OT: Covid-19 (Part 32) Numbers Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The idea is meeting a stranger on premises that are safe. Both parties are being filmed so you have some kind of protection in the event one party acts fraudulently (example if it turns out that the goods being transacted are stolen).

Better to have that stranger there than at your house.

That’s the general idea. Not sure people would actually avail themselves of this.

Ya..I mean, if I have stuff that I can move myself and fit in a car, I can just bring it out to anyone who wants to come get it instead of putting it in car, driving there, removing it and carrying to that zone.
I had a dresser I was going to giveaway for free, it's big, I wouldn't disassemble it, rent a truck and go deliver to a zone. So much hassle.
Anyways, guess it's okay if people use it, personally don't see the point but maybe there was a legit demand for it.

Reactions: Runner77

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
That’s really concerning as people playing golf thought it was safe on account its open air aspect. Regardless of the lower risk to get Covid in open air, you still have to take basic precautions (social distance, etc).

There are also areas of the golf course where you can congregate or be swapping air in enclosed spaces (boutique, clubhouse, sharing a ride to and fro).

You just can’t let your guard down.

like some other things, it’s the before and after, I suppose. Even schools - in my health unit where masks are mandatory at all times - transmission is happening before and after.
unfortunate.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There is an ongoing debate about when a vaccine rollout will begin in Canada.

One major obstacle is that the producing companies will first and foremost favor the countries they’re making it in. Canada apparently does not have the manufacturing ability to produce its own.

So while several other countries are slated to begin rollouts next month, it’s not exactly clear when Canada might begin theirs.

It’s looking like Canada’s rollout will lag but that may not be a totally bad thing:

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
If you can read french I posted the whole thing just above you post, if you can't well... That's a lot of stuff to write, so I will just give you an example of how it work.

Let's say I get a covid test every 12th of each month for the past 5 months, that's how my tests would affect the data from graph 4.1:

July 12
result: negative
Personnes Infirmées +1
Cas confirmés +0

August 12
Personnes Infirmées +0
Cas confirmés +0

Sep 12
result: positive
Personnes Infirmées -1
Cas confirmés +1

Oct 12
result: positive
Personnes Infirmées +0
Cas confirmés +0

Nov 12
Personnes Infirmées +0
Cas confirmés +0

So after 5 tests I only had an effect on the data 3 times, once to get included in the "Personnes infirmées", then one time to get kicked out of that same group and another time to be added as a "cas confirmé". And since I got ONE positive test I can never go back in the "Personnes Infirmées" group, ever again.

If you had a positive, you shouldn't be considered a negative. The amount of tests done do not represent the correct number of % infected given that if you tested positive and are re-testing, your test shouldn't count. We need to take into account that if you test positive, after a number of days, you should finally test negative again. Once that happens, your body is supposed to have anti-bodies that repel being re-infected.

Anyways, when I have a bit more time, I will think of a way that I feel would be more representative of what should be represented as a % positive.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

One major obstacle is that the producing companies will first and foremost favor the countries they’re making it in. Canada apparently does not have the manufacturing ability to produce its own.

So while several other countries are slated to begin rollouts next month, it’s not exactly clear when Canada might begin theirs.

It’s looking like Canada’s rollout will lag but that may not be a totally bad thing:

That's maybe true but if we don't get the vaccine until fall 2021 nobody is going to be very happy with that kind of delay.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
If you had a positive, you shouldn't be considered a negative. The amount of tests done do not represent the correct number of % infected given that if you tested positive and are re-testing, your test shouldn't count. We need to take into account that if you test positive, after a number of days, you should finally test negative again. Once that happens, your body is supposed to have anti-bodies that repel being re-infected.

Anyways, when I have a bit more time, I will think of a way that I feel would be more representative of what should be represented as a % positive.

It's already covered by Graph 4.2

If you test positive every re-test you take in the 90 days following a positive result won't be counted in the positivity rate.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's maybe true but if we don't get the vaccine until fall 2021 nobody is going to be very happy with that kind of delay.

The projections are very variable right now, could also only be a month or two behind according to who one listens to. No one knows for certain.

Government is apparently investing in propping up our manufacturing capacity but it won’t make it in time for current pandemic.

This is a huge lesson on how PPE, critical emergency equipment and the ability to mass produce vaccines cannot be farmed out to companies operating in other countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
cogO3b2.png

RIP, US of A...

Reactions: llamateizer

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
This is a huge lesson on how PPE, critical emergency equipment and the ability to mass produce and distribute vaccines cannot be farmed out to companies operating in other countries.

Or privatized, only to be sold off for pennies on the dollar.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Canada had its own ability to massively manufacture vaccines, they wouldn't have needed to buy so many vaccines.

Canada is said to have ordered the highest number of vaccines per capita.

There is an upside for poorer countries at least.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
cogO3b2.png

RIP, US of A...
I’ll go out on a limb here and say the number of people who could of/should of been treated promptly for diseases like cancer will result in more deaths then covid deaths.

About 1.2 million people get diagnosed with cancer every year in the US, as an example. We’ll see how many get diagnosed in 2020 and how many who should of been treated and weren’t. Plus, things like suicide. It’s not a zero sum situation.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is also why Canada has agreements with multiple vaccine makers -- some of them will fail or will be less desirable. So having agreements with several ensures you cast a wide enough web that includes the best options:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If Canada had its own ability to massively manufacture vaccines, they wouldn't have needed to buy so many vaccines.

Canada is said to have ordered the highest number of vaccines per capita.

There is an upside for poorer countries at least.

They are working on it.
COVID-19 response: Building the infrastructure

Will most likely be more for next time as construction is still under way.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Wow, isn't that grand. No wonder Trudeau loves China.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lay of the land in terms of the context of the efficacy rates reported so far:

The average efficacy rate for this vaccine (AstraZeneca) is significantly lower than the roughly 95% efficacy rates reported last week for BioNTech BNTX, +3.03% and Pfizer Inc.’s PFE, -0.19% investigational vaccine, BNT162b2, and Moderna Inc.’s MRNA, +10.77% mRNA-1273 — both of which are messenger ribonucleuc acid, or mRNA, vaccines.

(None of these drug makers have yet published clinical data for the vaccines’ performance in late-stage clinical trials in peer-reviewed medical journals, which is considered the gold standard when it comes to sharing medical research. They so far have only shared interim data points.)

AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine data fails to impress Wall Street analysts with its effectiveness in clinical trials

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They are working on it.
COVID-19 response: Building the infrastructure

Will most likely be more for next time as construction is still under way.

There is also a facility in Saskatoon that they're investing in, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know how much headway they'll make but from what I've been reading, whatever the govt is investing in, is for years down the line. It won't be a difference maker for Covid-19.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Wow, isn't that grand. No wonder Trudeau loves China.

Well there's a nuance here, we can manufacture vaccine that use the traditional method (Chicken egg, like most flu vaccine) we cannot manufacture RNA vaccine, which are a new thing and that's mostly because we let the Canadian pharma industry fall behind in the last ~2 decades.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Well there's a nuance here, we can manufacture vaccine that use the traditional method (Chicken egg, like most flu vaccine) we cannot manufacture RNA vaccine, which are a new thing and that's mostly because we let the Canadian pharma industry fall behind in the last ~2 decades.
Well there you go, not exactly the greatest position to be in at a time like this.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I’ll go out on a limb here and say the number of people who could of/should of been treated promptly for diseases like cancer will result in more deaths then covid deaths.

About 1.2 million people get diagnosed with cancer every year in the US, as an example. We’ll see how many get diagnosed in 2020 and how many who should of been treated and weren’t. Plus, things like suicide. It’s not a zero sum situation.

Excess death figures should give us an easy approximation of these effects, and so far they are a good bit higher than reported COVID deaths in the US - about 300,000 overall as of October 2020.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

That's what you get for privatizing medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad