OT: Covid-19 (Part 24) Reunited

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I’ve done my masters. Some students I met along the way are some of the most emotional people I’ve ever met. I don’t see how education weeds out emotional people.

Also, this is the US. Why would someone do a law degree then become a police offer after all that debt?

I get where you’re coming from but I don’t see it happening. In fact, “defund police” movement would take huge hit as you’d have to pay people more to become police.

The idea with defund police is to defund the militarization of police. Pretty sure they would be fine paying them more if it meant they were more stable and better equipped to handle the pressure.

I am aware there are still emotional people in academia but the bully who barely scraped by in high school who goes on to become a cop in small town USA won't be able to make it past mall security if he has to do 4 years of study first. That's the idea here.

I mean even in Quebec we require a 3 year technical degree before you can apply for police academy. Adding barriers to becoming a cop will weed out a lot of people who shouldn't be in this position to start with. Forcing them to be masters of the law on top of that plus needing a high level of intelligence and critical thinking skills is even better.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
You are asking me what they say about a discharged taser?

They say it is not a threat.

In fact, they charged a police officer with murder 1 for using deadly force on someone who was armed, at that point, with a discharged taser.

Was it a single shot or two shot taser?

Anyways I agree with you, deadly force was not justified. If he (the officer) was worried about getting harmed he could have just stopped running. Tasers only have a range of about 10 feet I believe.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
He wasn't a victim, he instigated the fight during a lawful arrest, then escalated the situation.
You seem to be of the opinion that a cops' job is to kill people who put up a fight. I think it's to protect and serve citizens, all of them, even those that put up a fight. It's part of the job description. But what do I know ...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
White people get DUI’s all the time.

So how does your idea work, does every black person get 3 ‘get out of jail free cards’ to use in their lifetime and white people get none?

Man silly me, all I expect is for the police to use proper judgement when they find a guy asleep in his car so it doesn't end with him being executed as he's running away. So much to ask for!

The cops let guys off like this all the time. They had his information, they could have ticketed/charged him later. There was no need to arrest him immediately, he was not a threat if he was sleeping it off at his sister's house which he offered to do.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don’t disagree. Just if the job you get with the certificate is a certain amount why would you return to school and do more just for a little more cash? They’d have to compensate you a lot more.

Well, the certificate is one year and can be done part-time. The Law Deg is at least three years (four in some universities), + the Bar.

And Cops can make some rather good money, more than many lawyers for what it's worth. Hell, I'm a cop brat who has a Law Deg. and finished the Bar, and I'm earning about what my dad earned (when adjusting for inflation) when he retired!

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
If the cops had rolled up and shot an innocent black man for no reason, and then people said "Dude deserved it, he shouldn't have been born black", that would be victim blaming.

He wasn't a victim, he instigated the fight during a lawful arrest, then escalated the situation.

He did nothing that warranted being shot twice in the back.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
You seem to be of the opinion that a cops' job is to kill people who put up a fight. I think it's to protect and serve citizens, all of them, even those that put up a fight. It's part of the job description. But what do I know ...

Your assumption of my opinion is wrong.

Also, police have no duty to actually protect citizens.

Anyways, to compare a girl being raped while wearing a skirt and then blaming her for wearing said skirt, which is actual victim blaming, to a criminal attacking police while being lawfully arrested is disingenuous. Those are completely different scenarios.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That's not a generality, or else there wouldn't be any of them in the military, whereas there are many in the military. You need to understand the difference between functional and unfunctional sociopaths. The functional ones actually find comfort in hierachies where they've learned to hide away.

I don't know if this answers your question, but fun fact, police are much more likely than the general population to engage in domestic abuse.

Police Have a Much Bigger Domestic-Abuse Problem Than the NFL Does

National Center For Women and Policing

I don't think this argument holds up. It seems to me like the police, protected by their unions, are basically an old boys club where your boss, and your boss's boss, all engage in this kind of toxic behavior together. So it's a perfect fit for that new cadet, if he conforms to patterns of behavior that exist all the way up the chain of command.

Just my 2c, but I think cops are losing more and more benefit of the doubt every day.

Appreciate the info. Interesting info about domestic abuse and police.

More and more, this is looking like a failure from the top, specifically hiring practices and training.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The idea with defund police is to defund the militarization of police. Pretty sure they would be fine paying them more if it meant they were more stable and better equipped to handle the pressure.

I am aware there are still emotional people in academia but the bully who barely scraped by in high school who goes on to become a cop in small town USA won't be able to make it past mall security if he has to do 4 years of study first. That's the idea here.

I mean even in Quebec we require a 3 year technical degree before you can apply for police academy. Adding barriers to becoming a cop will weed out a lot of people who shouldn't be in this position to start with. Forcing them to be masters of the law on top of that plus needing a high level of intelligence and critical thinking skills is even better.

I get it, we don't disagree but you're talking about asking someone to do a 4 year law degree(with US school costs) then police academy.

Let's call it what it is...if someone does a 4 year law degree they can become a lawyer and make significantly more. It doesn't seem viable.

I don't know the current path to becoming a police offer in the states but we have to avoid overkill as well. Lets not turn it into needing a masters in engineering to work at home depot either.

Change or extend the current curriculum. No need to add a whole other degree under US prices.

A lot can improve in the USA in this situation but we have to be realistic as well. Imagine a masters in law for a cop. Seems overkill...I'd argue if thats the case every nurse should have a masters degree too. A politician in the states cannot have a bachelor only. The president should be a PhD. etc... etc...

Of course, upping the standard for everyone isn't a bad thing! Just it seems like a huge step involving a lot more money to dish out.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Appreciate the info. Interesting info about domestic abuse and police.

More and more, this is looking like a failure from the top, specifically hiring practices and training.
I have become convinced in all of this that one of the biggest areas to focus on is police unions. Dismantle police unions, rethink the role of police in our communities, rebuild police departments from the ground up.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Say hello to my little friend.

51kWkQfUsXL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad