OT: Covid-19 (Part 28) Stop Making Sense (Mod warning on first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
my biggest concern is Trump. Yes Canada has made deals with many US co. for the vaccine if and when. Don't you remember how Trump ordered the masks stopped at the border and returned to the US use leaving Canada OUT of masks. WHat do you thing Trump will do to STOP Canadians getting millions of vaccines en-route to the border with his USA FIRST and to HELL for the people of Canada.

If all goes well your biggest concern won't be there anymore when the vaccine is ready to be shipped.

Reactions: Milhouse40

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
my biggest concern is Trump. Yes Canada has made deals with many US co. for the vaccine if and when. Don't you remember how Trump ordered the masks stopped at the border and returned to the US use leaving Canada OUT of masks. WHat do you thing Trump will do to STOP Canadians getting millions of vaccines en-route to the border with his USA FIRST and to HELL for the people of Canada.

I don't think the vaccine will be shipped from the USA.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
2020 can't stop being a shitty year.....
Let's hope those fires doesn't do more damage than they already done.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I took these pics 60 minutes ago from my car. It's a high pressure currently so this is all smoke.
PXL_20200909_232117253.jpg

Reactions: Runner77

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Be prepared to see a lot more of this shit. Extreme fires, flooding, crazy heat and cold, cat 4/5 hurricanes one after the other... This is the reality of climate change. We had a chance years ago to stop it. We didn't. Now, we pay the consequences.

Methane pockets in permafrost are being released due to melting ice. This is pretty much a sign of the end. The released methane will greatly speed things up. By 2100 many parts of the world will not be habitable.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

There is always a risk when your neighbor is a sociopath. What did Robin Williams say again?

“Canada is the kindest country in the world.” You are like a really nice apartment over a meth lab."

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Be prepared to see a lot more of this shit. Extreme fires, flooding, crazy heat and cold, cat 4/5 hurricanes one after the other... This is the reality of climate change. We had a chance years ago to stop it. We didn't. Now, we pay the consequences.

Methane pockets in permafrost are being released due to melting ice. This is pretty much a sign of the end. The released methane will greatly speed things up. By 2100 many parts of the world will not be habitable.

'Doomsday Glacier' vulnerability seen in new maps

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Methane however, dissipates rapidly compared to Co2. Small consolation, in this case.

Well, I don't know shit but I remember from school that methane breaks down into CO2 and water. So in the end it still absorbs heat and degrades into CO2. The impacts of this level of methane release are not really being talked about enough.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It's smell like if I was camping in a state park right now and I am inside. It's like that moment when people startup fires, when evening comes, some are better than others doing it but in general it is a bit smokey. I guess I won't sleep with an open window tonight after seeing Perry save an innocent life and get the bad guys behind bars. :)

Reactions: Runner77

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It's smell like if I was camping in a state park right now and I am inside. It's like that moment when people startup fires, when evening comes, some are better than others doing it but in general it is a bit smokey. I guess I won't sleep with an open window tonight after seeing Perry save an innocent life and get the bad guys behind bars. :)

Careful not to be outside too much, that much smoke is not good for you. Stay safe!

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

We've been hearing the warning bells for decades. Its getting to the point where a couple planning to start a family need to consider the health of the earth, and whether it's going to be a good place to bring additional lives into.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
We've been hearing the warning bells for decades. Its getting to the point where a couple planning to start a family need to consider the health of the earth, and whether it's going to be a good place to bring additional lives into.
There needs to be population control/reduction. The more people are on earth the more climate and nature are affected. But taxes will fix it all, I hear.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
One of the main reason I'm thinking of getting snipped. I have a hard time with the idea of bringing a child into the world when everything is going to shit. I told myself that if in 3 years things don't get better. I'd do it. That was 2 years ago...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
There needs to be population control/reduction. The more people are on earth the more climate and nature are affected. But taxes will fix it all, I hear.

Ultimately the biggest impacts to climate are corporate activities. While fewer people may mean fewer incentives for corporations to increase their activities I think deep down we know that corporate greed will lead to continued expansion no matter what. We don't need fewer people, we need less corporate greed and more regulations that prevent these corporations from destroying our planet.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ultimately the biggest impacts to climate are corporate activities. While fewer people may mean fewer incentives for corporations to increase their activities I think deep down we know that corporate greed will lead to continued expansion no matter what. We don't need fewer people, we need less corporate greed and more regulations that prevent these corporations from destroying our planet.
Not that I disagree with you, but corporations are merely suppliers responding to an unquenchable demand. We -- all of us -- are the demand. This is the part where I say "Until we change our habits and stop demanding products that...", but, realistically, that's not going to happen. It's not in our nature to give up conveniences.

We're not going to change because humanity has never (voluntarily) gone backwards. However, what can change is the technology that powers our conveniences. Sustainable power through alternate energy sources can mitigate the damage and allow us to continue our way of life without killing ourselves. I don't really see a point in judging corporations or consumers because nothing we say will change human nature. We have a better chance of building cleaner toys to play with.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Not that I disagree with you, but corporations are merely suppliers responding to an unquenchable demand. We -- all of us -- are the demand. This is the part where I say "Until we change our habits and stop demanding products that...", but, realistically, that's not going to happen. It's not in our nature to give up conveniences.

We're not going to change because humanity has never (voluntarily) gone backwards. However, what can change is the technology that powers our conveniences. Sustainable power through alternate energy sources can mitigate the damage and allow us to continue our way of life without killing ourselves. I don't really see a point in judging corporations or consumers because nothing we say will change human nature. We have a better chance of building cleaner toys to play with.

I don't think it's realistic to expect the average person to drive the changes towards sustainability that corporations need to make. Too many people need to work together and that just isn't in our nature. These corporations need to be reigned in by the government, which is elected by the people. That's how we can create change.

We can't even get everyone on the same page with regards to the pandemic and wearing masks. The damage from this pandemic is happening right now, in front of our eyes, in measurable ways. Family members and friends dying. And still the average person can't be counted on to wear a mask in public unless it's mandated by the government.

At the end of the day we need these changes to happen and even if many, or most, people are on board, it won't be enough. It has to be everyone, and corporations that have the most effect on the situation need to be forced to comply. We don't have time to let this happen naturally. It needs to happen yesterday.

Reactions: Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't think it's realistic to expect the average person to drive the changes towards sustainability that corporations need to make. Too many people need to work together and that just isn't in our nature. These corporations need to be reigned in by the government, which is elected by the people. That's how we can create change.

We can't even get everyone on the same page with regards to the pandemic and wearing masks. The damage from this pandemic is happening right now, in front of our eyes, in measurable ways. Family members and friends dying. And still the average person can't be counted on to wear a mask in public unless it's mandated by the government.

At the end of the day we need these changes to happen and even if many, or most, people are on board, it won't be enough. It has to be everyone, and corporations that have the most effect on the situation need to be forced to comply. We don't have time to let this happen naturally. It needs to happen yesterday.
We're on the same page. Change has to come from the top. The good news is that it CAN come from the top and remain profitable and sustainable. The biggest CO2 culprit is power, the basic function of keeping everything "On" (heat, machinery, electricity). As we transition from fossils to solar/wind/geothermal, we can drastically reduce our eco footprint and hopefully slow or stop the damage. It's a long-term gain for corporations and no pain for consumers -- win-win, which is the only way this shift works.

The next biggest eco-culprit is agriculture (livestock, forestry). Many people are terrified of anything grown in a lab, but that's our future. If they get it right, we'll be eating synthesized meat and genetically modified produce, and not noticing much a difference. More important, we'll be eliminating a huge amount of terra-waste and feeding far more people for much less. Another win-win, eventually.

We can't undo the damage we've done and I don't believe we can change our nature, but we can science our way out of the hole we've dug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino