OT: Covid-19 (Part 28) Stop Making Sense (Mod warning on first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
We're on the same page. Change has to come from the top. The good news is that it CAN come from the top and remain profitable and sustainable. The biggest CO2 culprit is power, the basic function of keeping everything "On" (heat, machinery, electricity). As we transition from fossils to solar/wind/geothermal, we can drastically reduce our eco footprint and hopefully slow or stop the damage. It's a long-term gain for corporations and no pain for consumers -- win-win, which is the only way this shift works.

The next biggest eco-culprit is agriculture (livestock, forestry). Many people are terrified of anything grown in a lab, but that's our future. If they get it right, we'll be eating synthesized meat and genetically modified produce, and not noticing much a difference. More important, we'll be eliminating a huge amount of terra-waste and feeding far more people for much less. Another win-win, eventually.

We can't undo the damage we've done and I don't believe we can change our nature, but we can science our way out of the hole we've dug.

I know we can, I just don't believe we will.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 11.24.14 AM.png

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Something's changed on the source website so my crawler is freaking out for new cases/deaths.

Fixed it manually earlier, but might not be able to get the time I need to look into a permanent solution until this weekend. So, there's a chance I won't be able to post updates tomorrow and maybe Saturday.

:(

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
My company has decided to go all remote after the experience in the last 6 months, the only people who need to be at a location are mail people, printing people (checks and 1099) and transport people. The rest including myself will work from home.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
My company has decided to go all remote after the experience in the last 6 months, the only people who need to be at a location are mail people, printing people (checks and 1099) and transport people. The rest including myself will work from home.

I've been working remotely since March. I thought it would be awesome to work from home all the time but it really grinds at me.

I miss the routine, and I miss the social interactions within the workplace.

Our offices opened up in the summer to limited capacity, but with the usage of masks, and the lack of usage allowed for common amenities, it's just not worth it to go back for me just yet.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I've been working remotely since March. I thought it would be awesome to work from home all the time but it really grinds at me.

Our offices opened up in the summer to limited capacity, but with the usage of masks, and the lack of usage allowed for common amenities, it's just not worth it to go back for me just yet.
Same here... been working remote since March. Don't hate it. Especially now that kids are back to school... nice and quiet. And saves a ton because not buying lunch out every day. At this point company said nobody is going back until 2021.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

I am a bit of a loner myself so it would not change much. It is a bit strange but I also believe that due to the Covid restrictions it might be a bit different to work from home with a pandemic and working from home when there is no pandemic. It's perfect if you want to take a nap at lunch. :)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Same here... been working remote since March. Don't hate it. Especially now that kids are back to school... nice and quiet. And saves a ton because not buying lunch out every day. At this point company said nobody is going back until 2021.

And gas, I mean I have filled my car twice since February. I am off a week next week to bond with my dog who will hopefully arrive tomorrow from Texas. I warned them before they started driving with the dogs that they should be aware and listen to traffic radio. Anyway if the meeting with the dog goes well I had planned to drive up to the high desert to look at the Milky Way without light pollution. Somehow I doubt it will be clear skies given the forest fires so I will probably plan something else.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
And gas, I mean I have filled my car twice since February. I am off a week next week to bond with my dog who will hopefully arrive tomorrow from Texas. I warned them before they started driving with the dogs that they should be aware and listen to traffic radio. Anyway if the meeting with the dog goes well I had planned to drive up to the high desert to look at the Milky Way without light pollution. Somehow I doubt it will be clear skies given the forest fires so I will probably plan something else.

I also miss going over the border to get gas! The prices in Washington state are night and day compared to the Vancouver area which is the most costly in the country.

I'm a 10 minute drive to the border, but since the pandemic, it feels like the US is a million miles away.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
How viable are electric vehicles? I am thinking I will need a new car sometime in the next 2 years and I just don't have the stomach to buy another gas car.

Thing is, I do go up to the cottage and on road trips and stuff. I don't know if I could do that with an EV. I am thinking a hybrid might be a good compromise. The new Rav4 prime hybrid can do ~80km on pure electric so that would be perfect for city driving and then it can also do road trips and such with gas+electric.

Reactions: DavePeak

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I am a bit of a loner myself so it would not change much. It is a bit strange but I also believe that due to the Covid restrictions it might be a bit different to work from home with a pandemic and working from home when there is no pandemic. It's perfect if you want to take a nap at lunch. :)

I’ve been working from home since around 2008. In my day to day, actually I don’t see much difference other than my team meetings now have all team members online (rather than most in the office and a few of us remote). I am lucky though and my company has always embraced work@home and already have the infrastructure.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Some people need to get to work. Don't mess with a guy wearing scrubs.

Blocking traffic is the dumbest thing someone can do to enforce a message. There could be an emergency somewhere back there and you are blocking it.

I remember when my second kid was born, my wife and I went casually to the hospital because she was just feeling contractions in a bit under 5 minutes so no rush..... until suddenly it became 1 minute apart and things went pretty crazy when he arrived at the hospital. My son was born 10 minutes later lol. But imagine for a moment that some idiot would have been blocking the streets for some cause or another.... I'm a very peaceful guy but I would have punched him.

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So in Quebec, cases have gone up. But if I'm not mistaken, this time, it's not Montreal as the hotbed, right? Because looking at Montreal's numbers, they're not going up.

Also, over 26,000 tests done on the 9th. I think that is the most tests done in one day, if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The disastrous forest fires off the US west coast is making its mark in British Columbia

Very hazy this morning, and you can smell the smoke in the air. It can't be good for your lungs to go outside today in these parts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad