OT: Covid-19 (Part 32) Numbers Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If you need to get hit in the face before acting......you'll always be 2 steps behind.
We already are two steps behind. The measures we have aren't working; the measures we need aren't being done. The biggest spreaders are schools and home gatherings. The former won't be closed, the latter is not being enforced strongly enough.

Are campuses monitoring dorms for parties? If not, what the hell are they waiting for?

Create a snitch-line to alert police to home gatherings. One or two visitors is one thing; a party is a whole other thing. There were multiple Halloween parties last weekend; paying money for legit tips might've stopped them.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I legit kinda forgot we were waiting on a vaccine for a moment there

like my brain just accepted that this is life now :laugh:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Somebody visiting a sibling or a parent is one thing. Having a party is another and has absolutely no justification or explanation save for idiocy and selfishness. @Kriss E mentioned boozing in Saudi Arabia as an example. I don't agree with that at all. People drinking alcohol in Saudi Arabia aren't putting others life at risk (at least health-wise) by doing it. They're subverting an oppressive regime. Folks partying are essentially saying 'f*** everybody else, someone's life isn't worth my not partying' whether they realize it or not. They're buttholes. Full stop. Age isn't an excuse there. They're old enough to know better.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Positivity rate slowly but surely climbing... something's going to have to give at some point unless the gov't is willing to accept rates > 15% or maybe they're mainly concerned w/t hospitalizations/ICU?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
We already are two steps behind. The measures we have aren't working; the measures we need aren't being done. The biggest spreaders are schools and home gatherings. The former won't be closed, the latter is not being enforced strongly enough.

Are campuses monitoring dorms for parties? If not, what the hell are they waiting for?

Create a snitch-line to alert police to home gatherings. One or two visitors is one thing; a party is a whole other thing. There were multiple Halloween parties last weekend; paying money for legit tips might've stopped them.

This is where I answer this: We are not smart as a society.
Said it multiple time here, we're living in an Idiocracy.

The measures aren't working cause people need measures to begin with. We know how the virus spread and where.
It's spread from person to person.....not matter where you are. Masks are not bulletproof and social distancing isn't perfect either.

I was wearing a mask before it was made mandatory cause it was the smart thing to do.......but for a large chunk in needed to be made mandatory cause they were not smart enough to do it on their own.

We would need only one measure if we would be smart, only one:
Limiting our social contact/interaction to the bare minimum.
Not matter what is open or not...no matter what are the measures in place.

Like restaurants...yeah let's keep them open, but the smart thing to do would be NOT to go there or at the very least, go there with your household but not with friends and people you usually don't live with. But since we're not smart most people won't give a shit as they did when it was open.

Put any measures in places and it won't change that fact...it will help but it won't stopped it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Somebody visiting a sibling or a parent is one thing. Having a party is another and has absolutely no justification or explanation save for idiocy and selfishness. @Kriss E mentioned boozing in Saudi Arabia as an example. I don't agree with that at all. People drinking alcohol in Saudi Arabia aren't putting others life at risk (at least health-wise) by doing it. They're just subverting an oppressive regime. Folks partying are essentially saying 'f*** everybody else, someone's life isn't worth my not partying' whether they realize it or not. They're buttholes. Full stop.

The Saudi analogy was to show how people will still break rules no matter the consequence.
Also, this ''you're putting others at risk'' rhetoric is a failing message. It's time to realize, it ain't working.
If people can't see it, they won't sympathize for very long. A young student who moved here and doesn't know anybody outside his friends...you need a better way to get to him than by saying he might kill the vulnerable.
The first time around it had more weight because we didn't know the virus and it decimated elderly residences. If you don't see your parents, if you don't visit residences, if you're working/studying at home, you ain't gonna kill anybody. It's very sensationalist and probably doesn't resonate as much anymore.

I'm not justifying having parties. Doing a house party with 20 people is crazy. Is it selfish? I guess that depends. Kids are by nature rebellious. Are they being selfish? Or they're just young, rebellious and don't quite grasp the situation?
A grown man going to an anti-mask rally, you can say he's an idiot and I'd agree. But then he looks at us and think we're idiots. Name calling gets you nowhere.
Focus on putting measures that are simply going to better protect the population. If parties are really the biggest cause for concern, well then put harsher measures and make sure they're reinforced.

I just think people screaming ''OMG you're stupid and selfish'' to people breaking measures are just as disconnected from reality as anti maskers are.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We would need only one measure if we would be smart, only one:
Limiting our social contact/interaction to the bare minimum.
Not matter what is open or not...no matter what are the measures in place.
It's not about being smart it's about being realistic, and knowing your demographic.
You also need to factor in the economy. The longer this goes on the less businesses can sustain closures.

Limiting social contact to a bare minimum, ie, just groceries, drug store, doctor appointments, and the likes, is not realistic. Even less so if everything is open and a bunch of your friends/families are gathering for dinners once in a while, never getting sick, and you're all alone at home boring yourself to death.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
We're pretty screwed until people start at least trying to accept the rules put in place.
It is absurd how many people are complaining the measures do not work but still do not respect any of the regulations in place.

The amount of people that I know that are breaking protocol is quite sad. It is more sad considering most are breaking protocol for entertainment purposes, where there are others not seeing there families.

Maybe the measures work, maybe they do not but they have to first be respected before we can see.

Stay safe everyone

Reactions: covfefe

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
We're pretty screwed until people start at least trying to accept the rules put in place.
It is absurd how many people are complaining the measures do not work but still do not respect any of the regulations in place.

The amount of people that I know that are breaking protocol is quite sad. It is more sad considering most are breaking protocol for entertainment purposes, where there are others not seeing there families.

Maybe the measures work, maybe they do not but they have to first be respected before we can see.

Stay safe everyone

True.

Look at what 2 cases from the UK made these guys do. Here comes the Commodore. Note that she says "eliminate". :)

Then you have the hard way i.e. welding buildings shut to force quarantine, case in point China.

We just don't care to try enough. We have to live with that, whatever it has for us in store over the next months/years.

Stay safe indeed.
:popcorn:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
True.

Look at what 2 cases from the UK made these guys do. Here comes the Commodore. Note that she says "eliminate". :)

Then you have the hard way i.e. welding buildings shut to force quarantine, case in point China.

We just don't care to try enough. We have to live with that, whatever it has for us in store over the next months/years.

Stay safe indeed.
:popcorn:

Yes well we are different than New Zealand, who's a little Island, and pointing to what they did is a bit pointless right now.
It was never going to happen here with our direct access to USA and vice versa.
But I do agree our response wasn't really well organized. Just them calling the masks useless was not surprisingly going to blowback in their faces.

We just wasted 6 weeks on rather pointless measures too now. It's not really about caring to try, there just needs to be a logic behind the decision and a way to communicate them.
The government here just repeats the same things over and over again, they point the finger at the population throwing them a little thumbs up from time to time, and they're not being transparent, it's not surprising a lot have tuned them out.
You can't go see your family but the kids can be surrounded by 30 other children in a classroom for hours on end. Can't go for a glass of wine in the backyard of my friends but we can hold hands at the shopping mall for hours. Don't see anybody, but go work in a packed factory.
It's not really surprising people aren't listening to everything.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Yes well we are different than New Zealand, who's a little Island, and pointing to what they did is a bit pointless right now.
It was never going to happen here with our direct access to USA and vice versa.
But I do agree our response wasn't really well organized. Just them calling the masks useless was not surprisingly going to blowback in their faces.

We just wasted 6 weeks on rather pointless measures too now. It's not really about caring to try, there just needs to be a logic behind the decision and a way to communicate them.
The government here just repeats the same things over and over again, they point the finger at the population throwing them a little thumbs up from time to time, and they're not being transparent, it's not surprising a lot have tuned them out.
You can't go see your family but the kids can be surrounded by 30 other children in a classroom for hours on end. Can't go for a glass of wine in the backyard of my friends but we can hold hands at the shopping mall for hours. Don't see anybody, but go work in a packed factory.
It's not really surprising people aren't listening to everything.

I'm not disputing what kind of continent we live on, simply saying that NZ (Aussies too) deployed the military to enforce lockdowns. No in betweens. No half measures. And they are as modern a country as almost anybody out there. We OTOH clearly need a vaccine to get back to "normal". China is not some tiny island either. Different way of life and tolerance from citizens, I know.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's not about being smart it's about being realistic, and knowing your demographic.
You also need to factor in the economy. The longer this goes on the less businesses can sustain closures.

Limiting social contact to a bare minimum, ie, just groceries, drug store, doctor appointments, and the likes, is not realistic. Even less so if everything is open and a bunch of your friends/families are gathering for dinners once in a while, never getting sick, and you're all alone at home boring yourself to death.

It's the sum of it all.....if you do it, probably nothing wrong will happen and everything will be fine.....If 4.2 millions people does it, you will have a problem.

The idea should always be there in the end. Always at every level. If you can't stand it and have to go out, then by all means do it....but if you do it every week, you're part of the problem. And we both know, that for some they will do it 2-3 times a week and that's why I'm saying, we're not smart enough to do that.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P

Stay safe everyone

It's very sad, and obviously -lol- it pisses me off.
People like me are refraining from hugging their parents(or even getting within 10 feet of them) on their 67th birthday, but others are bent out of shape because they're bored, or because their friends aren't getting sick, or they can't get laid. Gtfo with that.
Suck it up kiddos.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not disputing what kind of continent we live on, simply saying that NZ (Aussies too) deployed the military to enforce lockdowns. No in betweens. No half measures. And they are as modern a country as almost anybody out there. We OTOH clearly need a vaccine to get back to "normal". China is not some tiny island either. Different way of life and tolerance from citizens, I know.

Sure, but the NZ did it the first time around, people were a lot more scared of this virus in March than now.
In Oz they went full on because they didn't want to go through the same crap again but did it early in the 2nd wave. We have tiptoed our asses around for 6 weeks on pretty pointless measures. Closing down cinemas where no cases came from or gyms where little spread happened...

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
@LyricalLyricist what symptoms did you have?

When I got tested or after?

When I got tested it was precautionary. I was in contact with someone who tested positive and I was feeling great. Now? Not so much.

Sore throat, Fever, Muscle Pain, dry cough, headaches, extreme fatigue, extreme chest pain/pressure, loss of appetite, nausea.

It really fluctuates. I have had a fever on and off for 7 days. Today I couldn't move. I've lost about 8-9 lbs in 7 days from inability to eat.

I feel horrible. It's 11 PM and this is the first time I got out of my bed for more than 5 minutes.

Reactions: Le CH and PhysicX

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

When I got tested it was precautionary. I was in contact with someone who tested positive and I was feeling great. Now? Not so much.

Sore throat, Fever, Muscle Pain, dry cough, headaches, extreme fatigue, extreme chest pain/pressure, loss of appetite, nausea.

It really fluctuates. I have had a fever on and off for 7 days. Today I couldn't move. I've lost about 8-9 lbs in 7 days from inability to eat.

I feel horrible. It's 11 PM and this is the first time I got out of my bed for more than 5 minutes.
Geez... really sorry you're going through this. As long as your breathing isn't laboured you'll probably be fine, but don't wait around if symptoms get worse.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm wondering if the smartest measure to reduce cases could be to open restaurants. It's probably a safer environment than the physically closer, poorly ventilated homes where people are currently socializing. People refuse to stop gathering and the government won't invade their homes, so why not give them the option of a better-ventilated, distance-controlled restaurant instead of their living room? Maximum tables of four, plus the same limits as before -- masks worn except at your table, space between tables, no mingling between parties.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'm wondering if the smartest measure to reduce cases could be to open restaurants. It's probably a safer environment than the physically closer, poorly ventilated homes where people are currently socializing. People refuse to stop gathering and the government won't invade their homes, so why not give them the option of a better-ventilated, distance-controlled restaurant instead of their living room? Maximum tables of four, plus the same limits as before -- masks worn except at your table, space between tables, no mingling between parties.

That is indeed compelling for people whose budget lets them afford it in these tricky times. I think a lot of people have reverted to home made solutions to save money - and may be turned off by COVID surcharges at the restaurant or things along these lines. A large portion is also happy to plan take-out nights as well... I'm afraid it'll take time for dining-in to get a LOT of love back from the old days. Wow, the 'old days'... I mean last year.

Reactions: Lshap

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I legit kinda forgot we were waiting on a vaccine for a moment there

like my brain just accepted that this is life now :laugh:

I feel like it's one or two weeks before NHL Christmas... developments on the vaccine, NBA agreeing to a 72-game season that starts on the 22nd of DECEMBER, election in the US is over (sort of). All those things make me think Bettman is 1-2 weeks away from unpacking the plan, and we get a Habs schedule.

:hyper:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That is indeed compelling for people whose budget lets them afford it in these tricky times. I think a lot of people have reverted to home made solutions to save money - and may be turned off by COVID surcharges at the restaurant or things along these lines. A large portion is also happy to plan take-out nights as well... I'm afraid it'll take time for dining-in to get a LOT of love back from the old days. Wow, the 'old days'... I mean last year.
That's true, dining out is more expensive than DIY and fewer people are comfortable going. But then... if there are fewer people, isn't that an even better reason to open restaurants? Volume of business will probably be low -- which, ironically, makes it a safer environment -- but at least allow owners to operate and try to make a living, which they're currently barred from doing.

And it allows those who CAN afford it and are comfortable dining out to have a more sterile alternative where they can socially gather.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhouse

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

Oh wow, that's terrible . I hope you will get better soon :(

Last edited:
Reactions: LyricalLyricist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->