OT: Covid-19 (Part 23) Takin' it to the street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There are cities where the police get $300 million and the fire department gets $10 million. Why do these cops need tanks and machine guns? What is the message we are sending with that? If the police actually need that level of artillery to combat local crime we need to seriously examine what the f*** is happening in our society.
Tanks aren't part of local police armament, but yeah, your point is well taken. The fact that the feds need to demonstrate that extreme level of military dominance over its citizens reveals a far deeper problem.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
That's a collection of made-up caricatures about the middle class. It's not real.
To be clear, I didn't claim the entire middle class behaves this way. But a significant subset does, enough to obstruct actual progress on these issues. If you don't think some members of the middle class don't give a **** about Black Lives Matters, and are selfishly looking for any excuse to discredit the protests ("but the looters!!!"), you're more naïve than I thought. But anyways, happy to disagree about this and move on.

What's real is the damage done by real looters who destroy real property.
Nah sorry, what's real is that people are actually being murdered by cops. You can repair broken window panes. You can replace stolen goods. You can't bring George Floyd and Breonna Taylor back from the dead.

If you're going to make excuses for their behaviour and relieve them of accountability, how can you seriously turn around and demand accountability from others?
This is a strawman, I never once made excuses for looters. I'm deliberately not talking about them because that's a sideshow. You're really not getting my argument, are you? I hold police to a higher level of accountability because they're the ****in police. Actual authority figures who pledge to serve and protect us citizens.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
That's a collection of made-up caricatures about the middle class. It's not real. What's real is the damage done by real looters who destroy real property. If you're going to make excuses for their behaviour and relieve them of accountability, how can you seriously turn around and demand accountability from others?

who cares. that shit is insured/owned by the banks. rather someone break a few windows than kill a man over a fake $20 bill

I seriously do not get why Trump refuses to wear a mask. He is openly doing the opposite of the official public health recommendations in his own country and globally. Why? What message is he trying to send here?

I saw some speculate he feels it shows weakness. Imagine if your image was so fragile that wearing a mask would hurt you. So f***ing childish. Literally it is an 8 year old's idea of toughness.

his base mostly believe this whole thing is a hoax, so he's gotta play that hand for the elections

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You can never have too many doobies! :nod:

The real doobie brothers

images

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I seriously do not get why Trump refuses to wear a mask. He is openly doing the opposite of the official public health recommendations in his own country and globally. Why? What message is he trying to send here?

I saw some speculate he feels it shows weakness. Imagine if your image was so fragile that wearing a mask would hurt you. So f***ing childish. Literally it is an 8 year old's idea of toughness.

Exactly what I think it is. He is purposely being defiant. Like a child who does the opposite of what his parents tell him/her simply because they were told not to do it.

I'm wondering if any of these factories he's scheduled to visit could just turn him away if he shows up and doesn't want to wear a mask.

Didn't the Ford factory he visited weeks ago say he was required to wear a mask to visit, and he went in without wearing one? And one of the ministers went off on him after the visit for not wearing a mask. Couldn't Ford just tell him we won't let you in if you don't wear a mask?

I understand he's the president and all of that. But it shouldn't be reason enough to just allow him into your facility as he wants.

He is a weak man.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't know if this was shared already. But this is where Kaepernick got the idea for taking a knee during the anthem. It was from a veteran with who he met and had a conversation.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
To be clear, I didn't claim the entire middle class behaves this way. But a significant subset does, enough to obstruct actual progress on these issues. If you don't think some members of the middle class don't give a **** about Black Lives Matters, and are selfishly looking for any excuse to discredit the protests ("but the looters!!!"), you're more naïve than I thought. But anyways, happy to disagree about this and move on.
Talk about a made-up strawman. Stop characterizing the middle class as something it's not. The vast majority of middle class are worried about their kids, their jobs, their future, and the world around them. They volunteer, they sit on boards, and they get off their asses and vote. If you think the only way to be socially conscious is to march and yell, you're the one who's naive. Calling the middle class a bunch of names and pretending you understand them is a lame attempt to manufacture an enemy.

Nah sorry, what's real is that people are actually being murdered by cops. You can repair broken window panes. You can replace stolen goods. You can't bring George Floyd and Breonna Taylor back from the dead.
Yeah, and destroying other people's property doesn't bring them back either. So what does all that sideshow crap accomplish and for whose benefit is it done?

This is a strawman, I never once made excuses for looters. I'm deliberately not talking about them because that's a sideshow. You're really not getting my argument, are you? I hold police to a higher level of accountability because they're the ****in police. Actual authority figures who pledge to serve and protect us citizens.
You've minimized looting, and you've even shifted the blame to the police rather than the looters themselves. The sad reality is that looting has become more than a sideshow -- it's now a permanent feature of these protests. Time to acknowledge the harm they do and figure out how to make these lowlifes accountable. By the way, I hold police to a higher standard, too, and have called them out without reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad