OT: Covid-19 (Part 24) Reunited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
What i said is not "policemen are sociopaths". That's what you acsribed to me, then have the gull to call me out for "exagerating" yet you're the one who turned what I said into a complete generalization.

Please quote me saying exactly what you ascribed to me:

You said "you declared cops to be sociopaths and narssicists"

I never did that. You removed all nuance and qualifiers to turn it into a generalization. You're bordering on trolling. Shameful for a mod.

Lol "interesting overlap". Dominance is a major determinant in both narcissism (most narcissists being sociopaths, or rather, displaying sociopathic traits) and psychopathy, if you actually knew about it. It's textbook psychology. Only the lower end of the antisocial disorder spectrum does not have dominance as a major determinant.

You don't believe there's a higher incidence of psychopathy and narcissism in law enforcement than in the general population, good for you. Keep that fantasy alive, but don't go turning that into some spin about all cops being psychopaths and narcissists.

Btw, my family has close links with law enforcement. I've known quite a few cops in my life, including an ex-director of SQ, all great and nice people.

If ever you're ready to include the nuances to what I say, I'll gladly answer.
You called the police a "Hotbed for sociopaths". That's your idea of nuance?

So answer that charge directly. You linked cops and sociopaths -- fill in the nuance you claim I missed. You said 'hotbed', so I assume that means you believe a lot of cops are sociopaths, no? How do you determine that they fit the term 'sociopath'. "Sociopath" isn't some random description like "Aggressive", it's a clinical term describing a serious personality disorder. Classic sociopaths have difficulty with laws & rules, which would put them at odds with being police officers, even bad ones. Sure, some could sneak in, but for them to work alongside good cops they'd have to maintain that mask and swallow their antisocial tendencies, no? Bottom line, I'm curious how widespread you believe sociopathy is within the police, and if it's real sociopathy or more of a metaphor for traits that are distasteful, but normal.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
MADD doesn't believe that choosing not to arrest people in that situation is a viable option.

Ok. But the police have leeway in this situation and their procedures are not dictated by MADD.

They had his information, they did not need to arrest him.

Got to wonder if they would have sent him home to sleep it off if he was white.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I clearly remember drinking a 4.1% Helles at some point which wasn't underattenuated (to explain the low alcohol content).

That could probably count as a premium light lager.

If I drink light. I need this added, in a schnapps glass in the beer. Is that the way you guys are doing it as well?

Edit: The commercial was for the soccer Euros in 92.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
If I walk up to someone and beat them up for no reason, and then people say "he deserved it for wearing a bro shirt and showing his arms" that would be a valid comparison.

That's victim blaming.

And saying the cops were justified to use deadly force in a situation where it was not required because he resisted arrest is also victim blaming. He did not deserve to be executed.

I mean for f***'s sake, the cop was fired and he's facing murder 1. The DA is building a case for the death penalty. The cops kicked him and stepped on him as he lay there bleeding with 2 gunshot wounds. They let him bleed out for 2 minutes before giving first aid. And you think these guys are goddamn heroes.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Suspect time will show that indeed.My father had it in late fall in the NL and pretty sure I had it in January.

And then it was spread to France.

aebfe89eb47fa4d0c34a98deace32285.jpg

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You called the police a "Hotbed for sociopaths". That's your idea of nuance?

So answer that charge directly. You linked cops and sociopaths -- fill in the nuance you claim I missed. You said 'hotbed', so I assume that means you believe a lot of cops are sociopaths, no? How do you determine that they fit the term 'sociopath'. "Sociopath" isn't some random description like "Aggressive", it's a clinical term describing a serious personality disorder. Classic sociopaths have difficulty with laws & rules, which would put them at odds with being police officers, even bad ones. Sure, some could sneak in, but for them to work alongside good cops they'd have to maintain that mask and swallow their antisocial tendencies, no? Bottom line, I'm curious how widespread you believe sociopathy is within the police, and if it's real sociopathy or more of a metaphor for traits that are distasteful, but normal.

No, it simply means that sociopaths are attracted by this line of work, like sny other line of work that is recognized to have power snd dominance. This is something entirely recognized by those who create and administer the standardized personality tests. A great deal of the focus of those tests have to do with narcissistic traits, but since they're yes or no type of questions and since polygraph tests are based in nervous response only, it leaves a lot of room for intelligent sociopaths and psychopaths to manoeuvre. How do you suppose there's been such a big ongoing battle to remove these anti-social traits from law enforcement, if there isn't a problem to begin with.

Another dominant trait of psychopathy and narcissism is their ability to cheat compared to most people.

Should I need to start listing all the great scandals of law enforcement corruption that lead to these views, to this ramping up of psych evals on police prospects?

Reactions: Forum93

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I see the good that social media has done, but because it's viral by nature it's an uncontrolled force that often blows up beyond proportion. Right now there are people who don't trust cops, period. Some of them are right, but it doesn't really matter, because even when they're wrong the perception is out there, and the police are going to need a massive PR campaign to de-escalate the tension every time they show up on a call. Even assuming the police eventually weed out the bad cops and go through a reformation, some people will always distrust cops and the rest of us will continue to form our opinions based on what we see on social media. I don't get how anyone could seriously suggest de-funding police, when the best course seems to be re-funding towards more surgical training and creating links with the public that aren't based on interventions. How much can anyone like or trust cops if their only contact with them has been to be ticketed, questioned, or cuffed?
Well I agree, I think they need more funding and have a complete overhaul of their training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad