OT: Covid-19 (Part 37) Nights Are Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The results are showing, and unless your friends are seeing the plans like the officers do, they don't really understand some of the challenges.

Now, I'll predict that you'll come here to complain when we'll get 1m vaccines a week and they are not all distributed in 2 days.

It's a big project, there will be delays. When I see 88%, I'm happy. I'm fully expecting that once the supply ramps up, it will take some scaling time, and that's fine + not incompetence.

My friends are high up in the army, they aren't grunts. The armed forces are horribly managed and when they need to work with governments it's even worse.

If we start getting doses in those numbers and maintain a strong ratio of distribution I will gladly take it back. If we go from 7k vaccinations/week to 14k and pretend like it's some big success then I will continue to call out the government for being incompetent, because they largely are and always have been.

To meet our targets of everyone who wants one getting their 2 doses by September, we need a minimum of 50k vaccinations/week starting today.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Japan always has been a high suicide countries. Back in 2016, they were 2nd worldwide.

Also important to note (before someone try to make that link) that Japan did not do lockdowns.

It seems it is disproportionately affecting women.
In Japan, more people died from suicide last month than from Covid in all of 2020 - CNN
There are several potential reasons for this. Women make up a larger percentage of part-time workers in the hotel, food service and retail industries -- where layoffs have been deep. Kobayashi said many of her friends have been laid off. "Japan has been ignoring women," she said. "This is a society where the weakest people are cut off first when something bad happens."
In a global study of more than 10,000 people, conducted by non-profit international aid organization CARE, 27% of women reported increased challenges with mental health during the pandemic, compared to 10% of men.
Compounding those worries about income, women have been dealing with skyrocketing unpaid care burdens, according to the study. For those who keep their jobs, when children are sent home from school or childcare centers, it often falls to mothers to take on those responsibilities, as well as their normal work duties.
Increased anxiety about the health and well-being of children has also put an extra burden on mothers during the pandemic.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
My grandmother is going to be in the first batch as she is 90+

with 100k+ /week things will go faster in the next weeks. that's good news

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'd like to see efficiency by age group. I suspect this vaccine like the Astra one is more effective the younger you are.

That was bunk. The Astra vaccine as it turns out is actually even more effective that the mRNA ones for older people. Some huge studies out of UK came out last week.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'd like to see efficiency by age group. I suspect this vaccine like the Astra one is more effective the younger you are.

It's hard to compare vaccine, this one was tested in zone where they were variants. So their numbers, unlike the others, include the results on variants like the South African one.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Japan always has been a high suicide countries. Back in 2016, they were 2nd worldwide.

Also important to note (before someone try to make that link) that Japan did not do lockdowns.

It seems it is disproportionately affecting women.
In Japan, more people died from suicide last month than from Covid in all of 2020 - CNN

When I grew up I heard that Sweden was one of the world leaders in suicide if one can use that expression?
The explanation that I also heard was that Sweden had better statistics or more thorough than in most other countries.

Reactions: Runner77

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
When I grew up I heard that Sweden was one of the world leaders in suicide if one can use that expression?
The explanation that I also heard was that Sweden had better statistics or more thorough than in most other countries.

Suicide Rate by Country 2021
It was very high before, but now it's pretty similar to other neighboring countries. 28th worldwide with 14.8 suicides per 100k.

There's an argument to be made though that many countries in Africa and the Middle East under report numbers or that people just die from something else such as violence, disease and starvation.

For example, Syria is reporting 1.9 suicides per 100k.

The ex-USSR are all pretty high with Russia and Lithuania being the top 2 with 31 and 31.9 suicides per 100k.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Suicide Rate by Country 2021
It was very high before, but now it's pretty similar to other neighboring countries. 28th worldwide with 14.8 suicides per 100k.

There's an argument to be made though that many countries in Africa and the Middle East under report numbers or that people just die from something else such as violence, disease and starvation.

For example, Syria is reporting 1.9 suicides per 100k.

The ex-USSR are all pretty high with Russia and Lithuania being the top 2 with 31 and 31.9 suicides per 100k.
The Middle East, for all its problems, has a better social net that people can fall back on in dire times. Families don't drift apart like they do here, which provides a better support system. That coupled with the region's biggest religion (Islam) declaring suicide a sin, keeps the number of suicide cases very low. So I highly doubt it has anything to do with under reporting.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The Middle East, for all its problems, has a better social net that people can fall back on in dire times. Families don't drift apart like they do here, which provides a better support system. That coupled with the region's biggest religion (Islam) declaring suicide a sin, keeps the number of suicide cases very low. So I highly doubt it has anything to do with under reporting.

Suicide is a sin in pretty much any religion.

Anyway, not really a topic we should dwell on.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Day 1/orientation for my new job at CIUSSS vaccination department today. Quite excited, it's gonna be a hell of a day though(7am-6pm).
I'm not even sure I understand what exactly I'll be doing lol.

Might miss a part of the first period tonight though.
:(

The game is at 8:00 pm EST. you might miss the last period if you started at 7 :).

Great to see the vaccine rolling. got an appointment for my grandmother through internet. easy peasy

Reactions: Holystik

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

What's interesting is that wherever you are, the same mutations seem to pop up. It's encouraging in a way since it hints at the virus having limited ways to evade since he always goes the same way. If that way is covered by the vaccine, which it seems to be, we may be able to avoid vaccine evading variants until it gets exposed for a long time to a vaccinated population. That would mean the need of a booster in the near future would be lessened.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
What's interesting is that wherever you are, the same mutations seem to pop up. It's encouraging in a way since it hints at the virus having limited ways to evade since he always goes the same way. If that way is covered by the vaccine, which it seems to be, we may be able to avoid vaccine evading variants until it gets exposed for a long time to a vaccinated population. That would mean the need of a booster in the near future would be lessened.

It's just hanging on until we can all get vacinated. Seeing the school outbreaks is becoming more and more concerning. I think now 3 schools in CSL are now closed or reduced because of outbreaks. The numbers have stabilized, which only means bad things for Montreal since they have half the cases of Quebec. Feels like March break is about to be a total shit show.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Welcome to Canada, Astra-Zeneca. May you fill fridges and arms in the coming weeks and months.

They took my Carte Soleil number at work because we're lining up to be shot. What's the point, I've already had COVID.

This is not tested yet in Covid, but in many other diseases, vaccination provides 2-3x better immunization than the diseases themselves.

Hopefully, we get J&J approved soon as well.

Reactions: llamateizer

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Why don’t they just close all schools in Montreal for 1 month. In this 1 month vaccine all the vulnerable. And then go back to normal. Is it that f***ing complicated? Montreal is still a shit show.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Welcome to Canada, Astra-Zeneca. May you fill fridges and arms in the coming weeks and months.

They took my Carte Soleil number at work because we're lining up to be shot. What's the point, I've already had COVID.

This is not tested yet in Covid, but in many other diseases, vaccination provides 2-3x better immunization than the diseases themselves.

Hopefully, we get J&J approved soon as well.

Robust spike antibody responses and increased reactogenicity in seropositive individuals after a single dose of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccine

Reactions: SOLR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad