OT: Covid-19 (Part 27) Be safe out there (Mod warning on first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
... pis lui l'cave avec sa bave ... ben voyon !?! :banghead::banghead:

Then there are apparently bikers who only wear a mask so they don’t end up swallowing flies otherwise they don’t really care.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If that is happening in an open air sport, what awaits NHL players skating into a string of spittle and saliva clouds as they hustle about?

Not sure yet.....NHL is in Canada and are in bubble cities.
MLB didn't go that route with teams moving around a lot more.
Worked so far for the MLS who are also in a bubble.

But I admit that if the virus gets in, it could get out of control pretty fast.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
If that is happening in an open air sport, what awaits NHL players skating into a string of spittle and saliva clouds as they hustle about?
The "open air" aspect isn't really important when teams have to travel. The sports being played in "bubble cities" have a higher chance of succeeding than sports where teams travel as if the pandemic wasn't a thing.

Hence, why I don't see an NHL season happening later this year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was performing a fair amount with my bands before March, but clubs and cafes remain closed, without a word when things may re-open. We had a few scheduled gigs that went down the toilet thanks to Covid. It's some lost cash for me -- music's not my regular job -- but my friends who are full time performers are almost completely out of work. They're on CERB and offering online lessons, but it's tough on them, economically and psychologically.

I'm been having backyard rehearsals with one of my bands. The bass player lives in the 'burbs near me, with a nice terrace that acts as a decent stage. We usually invite a few friends and most seem psyched to hear anything live. Yesterday's rehearsal was rough because of the heat, but we had beer and pizza and everyone had fun. It felt good to connect with an audience, even if it was just 8 or 9 people. I did a few solo recordings in April and May, but connecting on Facebook ain't the same as the real thing.

My comment was about full time musicians who hadn’t broken. For them, online levels the playing field and gives them a better chance to get known.

For already working musicians who had gigs and revenue, I can see how they’re taking a hit. At least they’re getting CERB, but what happens after they’ve drawn their 6 cheque allotment? Does another program become available to them? Or perhaps, CERB sees a further extension?

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The "open air" aspect isn't really important when teams have to travel. The sports being played in "bubble cities" have a higher chance of succeeding than sports where teams travel as if the pandemic wasn't a thing.

Hence, why I don't see an NHL season happening later this year.

Well, open air is generally less likely to facilitate spread where there is also distancing involved. However, you’re saying the source may be the fact of travel being allowed in MLB. We’ll see if not having any travel like the NHL approach, has a different outcome.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-7-27_11-32-27.png

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Well, open air is generally less likely to facilitate spread where there is also distancing involved. However, you’re saying the source may be the fact of travel being allowed in MLB. We’ll see if not having any travel like the NHL approach, has a different outcome.
I mean, as long as the bubble remains intact and leagues keep strict guidelines on testing, etc. What's the risk then?

Reactions: Runner77

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Mask bylaw comes into effect this Friday, about a month too late for my liking. Yesterday a group of 10 individuals walked into our business not wearing any masks. At one point a young guy and his girlfriend decided to leave and kissed and hugged one of the ladies in the group. Maybe it was his mother or aunt? Anyway, before they left this lady then hugged the guy's girlfriend and said " it was nice to meet you". :facepalm:

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Mask bylaw comes into effect this Friday, about a month too late for my liking. Yesterday a group of 10 individuals walked into our business not wearing any masks. At one point a young guy and his girlfriend decided to leave and kissed and hugged one of the ladies in the group. Maybe it was his mother or aunt? Anyway, before they left this lady then hugged the guy's girlfriend and said " it was nice to meet you". :facepalm:
I don't mind some people breaking social distancing a bit. It's going to happen. Let's stop pretending like it isn't already, not gonna lie. Wearing of masks though...ya it should be mandatory. If I had a business and could, I would keep the doors locked at all time and only allow mask wearing people in.

Reactions: MXD and DavePeak

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

MLB players are getting it from traveling, being on planes, back and forth between hotspot cities. They honestly went with the dumbest possible way here. So f***ing stupid. Even the NBA has a better approach and they literally set up shop in COVIDtown, USA.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I mean, as long as the bubble remains intact and leagues keep strict guidelines on testing, etc. What's the risk then?
Risk is it's impossible to have a leash on this many people, and they will be in contact with their spouses/kids, who will themselves go out.
The good thing is, they've chosen two hub cities with lower count of Covid.

My issue with the season isn't so much about the risk of players catching the virus, it's more about the silliness of continuing the season when it's been off for over 4 months now. The 19-20 season is over and done with, moving forward with this little tournament after 4 month hiatus without serious training, delaying the draft and free agency, pushing the next season to 2021, it's all a big joke.

Reactions: PhysicX

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My comment was about full time musicians who hadn’t broken. For them, online levels the playing field and gives them a better chance to get known.

For already working musicians who had gigs and revenue, I can see how they’re taking a hit. At least they’re getting CERB, but what happens after they’ve drawn their 6 cheque allotment? Does another program become available to them? Or perhaps, CERB sees a further extension?

I have a few friends who are active in the Montreal punk scene but thankfully they all have other jobs so music has not been their primary income source for a while now.

I also have a family member who is a full-time touring musician, Polaris prize nominated and this is his legit career. He's had to go back and work another job to pay the bills, thankfully he is a certified tradesman and was able to find something easily.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Not silly at all when lives are at stake.

It's our current situation who is silly and surreal . Turn back the clock about a year , no one would believed that a year later we would be wearing masks. Not only that ,but we would be forced to call the cops on someone who doesnt wear one.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I don't mind some people breaking social distancing a bit. It's going to happen. Let's stop pretending like it isn't already, not gonna lie. Wearing of masks though...ya it should be mandatory. If I had a business and could, I would keep the doors locked at all time and only allow mask wearing people in.

It's incredible how so many people are oblivious to this pandemic. I see it happening all the time, friends and acquaintances greeting each other with handshakes and hugs, complete f***ing morons. In the meantime, we are seeing increases in cases since entering stage 3. I tried mandating masks but was losing too much business to my competitors around me not putting in a mask requirement. I was left with no choice to remove the requirement otherwise I would have had to close up, the lack of mask wearing was that extreme. Now that the bylaw comes into effect this Friday I will be in a better position to make it compulsory.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Yeah I saw it.....
This is another kind of pandemic we are fighting.
The morons united trying to tell us "the sheep" to listen to them instead of listening to science and the best in the world in their fields.....

As for these two morons, as I wrote on twitter:

Silly question , all those morons they dont have jobs ? If i'm an employer i'm watching TV and see those two looney toons , i would think twice about the quality of my Employees. Maybe i would think about a solution to get new people .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad