OT: Covid-19 (Part 23) Takin' it to the street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Exactly what I think it is. He is purposely being defiant. Like a child who does the opposite of what his parents tell him/her simply because they were told not to do it.

I'm wondering if any of these factories he's scheduled to visit could just turn him away if he shows up and doesn't want to wear a mask.

Didn't the Ford factory he visited weeks ago say he was required to wear a mask to visit, and he went in without wearing one? And one of the ministers went off on him after the visit for not wearing a mask. Couldn't Ford just tell him we won't let you in if you don't wear a mask?

I understand he's the president and all of that. But it shouldn't be reason enough to just allow him into your facility as he wants.

He is a weak man.
This is true. He is a fraud as president.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
I missed that title, everyone is promoting his agenda.

Now, how about the quote ?

If this was actually said by someone with any kind of autorithy (I don't really trust FN but its not impossible), this is a pretty dumb to say.

Of course those protests arr bad for Covid. I don't think anyone should try to pretend otherwise.

Now, if people choose to protest despite the risk, it's fine as long as they know the consequences. It's their choice. If they feel that police brutality and racism are big enoug problems (I personnally think they are) that it is worth risking their health for it, they are free to do so. I think this just adds to the seriousness of the protest - its so important that they are willing to risk what they've been protecting for months.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
If this was actually said by someone with any kind of autorithy (I don't really trust FN but its not impossible), this is a pretty dumb to say.

Of course those protests arr bad for Covid. I don't think anyone should try to pretend otherwise.

Now, if people choose to protest despite the risk, it's fine as long as they know the consequences. It's their choice. If they feel that police brutality and racism are big enoug problems (I personnally think they are) that it is worth risking their health for it, they are free to do so. I think this just adds to the seriousness of the protest - its so important that they are willing to risk what they've been protecting for months.

They are risking other people's life.

Anti-racism protests deemed safe from Covid-19, but anti-lockdown protests aren't, say health 'experts'

The letter, it's even funnier.

Reactions: angusyoung

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
EZ2z9mFWsAIhN7O

Dubas weighs in:

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

Yes, they are.

Not speaking out against police brutality and racism also put other people's lives as risk.

Which threat is bigger, the one that is immediate and destroyed a lot of lives or the one that has been there for centuries and destroyed countless lives? I'm not sure there is clear answer there. Especially since we'll likely have a Covid vaccine within a year and, if nobody acts, racism could be here for decades still. But Covid IS a threat that must be dealt with. Balancing the two issue is hard.

Most of those protests could have been avoided if Trump would have shown - any - leadership and just condemn racism. It's a pretty easy thing to do. But we all know why he doesn't.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Yes, they are.

Not speaking out against police brutality and racism also put other people's lives as risk.

Which threat is bigger, the one that is immediate and destroyed a lot of lives or the one that has been there for centuries and destroyed countless lives? I'm not sure there is clear answer there. Especially since we'll likely have a Covid vaccine within a year and, if nobody acts, racism could be here for decades still. But Covid IS a threat that must be dealt with. Balancing the two issue is hard.

Most of those protests could have been avoided if Trump would have shown - any - leadership and just condemn racism. It's a pretty easy thing to do. But we all know why he doesn't.

COVID-19 is more risky, we just closed the world economy because of it. You can't compare the two. You can fight racism without protesting and spreading the COVID-19.

He already condemned racism and you still believe that he's one...

Trump condemns 'racism, bigotry and white supremacy' in speech after mass shootings kill 31

Trump Has Condemned White Supremacists

Why people spread so many lies about Trump ?

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
COVID-19 is more risky, we just closed the world economy because of it. You can't compare the two. You can fight racism without protesting and spreading the COVID-19.

He already condemned racism and you still believe that he's one...

Trump condemns 'racism, bigotry and white supremacy' in speech after mass shootings kill 31

Trump Has Condemned White Supremacists

Why people spread so many lies about Trump ?

But he hasn't directly condemned it now, has he? Why? It's a pretty easy thing to do, no? ''We heard you, racism is bad, we have to fight it''.

There, no more Covid-related risk du to big gatherings. And if that somehow didn't stop the gatherings, then he could say he did what he could in the immediate situation. Win-win for him. At least you would think...

It was the same thing with Covid. It took him forever to acknowledged the threat and he made it much worse. Same can be said with those protests. No leadership.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
But he hasn't directly condemned it now, has he? Why? It's a pretty easy thing to do, no? ''We heard you, racism is bad, we have to fight it''.

There, no more Covid-related risk du to big gatherings. And if that somehow didn't stop the gatherings, then he could say he did what he could in the immediate situation. Win-win for him. At least you would think...

It was the same thing with Covid. It took him forever to acknowledged the threat and he made it much worse. Same can be said with those protests. No leadership.

He did.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Took about a minute before he politicized this for his own things :laugh:

Didn't say anything about racism or cop brutality. That's the key part. But somehow antifa was a more relevant thing to talk about :dunno:

"...We must defend the rights of every citizen to live without violence, prejudice or fear..."

He making a separation between protesters and looters, rioters and antifa.

If you choose to not understand, it's up to you my friend, have a nice day.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
In the US, it has sadly become common practice for cops to gun down suspects at the slightest hint of a weapon, leading to a lot of tragic false positives.

Here is one of the more famous examples, sadly there have been literally hundreds more like that over years, and surprise, they happen disproportionately to minorities of color. So what's what I'm talking about. It's bull**** and it's got to stop.

Okay, I don't want you to get me wrong idea here, because there is still definitely racial profiling among groups and cultures of law enforcement and there definitely remains racially fueled prejudice, BUT I'd be weary to throw that bolded part as proof of an overall culture.

The simple truth is, those minorities are the most convincted of street level crimes. And we know the major reason for those convictions is not cop bias. It's not the minorities themselves either, not their predispositions, not their genes. The major reason is poverty.

So where would anyone be able to draw a line? A lot of white poor folks also get convicted, en masse, but nothing close to thosd minorities and guess what? They're a minority among the poor in the US. So the disproportionality you aimed at is much more about socio-economic demographics, rather than an overall culture of racism and racial profiling.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The states need much better gun control,blatantly obvious!

Great Britain has almost as many crimes and death per capita as the US and yet, massive gun control.

Wanna know what they DO have in common though, other than the highest crime rates among G20 countries? They both have the highest rate of socio-economic inequality.

We can also see this same dynamic in interstate comparisons in the US.

Violence isn't about its means, but its cause.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Great Britain has almost as many crimes and death per capita as the US and yet, massive gun control.

Wanna know what they DO have in common though, other than the highest crime rates among G20 countries? They both have the highest rate of socio-economic inequality.

We can also see this same dynamic in interstate comparisons in the US.

Violence isn't about its means, but its cause.

This pertains to murder rate and only.

USA is 94 ,UK is 175 rank.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad