OT: Covid-19 (Part 32) Numbers Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
We are wary about those US citizens who chose to name themselves after a whole continent for some unknown reason. :)

I have never used the "us Americans". The reason I became a citizen was basically practical. I used to have a green card first and you have to renew them every 10th year and it is quite expensive so after I renewed it once I thought maybe I should become a citizen. My 2 children are born here.That and I want to be able to vote like the famous: "No taxation without representation" cry from the tax revolters in the 18th century when US came into being (I refrain from calling them revolutionaries) :). I mean I like it here, in general people in the US are quite nice although the last 4 years has made me rethink some of that, there are more racists than I thought it was. The people I have met as friends are generous and open and in general I get along pretty well with most people. US has changed me as well, mostly to the better but I am also a bit more aggressive. I am much more frank than I was in Sweden, for instance I was doing laundry and a woman came in without a mask, I told her "I see that you forgot your mask, please go and put it on". "I will not let you ne in here without it", Back in Sweden I might just have avoided her and and keep grumbling in my mind. I remember reading a Swedish journalist that was working for Swedish TV in France and he wrote that in Sweden, we clench our fists in our pockets, in France people have old furniture in the attic that can be used for roadblocks when fighting the police. :)

Reactions: the and Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I rather we shoot higher than that. If we settle on being a country with lots of land and 35M of population, yeah, we fall into that trading trap of imports and exports where we rely on other countries. Like the old saying goes... if you build it, they will come. Got to spend money to make money or create a stronger independent country over the long run.

Ya sure but it ain't that easy mate.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
There is an ongoing debate about when a vaccine rollout will begin in Canada.

One major obstacle is that the producing companies will first and foremost favor the countries they’re making it in. Canada apparently does not have the manufacturing ability to produce its own.

So while several other countries are slated to begin rollouts next month, it’s not exactly clear when Canada might begin theirs.

It’s looking like Canada’s rollout will lag but that may not be a totally bad thing:

I haven't looked at all replies but.. I thought I heard we had a local company who did good in phase 1 (at the same time Pfizer and others were doing good in phase 3)

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I haven't looked at all replies but.. I thought I heard we had a local company who did good in phase 1 (at the same time Pfizer and others were doing good in phase 3)

Medicago was doing good but even if they achieved a great vaccine, Canada would still face the same manufacturing hurdle — they’d have to get a manufacturer in another country to do it for them. The advantage would be that they could get easier and more extended access to it.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Medicago was doing good but even if they achieved a great vaccine, Canada would still face the same manufacturing hurdle — they’d have to get a manufacturer in another country to do it for them. The advantage would be that they could get easier and more extended access to it.

Ah I see. I thought they would still be able to manufacture here

Reactions: Runner77

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I have never used the "us Americans". The reason I became a citizen was basically practical. I used to have a green card first and you have to renew them every 10th year and it is quite expensive so after I renewed it once I thought maybe I should become a citizen. My 2 children are born here.That and I want to be able to vote like the famous: "No taxation without representation" cry from the tax revolters in the 18th century when US came into being (I refrain from calling them revolutionaries) :). I mean I like it here, in general people in the US are quite nice although the last 4 years has made me rethink some of that, there are more racists than I thought it was. The people I have met as friends are generous and open and in general I get along pretty well with most people. US has changed me as well, mostly to the better but I am also a bit more aggressive. I am much more frank than I was in Sweden, for instance I was doing laundry and a woman came in without a mask, I told her "I see that you forgot your mask, please go and put it on". "I will not let you ne in here without it", Back in Sweden I might just have avoided her and and keep grumbling in my mind. I remember reading a Swedish journalist that was working for Swedish TV in France and he wrote that in Sweden, we clench our fists in our pockets, in France people have old furniture in the attic that can be used for roadblocks when fighting the police. :)

Come up a few hours north and join us in Vancouver. We are basically the same but without guns, and (I hope) less racists :) And our french fries are better!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone know if the Pfizer plant in VSL can handle the vaccine?

According to multiple reports, there are no facilities in Canada that are able to manufacture mass vaccines.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Ah I see. I thought they would still be able to manufacture here

They could/will manufacture some here, but it's not at a country scale.

For example, the NRC would have been able to pump out 100k doses a month of the Cansino vaccine. Obviously that fell apart because of politics.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They could/will manufacture some here, but it's not at a country scale.

For example, the NRC would have been able to pump out 100k doses a month of the Cansino vaccine. Obviously that fell apart because of politics.

The production numbers could vary according to which type of vaccine proves to be most effective but still not in enough capacity to fulfill a countrywide output.

Also:

It (Fed. Govt) has also announced $44 million to expand a National Research Council Facility in Montreal, so it can also manufacture vaccines. The government said that facility will allow the lab to produce 70,000 to 100,000 doses per month by summer with more expansion after that.

COVID-19 crisis prompts federal government to look at boosting vaccine production capacity | National Post

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Early in the pandemic, the government pledged $44 million for an expansion of the NRC’s Royalmount Avenue facility in Montreal. That work was supposed to be completed this month and would have allowed the facility to produce up to 250,000 doses a month.

In late August, the government pledged an additional $126 million for a larger manufacturing centre at the NRC’s Montreal facility. That would be a full-sized plant, capable of making millions of doses a month, but it is not set to be finished until July 2021. A major investment also went to the University of Saskatchewan’s VIDO-InterVac facility, but that is also more than a year away.

On Tuesday, Trudeau cautioned Canadians that while some countries may receive their vaccines beginning in December, Canada would have to wait because there was no manufacturing capacity here.

There are three leading COVID-19 vaccine candidates that have shown strong results in clinical trials and are currently working through the Health Canada approval process.

Pfizer and Moderna both make vaccines using a new type of mRNA technology and there are no facilities to produce their vaccine in Canada.

Made-in-Canada solution to COVID-19 vaccine availability delayed due to unfinished construction | Ottawa Citizen

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I called a few dealers to see about the 2021 Rav4 Prime (plug in hybrid) and they told me the waiting list is over 2 years long. It is the best bang for your buck from a hybrid/ev perspective. Kind of bummed, I was hoping to change my car this year.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Early in the pandemic, the government pledged $44 million for an expansion of the NRC’s Royalmount Avenue facility in Montreal. That work was supposed to be completed this month and would have allowed the facility to produce up to 250,000 doses a month.

In late August, the government pledged an additional $126 million for a larger manufacturing centre at the NRC’s Montreal facility. That would be a full-sized plant, capable of making millions of doses a month, but it is not set to be finished until July 2021. A major investment also went to the University of Saskatchewan’s VIDO-InterVac facility, but that is also more than a year away.

On Tuesday, Trudeau cautioned Canadians that while some countries may receive their vaccines beginning in December, Canada would have to wait because there was no manufacturing capacity here.

There are three leading COVID-19 vaccine candidates that have shown strong results in clinical trials and are currently working through the Health Canada approval process.

Pfizer and Moderna both make vaccines using a new type of mRNA technology and there are no facilities to produce their vaccine in Canada.

Made-in-Canada solution to COVID-19 vaccine availability delayed due to unfinished construction | Ottawa Citizen

I know all that, which is why I specifically said the Cansino vaccine. One reason of the delay was a change of plans due to the whole situation with Cansino.

I also know there are some companies in Montreal that have some limited production capacities for vaccines. Not the Pfizer or Moderna one though which I never mentioned.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I called a few dealers to see about the 2021 Rav4 Prime (plug in hybrid) and they told me the waiting list is over 2 years long. It is the best bang for your buck from a hybrid/ev perspective. Kind of bummed, I was hoping to change my car this year.
Dude, what are you doing. Come see me and get yourself an Audi. Stop f***ing around now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know all that, ...

Show me where that post was replying to you. It was posted at large for a reason. Not everyone knows what you know unless you want to make this thread about what you know and don’t know. We’re all learning from each other, which I thought was the idea of the the thread. If not, then I’m just going to read stuff and keep it to myself.

Reactions: kgboomer

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Show me where that post was replying to you. It was posted at large for a reason. Not everyone knows what you know unless you want to make this thread about what you know and don’t know. We’re all learning from each other, which I thought was the idea of the the thread. If not, then I’m just going to read stuff and keep it to myself.

I'm sorry, I thought this was part 2 of the post quoting me.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
You can get a Q3 in same range as Rav. Can even get you something cheaper with an A3, or the badass supped up one. It's really nice.

I am only interested in a plug-in hybrid or a full electric car. And I prefer AWD. So the etron is the only Audi for me and that would mean we don't redo the kitchen... Let's just say after 8 months of being home, we need to change things up around the house lol

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I am only interested in a plug-in hybrid or a full electric car. And I prefer AWD. So the etron is the only Audi for me and that would mean we don't redo the kitchen... Let's just say after 8 months of being home, we need to change things up around the house lol
Any reason for that? I will say, Audis are equipped with a start/stop system which automatically shuts off engine when car isn't moving, like at a red light, to reduce CO2 emissions. They're doing their part. Pretty much all models are Quattro so, no need to worry about the AWD either!
I believe the Q4 Etron is coming out next summer, which should range in Rav4 Prime..if ever you wanna wait.
We have some beauties in store mate.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Any reason for that? I will say, Audis are equipped with a start/stop system which automatically shuts off engine when car isn't moving, like at a red light, to reduce CO2 emissions. They're doing their part. Pretty much all models are Quattro so, no need to worry about the AWD either!
I believe the Q4 Etron is coming out next summer, which should range in Rav4 Prime..if ever you wanna wait.
We have some beauties in store mate.

Thanks for this info, would be very interested in another EV option from Audi. I am really just trying to move away as much as possible from gas-powered vehicles. I would prefer ideally a full EV but the options are limited, especially in AWD, so a plug-in hybrid is interesting, especially if it can run on only electricity for like 40-80km, more than enough for getting around the city.

Right now the market for EVs is improving, but there aren't many options yet, especially in AWD. At least, not really anything interesting below 60k. I said before, not really a car guy, and neither is my wife, so I don't see a reason to spend more. The etron is amazing, well priced compared to Tesla's crossovers and good performance. But at the end of the day I have other use for that money at the moment.

Looks like the next year will have a lot of new EV offerings coming out. Nissan has an SUV coming, Tesla has that ugly ass truck, Ford has a bunch of shit coming out too, and now potentially Audi, that's pretty interesting for me. So I'll wait! The 2021 Rav4 prime isn't going to be available again for 2-3 years, which seems nuts to me. But it is about as good as it gets bang for your buck for a plug-in hybrid. Under 50k, 80km electric range, AWD, and it's the strongest/fastest Rav4 to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad