OT: Covid-19 (Part 37) Nights Are Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm also in my mid-30s and 100% agree with everything you say here.

I was born and raised in Montreal, and I remember playing outside all day with my friends from a very early age. Not just in my backyard neither, we would walk in the neighborhood unsupervised.

Even with teenagers I don't see them hanging out in city parks, like we used to do to drink alcohol and what not. Where are they? We would be 20-30 guys chilling in the park from 19h to night; hard to miss. And we had no cellphones, but we didn't need to call each other. We knew the group would be there around 19h, so we just showed up.

Current society has no social fabric, little community spirit except in pockets.
Like...how often do you find yourself in a park at 7pm anyways?
If not for this pandemic, I can't tell you the last time I went for a walk in the park.

This summer it was packed though.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Like...how often do you find yourself in a park at 7pm anyways?
If not for this pandemic, I can't tell you the last time I went for a walk in the park.

This summer it was packed though.

Quite often in the summer, when I'm biking just to roam around the city. I love to pass through parks in those circumstances, to change the scenery. Besides, no need to go inside the park to spot a group of 20+ teenagers drinking alcohol.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Quite often in the summer, when I'm biking just to roam around the city. I love to pass through parks in those circumstances, to change the scenery. Besides, no need to go inside the park to spot a group of 20+ teenagers drinking alcohol.
I dont think the discussion about kids getting wasted in parks in evening.
It was about seeing kids play outside during the day.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I dont think the discussion about kids getting wasted in parks in evening.
It was about seeing kids play outside during the day.

So why were you talking about not walking in parks after 7pm then? Either stay on topic yourself or don't complain when others diverge.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I'm also in my mid-30s and 100% agree with everything you say here.

I was born and raised in Montreal, and I remember playing outside all day with my friends from a very early age. Not just in my backyard neither, we would walk in the neighborhood unsupervised.

Even with teenagers I don't see them hanging out in city parks, like we used to do to drink alcohol and what not. Where are they? We would be 20-30 guys chilling in the park from 19h to night; hard to miss. And we had no cellphones, but we didn't need to call each other. We knew the group would be there around 19h, so we just showed up.

Current society has no social fabric, little community spirit except in pockets.

+1

Mid 30's as well, and also agree.

Grew up in Rosemont... we were ALWAYS outside, unsupervised, with every kid in the neighborhood.

Kids will never have that kind of upbringing any longer, and of course this started way before COVID. It's very sad.

Reactions: PhysicX

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Welp.

Looks like we're getting mandatory (or as close to it as possible) vaccinations worldwide of this stuff.

I don't see it that way.....pretty much the opposite.
If the vaccine is that good at preventing transmission, that means less shots is needed in order to stop the pandemic.

If the vaccine wasn't able to stop transmission, then almost everyone would need to be vaccinated in order to stop it.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I don't see it that way.....pretty much the opposite.
If the vaccine is that good at preventing transmission, that means less shots is needed in order to stop the pandemic.

If the vaccine wasn't able to stop transmission, then almost everyone would need to be vaccinated in order to stop it.

That's a fair and very valid point. Objectively speaking, 100% agree.

However, I feel that considering how effective it is at seemingly everything we would want a vaccine to be effective at, people who refuse to take it will be scolded and shunned.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Today I took my kids to an ice rink near our place to skate. I didn't bring our hockey sticks because I knew we were not allowed.

There were a bunch of kids though who were playing hockey, then came the security guard and kicked them out. Despite knowing this was going to happen, I couldn't but feel this was one of the most pathetic things I've seen in this country. Kicking out kids for playing hockey. Never would have thought this could happen.

Half an hour later, a new group of kids came to play hockey, same dude came to kick them out. These kids were smart though, they removed their sticks and just played 'soccer hockey'. The security guy couldn't prevent them because there is no rule against that. I mean, is there more proof on how more stupid can this rule be? Just let the kids have some fun!

Reactions: llamateizer

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Today I took my kids to an ice rink near our place to skate. I didn't bring our hockey sticks because I knew we were not allowed.

There were a bunch of kids though who were playing hockey, then came the security guard and kicked them out. Despite knowing this was going to happen, I couldn't but feel this was one of the most pathetic things I've seen in this country. Kicking out kids for playing hockey. Never would have thought this could happen.

Half an hour later, a new group of kids came to play hockey, same dude came to kick them out. These kids were smart though, they removed their sticks and just played 'soccer hockey'. The security guy couldn't prevent them because there is no rule against that. I mean, is there more proof on how more stupid can this rule be? Just let the kids have some fun!

Keep the schools open... pack 30 days into an indoor classroom for hours at a time, yet kids can't play hockey, OUTSIDE...........

Perfectly normal, perfectly healthy, nothing to see here folks.

I legitimately feel so bad for kids growing up through this. Horrible.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So why were you talking about not walking in parks after 7pm then? Either stay on topic yourself or don't complain when others diverge.

I used to stay out and play in parks until night..Not sure what any of this has to do with kids getting drunk in the parks. lol
Anyways I don't disagree. Before this pandemic, kids played outside less. I think covid has changed that though, everyone is fed up of being inside.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
+1

Mid 30's as well, and also agree.

Grew up in Rosemont... we were ALWAYS outside, unsupervised, with every kid in the neighborhood.

Kids will never have that kind of upbringing any longer, and of course this started way before COVID. It's very sad.

There is something to be said about the demographics too though. I grew up in Ville St-Laurent, there was enough neighbourhood kids to organize baseball games during the summer. Baseball, hockey, basketball, super soaker battles, snowball fights....always out playing. I drive by the area for nostalgia every now and then...it's definitely not the same. Then again, those kids grew up, moved away, the parents still have the houses there so...if we just looked at that, you'd think barely any kids ever come out, but reality might simply be there is way less of them in that neighbourhood anymore.
Families have moved further into the suburbs.

Reactions: River Meadow

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I don't get why they don't allow kids to play hockey. It's beyond dumb.

Reactions: River Meadow

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
There is something to be said about the demographics too though. I grew up in Ville St-Laurent, there was enough neighbourhood kids to organize baseball games during the summer. Baseball, hockey, basketball, super soaker battles, snowball fights....always out playing. I drive by the area for nostalgia every now and then...it's definitely not the same. Then again, those kids grew up, moved away, the parents still have the houses there so...if we just looked at that, you'd think barely any kids ever come out, but reality might simply be there is way less of them in that neighbourhood anymore.
Families have moved further into the suburbs.

Yes, fair point.

I grew up on 5ieme ave, in Rosemont.

That neighborhood is NOT what it was 20+ years ago, not by a long shot. Not even a tiny bit, and the same can be said for any area pretty much I would think.

Ultimately, it was a good time to grow up all things considered, with tons of kids around + technology not as big as it is now. No social media, no cell phone so people HAD to reach out physically....

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes, fair point.

I grew up on 5ieme ave, in Rosemont.

That neighborhood is NOT what it was 20+ years ago, not by a long shot. Not even a tiny bit, and the same can be said for any area pretty much I would think.

Ultimately, it was a good time to grow up all things considered, with tons of kids around + technology not as big as it is now. No social media, no cell phone so people HAD to reach out physically....

Yup. I still remember actually writing love letters and sending them by mail. Or when you were on the phone with a friend and then your mom picked up to start dialing ''Ma!! I'm on the phone..I'm on the phone!'' Having that rotating dialer. A TV with a knob to change channels. A disposable kodak camera. A Walkman. Etc.
Different times. I imagine our parents probably felt the same though.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
We may be plateauing. Generally Mondays have been lower than usual, well today it was higher than last Monday. Hospital numbers went up slightly also. It's one day, but looks bad when your 7 day average increases and your 2 week rolling total line plateaus.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Cases are starting to climb up in Montreal again. 416 cases reported in Montreal alone on a Monday is not good news.

But it’s okay, the vaccine is readily available in all rural areas and provinces with a total of 5 cases. They NEED to make Montreal a priority already (but they won’t).

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Cases are starting to climb up in Montreal again. 416 cases reported in Montreal alone on a Monday is not good news.

But it’s okay, the vaccine is readily available in all rural areas and provinces with a total of 5 cases. They NEED to make Montreal a priority already (but they won’t).

75% of all cases today are in the GMA (415 mtl, 109 monteregie and 97 Laval) Only Monteregie is actually under the redzone limit of 143 for that region. Laval and Montreal are both double their redzone limit (207 and 44)

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
75% of all cases today are in the GMA (415 mtl, 109 monteregie and 97 Laval) Only Monteregie is actually under the redzone limit of 143 for that region. Laval and Montreal are both double their redzone limit (207 and 44)
Exactly. They should make Montreal area a priority for the vaccine. Outside of the greater Montreal area, the rest of Quebec is pretty okay. The maritimes are perfectly okay- my good friends live in NB and they’re out and about every night. Yet, everyone’s getting vaccines, when GMA should be put in priority. We’ve suffered long enough, lost significantly more people to the virus than any other city in Canada. Lost more businesses. Have way, WAY more cases. Curfew, etc etc.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Wonder if today is day 1 of our 3rd wave. Pretty crazy that 75% of cases are from the Montreal Region.
Our government is killing us. Physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially. They need to put emphasis on mass-vaccinating the greater Montreal area. We’re in deep trouble and require help.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
12/1512/204716
12/2112/2712485
12/281/39119
1/41/1053914
1/111/1754242
1/181/2465216
1/251/3117512
2/12/717627
2/82/1434756
2/152/2150014
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Weekly vaccinataions. that's a good news as availability is increasing, weather is getting milder and concerned population is more mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad