OT: Covid-19 (Part 24) Reunited

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
If I drink light. I need this added, in a schnapps glass in the beer. Is that the way you guys are doing it as well?

Edit: The commercial was for the soccer Euros in 92.

Jägermeister? There is only one proper way to consume that...
Jagermeister-Topped-Poutine-with-bacon.jpeg

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
I really, but really hate Jager. Sorry :(

Okay. WHAT. THE. BLEEP. IS. THIS?
The Jägermeister Poutine from Brutus restaurant in Montreal (Rosemont). Sadly, the place closed its doors last year. That was one of my goto places for a while, great vibe, great drinks and a special menu with bacon in everything. Was really popular when bacon was the trend. They even had bacon-flavored vodka.

Edit: They also made a Poutine week version with extra bacon slices on top that had alcohol poured on them and was served lit up.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom and MXD

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The Jägermeister Poutine from Brutus restaurant in Montreal (Rosemont). Sadly, the place closed its doors last year. That was one of my goto places for a while, great vibe, great drinks and a special menu with bacon in everything. Was really popular when bacon was the trend. They even had bacon-flavored vodka.

Like, Jager-based sauce?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That sucks. But I would love to see that person's medical chart before all this.

Too often now "good shape, no conditions" means 30-40 pounds overweight, sedentary, blood pressure 135/90...

As a society we are used a bad metabolic baseline, eating terrible and not moving enough.l All the healthcare workers that I saw on the news that died from COVID were obviously obese.

In any case good luck to that person.
True, most people equate age to health, but it’s not necessarily true.

Last edited:

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Like, Jager-based sauce?
Indeed, so it had a special flavour, but mixed in a poutine, I don’t know if you really taste the Jäger itself since I know you don’t like it. Can’t really tell, never really drinked Jäger.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Indeed, so it had a special flavour, but mixed in a poutine, I don’t know if you really taste the Jäger itself since I know you don’t like it. Can’t really tell, never really drinked Jäger.

Well, I'm often making Rauchbier poutine at home, and the beer can be tased in the sauce. Same thing when I'm going for a Wild Turkey poutine. So you can probably taste the Jager, unless they put something like half a teaspoon in.

Reactions: DavePeak

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Requiring a law degree, or similar level of education that takes time and focus, will weed out many of those who struggle with decision making or are overly emotional. As it stands, it's not very difficult to become a cop in the USA. Especially in smaller towns.

I’ve done my masters. Some students I met along the way are some of the most emotional people I’ve ever met. I don’t see how education weeds out emotional people.

Also, this is the US. Why would someone do a law degree then become a police offer after all that debt?

I get where you’re coming from but I don’t see it happening. In fact, “defund police” movement would take huge hit as you’d have to pay people more to become police.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Often times, cops escalate things themselves. They think they're the law, so if people question them they get annoyed and escalate things as well.

I mean...if anybody did that to your daughter, what would you do?? It's disgusting. All this for a kid's pool party? Why are they lining them up on the ground like they're part of a mexican cartel gang?

What about this f***ing bozo?

Pulling your gun on children...bravo man.

And this woman officer pulling out her gun for no reason at all..

Some people are being idiots, no doubt, but often times too the police doesn't know how to interact with the population. It's like the classic bully in school...he tells you to do something, you say no, he comes back to punch you. Cops are like that except they have weapons.

My post never said cops don’t escalate things and that’s my point. They need to be trained and tested to stay calm and lower tensions. Of course, they have a responsibility to do the same for themselves.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I’ve done my masters. Some students I met along the way are some of the most emotional people I’ve ever met. I don’t see how education weeds out emotional people.

Also, this is the US. Why would someone do a law degree then become a police offer after all that debt?

I get where you’re coming from but I don’t see it happening. In fact, “defund police” movement would take huge hit as you’d have to pay people more to become police.

The equivalent of our certificat en droit "I'm not sure Law Certificate is the right word" should probably be required.

There are clearly upsides in having things like Admin Law, Public Liberties/Const. Law, Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure thought to police officers.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No, it simply means that sociopaths are attracted by this line of work, like sny other line of work that is recognized to have power snd dominance. This is something entirely recognized by those who create and administer the standardized personality tests. A great deal of the focus of those tests have to do with narcissistic traits, but since they're yes or no type of questions and since polygraph tests are based in nervous response only, it leaves a lot of room for intelligent sociopaths and psychopaths to manoeuvre. How do you suppose there's been such a big ongoing battle to remove these anti-social traits from law enforcement, if there isn't a problem to begin with.

Another dominant trait of psychopathy and narcissism is their ability to cheat compared to most people.

Should I need to start listing all the great scandals of law enforcement corruption that lead to these views, to this ramping up of psych evals on police prospects?
Yeah, I can see sociopaths being attracted to the power and dominance part of policing, but sociopaths don't conform to rules and they don't work within a group, so wouldn't that make sociopaths a bad fit in a police department? Before they get to dominate anyone, a cop has to learn the other parts of the job -- respecting the chain of command, following a ton of protocol, and having his fellow officers' back. If they can't do those things successfully, they'll never get past cadet. I'm not sure an extreme personality disorder like sociopathy could work in an environment like that where they're highly regulated & socially accountable.

That doesn't negate the corruption you mention. Nor does it negate other f***ed up personality traits that have obviously infiltrated the police force. I'm just saying that if the cops are a hotbed of negative traits, those traits are probably more socially 'normal' and less extreme, like arrogance, aggression, ego, maybe an overabundance of physical confidence. Kinda like pro athletes. For the record, those are just guesses. Another guess -- I'm wondering how many cops were bullies or were victims of bullying.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yeah, I can see sociopaths being attracted to the power and dominance part of policing, but sociopaths don't conform to rules and they don't work within a group, so wouldn't that make sociopaths a bad fit in a police department? Before they get to dominate anyone, a cop has to learn the other parts of the job -- respecting the chain of command, following a ton of protocol, and having his fellow officers' back. If they can't do those things successfully, they'll never get past cadet. I'm not sure an extreme personality disorder like sociopathy could work in an environment like that where they're highly regulated & socially accountable.

That doesn't negate the corruption you mention. Nor does it negate other f***ed up personality traits that have obviously infiltrated the police force. I'm just saying that if the cops are a hotbed of negative traits, those traits are probably more socially 'normal' and less extreme, like arrogance, aggression, ego, maybe an overabundance of physical confidence. Kinda like pro athletes. For the record, those are just guesses. Another guess -- I'm wondering how many cops were bullies or were victims of bullying.

That's not a generality, or else there wouldn't be any of them in the military, whereas there are many in the military. You need to understand the difference between functional and unfunctional sociopaths. The functional ones actually find comfort in hierachies where they've learned to hide away.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Ok. But the police have leeway in this situation and their procedures are not dictated by MADD.

They had his information, they did not need to arrest him.

Got to wonder if they would have sent him home to sleep it off if he was white.
White people get DUI’s all the time.

So how does your idea work, does every black person get 3 ‘get out of jail free cards’ to use in their lifetime and white people get none?

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
You called the police a "Hotbed for sociopaths". That's your idea of nuance?

So answer that charge directly. You linked cops and sociopaths -- fill in the nuance you claim I missed. You said 'hotbed', so I assume that means you believe a lot of cops are sociopaths, no? How do you determine that they fit the term 'sociopath'.
I don't know if this answers your question, but fun fact, police are much more likely than the general population to engage in domestic abuse.

Police Have a Much Bigger Domestic-Abuse Problem Than the NFL Does

National Center For Women and Policing

I don't think this argument holds up. It seems to me like the police, protected by their unions, are basically an old boys club where your boss, and your boss's boss, all engage in this kind of toxic behavior together. So it's a perfect fit for that new cadet, if he conforms to patterns of behavior that exist all the way up the chain of command.

Just my 2c, but I think cops are losing more and more benefit of the doubt every day.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The equivalent of our certificat en droit "I'm not sure Law Certificate is the right word" should probably be required.

There are clearly upsides in having things like Admin Law, Public Liberties/Const. Law, Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure thought to police officers.

I don’t disagree. Just if the job you get with the certificate is a certain amount why would you return to school and do more just for a little more cash? They’d have to compensate you a lot more.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
And saying the cops were justified to use deadly force in a situation where it was not required because he resisted arrest is also victim blaming.

If the cops had rolled up and shot an innocent black man for no reason, and then people said "Dude deserved it, he shouldn't have been born black", that would be victim blaming.

He wasn't a victim, he instigated the fight during a lawful arrest, then escalated the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad