OT: Covid-19 (Part 24) Reunited

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Fascinating subject. This experiment was done. Take 1000 people both black and white and admittedly non racist. Put them in a large room and within a few hours, you'll have two separate groups. Racist? or just a preference for being with similar people?

Difficult to explain, is it a deep seated mistrust or simply human nature? Might explain things like Chinatown and Little Italy?

It's the fear of stranger
It's more about xenophobia than racism.

I believe it's human nature.

When we had an introduction to kindergarten at school with my daughter. Naturally my daughter spotted her friends that she knew at the Day care center.
The kids left with a teacher to do an activity while parents were getting info.
I saw her hugging(pre-covid) her teacher of the day

You try to join the people who you're the most comfortable

Events with my family and family in law, each family is separate, there is some interactions...but the groups are separate at the end

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
It's the fear of stranger
It's more about xenophobia than racism.

I believe it's human nature.

When we had an introduction to kindergarten at school with my daughter. Naturally my daughter spotted her friends that she knew at the Day care center.
The kids left with a teacher to do an activity while parents were getting info.
I saw her hugging(pre-covid) her teacher of the day

You try to join the people who you're the most comfortable

Events with my family and family in law, each family is separate, there is some interactions...but the groups are separate at the end

My first class at university...,I was 2 week late because of a soccer training camp. Most of my friend were black ...so I sat with one of them in the class.

After 15 min...I realize I was the only white dude (And I had a very pale skin) on my side of the class. We were literally about 15 white on one side...15 black on the other side....with me all alone. It took around 1 month before people got mixed.

Reactions: llamateizer

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
@Forum93 you said "Yea I would say illegally hitchhiking would get the cop's attention no matter what skin color. The fact they pursued these teens for such a trivial matter, I tend to believe the teen's skin color triggered them into action in the first place. It's not a far fetched assertion, targeting due to skin color has happened countless times."

So the kids getting stopped for (illegally) walking down the road is systemic racism, but me (illegally) walking on the side of the road with my thumb out is "well of course, you were illegally hitchhiking".

What the kids were doing, while not bad, was still worse than what I was doing. I wasn't even on the road.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
@THE HOFF "tell me the places you visited. what's your life experience ? your perspective ? background? Are you a real estate mogul, or just upset in your mom's basement ?"

Don't see how this is relevant to me showing the tales of two lying kid killers isn't systemic racism.

Why don't you start? Answer all the questions you asked me first and then we'll compare since you want to.

I'll toss you a bone and say that I've traveled plenty, have done plenty, have had all sorts of different outlooks on life.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
@Forum93 you said "Yea I would say illegally hitchhiking would get the cop's attention no matter what skin color. The fact they pursued these teens for such a trivial matter, I tend to believe the teen's skin color triggered them into action in the first place. It's not a far fetched assertion, targeting due to skin color has happened countless times."

So the kids getting stopped for (illegally) walking down the road is systemic racism, but me (illegally) walking on the side of the road with my thumb out is "well of course, you were illegally hitchhiking".

What the kids were doing, while not bad, was still worse than what I was doing. I wasn't even on the road.

Kids targeted by cops because of their skin color is systemic racism. You could say they weren't targeted, I don't believe it. I also would say your "criminal act" was worse. You did admit you were illegally hitchhiking on a main road, where I assume there was a lot of vehicular traffic, whereas these teens were walking on a nearly deserted road with no sidewalks, I guess they could have walked on the grass instead, but then they'd have to worry about dinodebino. :sarcasm:

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
Kids targeted by cops because of their skin color is systemic racism. You could say they weren't targeted, I don't believe it. I also would say your "criminal act" was worse. You did admit you were illegally hitchhiking on a main road, where I assume there was a lot of vehicular traffic, whereas these teens were walking on a nearly deserted road with no sidewalks, I guess they could have walked on the grass instead, but then they'd have to worry about dinodebino. :sarcasm:

I used the term "illegally" with hitchhiked in order to let you know hitchhiking was illegal in that city. Just like those kids were "illegally" jaywalking. There were very few cars at the time.

You could say the kids were targeted and I wasn't but you have no proof. If the kids hadn't of been walking on the road and were stopped for no reason, I'd say it was racism.

The more troubling aspect of that video was that one kid's response to the cops wanting to talk to them. Had he behaved like his friend, there would be no cuffs, no leaning on him, etc...cops would have told them to stay off the road or something.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I used the term "illegally" with hitchhiked in order to let you know hitchhiking was illegal in that city. Just like those kids were "illegally" jaywalking. There were very few cars at the time.

You could say the kids were targeted and I wasn't but you have no proof. If the kids hadn't of been walking on the road and were stopped for no reason, I'd say it was racism.

The more troubling aspect of that video was that one kid's response to the cops wanting to talk to them. Had he behaved like his friend, there would be no cuffs, no leaning on him, etc...cops would have told them to stay off the road or something.

The kid overreacted for sure, but so did the cops. Of course, I have no proof the kids were targeted, didn't have a chance to interview the cop then take his word for it.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
The kid overreacted for sure, but so did the cops. Of course, I have no proof the kids were targeted, didn't have a chance to interview the cop then take his word for it.

I've seen people of all colour stopped for jaywalking in Montreal. And every time, the cop was right there and people jaywalked right in front of them, thinking it was no big deal, it's only crossing the street and there's no cars coming.

What they don't understand is that choosing to break the law knowing the cops are right there is basically mocking the cops, and forcing them to stop you.

Reactions: scrubadam

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Montreal (13th June)

- Cases -
7th June: 26,205 (+83)
8th June: 26,288 (+83)
9th June: 26,351 (+63)
10th June: 26,412 (+61)
11th June: 26,475 (+63)
12th June: 26,557 (+82)
13th June: 26,613 (+56)

- Deaths -
7th June: 3,067 (+5)
8th June: 3,068 (+1)
9th June: 3,088 (+20)
10th June: 3,117 (+29) *some added retroactively*
11th June: 3,130 (+13) *some added retroactively*
12th June: 3,158 (+28) *some added retroactively*
13th June: 3,189 (+31) *some added retroactively*

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
One of the several reason why I hate Toronto:

upload_2020-6-13_11-35-23.png

Reactions: ArtPeur

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I wonder how things escalated from waking him up and finding out he was intoxicated, to wrestling on the ground with him. Too bad it wasn't in the video. Once you're in a fistfight with the cops, it's only going to go badly. De-escalation needs to occur before it gets to that point.
From everything I have seen and read the US police forces arent taught to de-escalate. Regardless of the previous fight the dude shouldnt have been shot in the back when he is running away. If the guy gets away the DUI is the least of his problems. They have the vehicle he was in. Not hard to figure things out from there.

cajmonkey

Mar 29, 2014
From everything I have seen and read the US police forces arent taught to de-escalate. Regardless of the previous fight the dude shouldnt have been shot in the back when he is running away. If the guy gets away the DUI is the least of his problems. They have the vehicle he was in. Not hard to figure things out from there.

I agree.

I would add that the suspect has a responsibility as a citizen to not escalate the situation as well. We all have to work together to solve this problem.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Anything interesting in Covid world....Arruda being an absolute jokster is getting old....

Ps. Open Gyms
I was thinking about gyms -- they might be the single most contagious setting of all. How are they going to be hygiene-friendly with people gasping and sweating next to each other? Plastic screens between each treadmill, bike, and elliptical? Hand sanitizer stations everywhere? Masks for everyone? They have a lot of work to do before people will feel comfortable returning.

I stopped running at my gym in early March, even before they were locked down, and have been running outdoors since. But once it gets really cold by late-Fall it'll be the gym or nothing for me, and there's no freakin way I'll settle for nothing. I hope they figure it out, because I can't stand running on icy sidewalks and wearing a dozen layers, and I don't feel like buying a high-end treadmill for my home.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I was thinking about gyms -- they might be the single most contagious setting of all. How are they going to be hygiene-friendly with people gasping and sweating next to each other? Plastic screens between each treadmill, bike, and elliptical? Hand sanitizer stations everywhere? Masks for everyone? They have a lot of work to do before people will feel comfortable returning.

I stopped running at my gym in early March, even before they were locked down, and have been running outdoors since. But once it gets really cold by late-Fall it'll be the gym or nothing for me, and there's no freakin way I'll settle for nothing. I hope they figure it out, because I can't stand running on icy sidewalks and wearing a dozen layers, and I don't feel like buying a high-end treadmill for my home.
Restaurants are the most contagious settings. Ever been in a 50 C kitchen with a dozen dummies running around talking smack to each other ? I can't for the life of me understand how theyre open.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad