to produce all our vaccines, but also the ability to target variants in 4-6 months cycles.

ya but we bored tho

Reactions: dinodebino

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

We typically reserve our public outrage for what's in front of our face. We started caring about the virus only once it reached us and when government measures restricted us. Beyond that, we're clueless and complacent. Most of us have no connection to the environments where these viruses originate -- the cattle industry, wet markets, etc. And let's be honest, we don't even know the right questions to ask. Are there safety precautions that can detect potential mutations in chickens, bats, camels, etc? Can they regulate wet markets? Is it possible to vaccinate these animals to prevent strains of viruses from developing in the first place? Maybe the solution is to vaccinate bats! Personally, I have no clue...

All I know is that nothing fires up our collective brains like a crisis. This pandemic has jolted science forward in its genetic mapping of viruses and vaccine development, plus we've entered a new age of information-sharing throughout the globe. Virology and virus response have just entered the nuclear age. We may look back at Covid-19 and decide we got lucky. There is a decent chance that everything we've learned the past year may come to our rescue when a more fatal virus arrives in the near future.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Trudeau is not producing vaccines. Can we stop politizing something so apolitical?

I'm not defending Trudeau, it's just not very wise to think the prime minister of a country has anything to do about complex systems like factories or the supply chain.

Pharma companies are self-interested to produce vaccines as fast as possible so they can make money as fast as possible. We'll have more vaccines than we can count soon enough.

He has to work the phones, as Habs fan we know how profitable it is...

Reactions: dinodebino

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

Agree, But politics is mixed in this.
The federal has the responsibility of the delivery to provinces.

The plan to vaccine quebecers on June 24th (not a random date) depends on the delivery from the federal.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
So Ontario is turning back into the red, and was I wrong to read that it has JUST STARTED vaccinated the 85+?

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
So Ontario is turning back into the red, and was I wrong to read that it has JUST STARTED vaccinated the 85+?
Ontario is well behind Quebec in vaccination timelines.
Ottawa’s rollout plans finish the age 80+ group by April 7th. And it it one of the faster regions in the province.
Hopefully the whole province will finish the 80+ group by then, or definitely by Friday, April 16th at the latest.

Then maybe the 70-79 will be done by early May and 60-69 by early June.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

We are being vaccinated. Legault just said yesterday everyone will have had the chance to get the first dose by June 24th.
Nobody is suggesting to open things up like it's a free for all, forego of measures, and pack up the Bell center.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We are being vaccinated. Legault just said yesterday everyone will have had the chance to get the first dose by June 24th.
Nobody is suggesting to open things up like it's a free for all, forego of measures, and pack up the Bell center.
If Quebec can keep the numbers -- specifically hospitalizations -- creeping downwards in the next 10 days, I think Legault will feel justified in re-opening. Ontario's spike is probably forcing us to wait and see a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad