OT: Covid-19 (Part 32) Numbers Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Lets hope Covid squashes the insane child care market prices. It was out of control! In fact, I see this as a business opportunity... create something like "skip the dishes" or "Uber" where stay at home people can watch your kids at their house for a reasonable price that don't make you go bankrupt and they make an honest profit for their time. You can create a system where people are pre qualified and as a parent, you can also interview them. I don't know if it would work but where there is a will, there is a way. I remember when people were worried about Uber drivers not driving as safe as someone who drives a taxi. :laugh:

I have so many stories of terrible driving by taxi drivers that I would never be worried about that from Uber :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have so many stories of terrible driving by taxi drivers that I would never be worried about that from Uber :laugh:

Agreed! But some people tried to say you were more safe with a regular taxi driver. What a bunch of BS! We actually just got Uber approved in Halifax recently. I've seen some of the idiots talk about that as well. Same as when we went from 1 year of car inspections to 2.... they said, you would have more vehicle fall apart on the roads. Wrong! So yeah... I don't want to shift Covid into a Child Care narrative but maybe, just maybe, Covid helps the human race adjust some flawed things we had going on. I'm doubtful cause the billionaires of the world want nothing to do with ethics. If we had a better ethics balance in our economy, maybe Covid would be easier to manage?

Covid is dangerous to some and not others. We are trying to protect everyone but watching the politicians trying to manage this brings up the flaws we have gravitated towards over the years. People don't have money saved to survive not working for 6 months and we are talking about households with two incomes! Trying to change the world in HF boards :facepalm: :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Paddyjack

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The public health guidelines are not "you can't leave your house at all."
The public health guidelines constantly change, and they've been wrong before.
If you want to eradicate this virus and keep people safe, then you keep them home, that's it. You not doing that, then you're putting yourself and others at risk anytime you step out.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We need to get back to one salary supporting one household. The greedy ones have chipped into that formula as women started to work more over the years and now most families need two incomes to support one household. Balance is the right solution and Covid-19 management incompetence has exposed the flaws to our quality of life. I've seen some people pay $900/month on childcare. That's ridiculous! One example of capitalism taking advantage of a family need. I have talked to some friends about them saving a ton of money by working from home cause they can also look after their children at the same time. Interesting developments... Are the politicians worried about child care industry in terms of protecting the economy? Hope not, that was a flaw in terms of trying to make profits off of to begin with!

Anyways... I just think Covid has exposed the flaws in our quality of life formula. Will humans learn? Probably but more like you said... More working from home opening up peoples mind and better hygiene... minor adjustments
Our flaws are more in how poorly we were prepared.
Ya, nobody should ever be as rich as Besos, but that's another matter.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The public health guidelines constantly change, and they've been wrong before.
If you want to eradicate this virus and keep people safe, then you keep them home, that's it. You not doing that, then you're putting yourself and others at risk anytime you step out.

You are too smart compared to the general public who follow rules like a heard of sheep. It's pretty simple... if you care about limiting the spread... you change your lifestyle and stay home as much as you can. The public health guidelines are tricky to manage cause they are trying to keep the economy going and also keeping people safe where they limit spread. It's basically Oxymoron type management from our politicians and health care leaders. They are human and they will make mistakes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our flaws are more in how poorly we were prepared.
Ya, nobody should ever be as rich as Besos, but that's another matter.

But I think the flaws in how poorly we are prepared has to do with how our economy is set up. Feed the rich and the majority of the public go pay check to pay check in the process. Deeper conversation yes but everything starts at the top, not at the bottom or in the middle. Ironically, Besos got substantially richer during the Covid era so far. Go figure eh.

Schools starting up again were not properly managed. It's a shit show! Why? Lack of funds to train teachers on how to teach online? Too many opinions which dragged things along where they were not prepared? I don't know why but what I do know is we are distracted by money most often.

Who in Canada decided that vaccine manufacturing was not required? Probably the same people or type of thinking that decided we didn't need new war ships or planes. Lets just buy it from someone else when it's the 11th hour or try to recreate a whole new ship building industry that cost more at a later date (that type of thinking). As appose to sustainable business that we keep here in Canada? I call that balance!

Balance is the key but we are way to reactive vs proactive. Being a reactive type manager or thinker for a long period of time might be the reason why we are incompetent at being prepared for the 2nd waive of Covid. More proof? Voting for Blue then Red every few years forces us to be reactive vs proactive. Our politicians are trained and culturized to react. Being proactive is not part of their training and the heard of sheep voters are no better! :laugh:

How do we have have our leaders properly prepare for the 2nd waive of Covid when they have been culturized into reactive type thinkers?

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This virus is not foodborne, you don't have to worry about that. You'd need a sick person to flat out sneeze on your food but if someone did that precovid he wouldn't serve you that food.

There have been no recent studies saying that it survives on cooked food.

That same view has been held since at least February- March, where several sources say as much.

However, we have also seen several new developments about the virus since then. There are a lot of symptoms and health consequences that were not known. The virus is still a mystery on several fronts. Could well be that saliva in the form of spittle and aerosols landing on cooked food remains a non-issue.

When I mentioned the takeout place I used to go to, my red flag was the food preparer choosing to no longer wear a mask. Everyone else visiting the restaurant was wearing masks, why shouldn't he? I think it would be reassuring to clients to see everyone wearing a mask on the premises. I don't know that it's too much to ask, we're in the middle of rising virus numbers.

As to your example of a sick person sneezing or having covid symptoms and taking themselves out and not working, it really depends on several factors that are mostly unverifiable for us as clients. For instance, the restaurant I went to is owned and operated by 2 individuals who are always on the job. Who is monitoring them? Would they voluntarily close the restaurant if one of them gets symptoms? They have rent and overhead to pay. Would they do the right thing? Who can tell they are even having symptoms -- it's not as if they'd be taking a test and you could verify it.

So much of this depends on the goodwill of people involved when it comes to small restaurants, family owned set ups. I think it's more likely that someone with covid symptoms gets flagged in a restaurant where there are a lot of employees in the kitchen, perhaps they have more recurring testing, there are protocols that are enforced, etc. But at a mom and pop restaurant, you don't have those extra layers of surveillance -- you're really at the mercy of the goodwill of those who are controlling that environment since they are privy to information that they may not share with you and which you can't readily verify. And even testing has its shortcomings.

Hence my comment about rather being safe than sorry. I strongly believe that if all the customers who show up for a takeout at a fast food restaurant are wearing masks, then so should the people preparing food. In my case, one of the restaurant owners ditched his mask when I was there. To me, that signaled that he didn't care enough about me for me to keep ordering from his establishment.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Obviously a better capacity at testing, if you compare with March-April will make some mild cases appear that were not counted before.... however the current capacity was the same in August when numbers were low, and so the current surge is not due to more testing, but rather that more people get sick, so more people are exposed that go for testing, etc.
I dont remember seeing this many testing sites in August

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But I think the flaws in how poorly we are prepared has to do with how our economy is set up. Feed the rich and the majority of the public go pay check to pay check in the process. Deeper conversation yes but everything starts at the top, not at the bottom or in the middle. Ironically, Besos got substantially richer during the Covid era so far. Go figure eh.

Schools starting up again were not properly managed. It's a shit show! Why? Lack of funds to train teachers on how to teach online? Too many opinions which dragged things along where they were not prepared? I don't know why but what I do know is we are distracted by money most often.

Who in Canada decided that vaccine manufacturing was not required? Probably the same people or type of thinking that decided we didn't need new war ships or planes. Lets just buy it from someone else when it's the 11th hour or try to recreate a whole new ship building industry that cost more at a later date (that type of thinking). As appose to sustainable business that we keep here in Canada? I call that balance!

Balance is the key but we are way to reactive vs proactive. Being a reactive type manager or thinker for a long period of time might be the reason why we are incompetent at being prepared for the 2nd waive of Covid. More proof? Voting for Blue then Red every few years forces us to be reactive vs proactive. Our politicians are trained and culturized to react. Being proactive is not part of their training and the heard of sheep voters are no better! :laugh:

How do we have have our leaders properly prepare for the 2nd waive of Covid when they have been culturized into reactive type thinkers?
Meh, there are other capitalist countries who handled things better. Hong Kong for instance whos very top rich and poor people literally live in cages, they handled things very well, especially considering their proximity and heavy traffic coming from mainland China.

Our schools, for example, didn't have to be reopened. Sure, sucks for the learning and creates issues with work for parents, but there was no reason to force this return to school despite not being ready.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There have been no recent studies saying that it survives on cooked food.

That same view has been held since at least February- March, where several sources say as much.

However, we have also seen several new developments about the virus since then. There are a lot of symptoms and health consequences that were not known. The virus is still a mystery on several fronts. Could well be that saliva in the form of spittle and aerosols landing on cooked food remains a non-issue.

When I mentioned the takeout place I used to go to, my red flag was the food preparer choosing to no longer wear a mask. Everyone else visiting the restaurant was wearing masks, why shouldn't he? I think it would be reassuring to clients to see everyone wearing a mask on the premises. I don't know that it's too much to ask, we're in the middle of rising virus numbers.

As to your example of a sick person sneezing or having covid symptoms and taking themselves out and not working, it really depends on several factors that are mostly unverifiable for us as clients. For instance, the restaurant I went to is owned and operated by 2 individuals who are always on the job. Who is monitoring them? Would they voluntarily close the restaurant if one of them gets symptoms? They have rent and overhead to pay. Would they do the right thing? Who can tell they are even having symptoms -- it's not as if they'd be taking a test and you could verify it.

So much of this depends on the goodwill of people involved when it comes to small restaurants, family owned set ups. I think it's more likely that someone with covid symptoms gets flagged in a restaurant where there are a lot of employees in the kitchen, perhaps they have more recurring testing, there are protocols that are enforced, etc. But at a mom and pop restaurant, you don't have those extra layers of surveillance -- you're really at the mercy of the goodwill of those who are controlling that environment since they are privy to information that they may not share with you and which you can't readily verify. And even testing has its shortcomings.

Hence my comment about rather being safe than sorry. I strongly believe that if all the customers who show up for a takeout at a fast food restaurant are wearing masks, then so should the people preparing food. In my case, one of the restaurant owners ditched his mask when I was there. To me, that signaled that he didn't care enough about me for me to keep ordering from his establishment.
I think if this virus was a risk through food it would have been clear by now because so many people order out. We would definitely know by now.

As for that specific restaurant, I agree, I'd probably stay away but mostly because of the guy's attitude. I wouldn't be scared of catching it through my food, just think the guy's an idiot.

Reactions: Runner77

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Going from Canada to Orlando for work tomorrow. Wish me luck, going to the crazies country lol
:laugh:

I will pray for ya'll since you going to the bible belt and probably to one of the craziest states in the US! Here you will find council members taking out contracts on fellow council members etc. :laugh:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I know that and it wasn't my point. My point was covid numbers only going up on record because more and more people are testing. People will still have covid if they don't test, it just wouldn't go on record

And that's a very good thing. We need to know who has it. We were not testing nearly enough in the first wave. Any time your positive rate is over 5%, you are not testing enough.

Reactions: the_fan

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
We are still not testing enough. From the numbers I get off insp, they are getting results of maybe 10k a day, with over 1k positive. We haven't had under 10% positive since November 2nd and even then, they changed the negative tests, they go back and put the negative test to the day of or day after the test was administered. Its a f***ing mess how they report information now.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I was made aware of the alert by a few of my friends at CRTC. Or whatever's the acronym in EN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad