OT: Covid-19 (Part 22) Open the door...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Lol, nope.
It's only an excuse to break and loot.

I know someone who used to break things during the carré rouge protest in Quebec few years ago.

He didn't cared about the manifestation or the cause . Only it was an opportunity to vandalize in chaos

So because you knew someone who took advantage of a situation once all the actual protesters are just faking it and we shouldn't hold criminal police accountable? What is your point here? The people vandalizing stuff could be said to be acting out of rage, but everyone knows that the looters are just ***holes taking advantage of the situation, and both are separate from the actual protestors.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Ok, I'm a bad.

These protest won't solve shit and where do you put "the economy" in that chart ? In front or under the systemic racism.

Because if the COVID-19 is as deadly as we think, then risking many lives it's not the smartest thing to do.

If it's not that deadly, then why we destroyed our economy ?
This question won’t be answered for quite some time. I thought the reaction/response was over the top. We will see what happens if there is a 2nd wave.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
From what I've read, the cop knew Floyd, so it might not have to do with race, but with something personal, but in the end could also be racist in nature, we just don't know. Racial tensions being what they are even before it happened, any such incident, racist or not, intended or not, would almost inevitably turn into new protests. It often does.

We're doomed to repeat this cycle until leaders in the US get with the program and stop planning based on outdated ideals and rampant self-interest and instead do what many developed countries have done, which is to curtail at least a good part of the socio-economic gap.
Sure, I believe there are some racist cops and some likely don’t believe they are racist or intend to be, but their prejudices and pre-conceived notions that they don’t even really know they have guide and influence their decisions.

Some feel more threatened when dealing with a black man, I have no doubt it, without knowing anything else about the man, but like you said, the majority of this stems from the socio-economic gap.

I think the system has failed many young black Folks. All they get is a little lip service come election time, none of the neighbourhoods are cleaned up, a disproportionate amount of blacks in prison for non violent crime etc. These kids need a way out, hope, something to live for. That’s where the systemic racism is real vs a bad apple within a specific department.

I remember watching the response to hurricane Katrina and thinking to myself this is unreal. If that didn’t show signs of systemic racism then I don’t know what else to say.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Ok, I'm a bad.

These protest won't solve shit and where do you put "the economy" in that chart ? In front or under the systemic racism.

Because if the COVID-19 is as deadly as we think, then risking many lives it's not the smartest thing to do.

If it's not that deadly, then why we destroyed our economy ?

The fact is COVID is just not that deadly for healthy folks under 60/65 years old. At first we didn't know. Now we do, and everything is opening up.

Coronavirus Death Rate (COVID-19) - Worldometer
"So far there has been 1 death every 1,166 people under 65 years old (compared to 1 death every 358 people in the general population). And 89% of the times, the person who died had one or more underlying medical conditions." That's crude mortality rate, not just of infected people. Still, that's 0.08%. Antibodies studies show that 20% of New-Yorkers have been infected with COVID. So triple the numbers until we reach mass immunity, that'd be 0.24% mortality rate.

Last edited:

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
The fact is COVID is just not that deadly for healthy folks under 60/65 years old. At first we didn't know. Now we do, and everything is opening up.

"So far there has been 1 death every 1,166 people under 65 years old (compared to 1 death every 358 people in the general population). And 89% of the times, the person who died had one or more underlying medical conditions."
It takes 4X longer to create a 60 year old then a 15 year old.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
One week ago people were called selfish pricks for asking to go back to work, but suddenly since the protest started, the media are acting like COVID-19 never existed.

1 week ago you couldn't have a funeral for you dead loved ones. You couldn't go see them take their last breath.

Now our PM is in a giant crowd or protesters.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
So now we are under Ontario. How the tables have turned.

If we can manage to keep the riot virus away we can hopefully continue on this path we are going on.

Lets not throw everything away in a fight we don't have a dog in.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

"So far there has been 1 death every 1,166 people under 65 years old (compared to 1 death every 358 people in the general population). And 89% of the times, the person who died had one or more underlying medical conditions." That's crude mortality rate, not just of infected people. Still, that's 0.08%. Antibodies studies show that 20% of New-Yorkers have been infected with COVID. So triple the numbers until we reach mass immunity, that'd be 0.24% mortality rate.

But we knew that a month ago.

Reactions: scrubadam

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Is it me or the people on the road are awful drivers / reckless / road ragers more common now ? I live in Lanaudière and before the confinement it wasn’t that bad ( I used to do 1 hour back and forth on the highway / urban areas in Lanaudière ) but now ? Seems like every day I see people not doing their stops , road raging , going way too fast , stopping at an exit cause they missed it etc !( 10 ++ easily ) Are people simply letting out their anxiety by driving or it has always been this way lol
Me as a walker I gotta check my blind spot before crossing street and streets (I'm not even kidding)...

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
That's ridiculous, they'll do anything to back their brothers, even when their brothers are wrong. At a minimum those officers actions at the protest were reckless causing serious injury, a suspension is insufficient and I hope the old man sues and gets a nice, huge settlement out of this.

Imagine a workplace where you work in a department, then 2 of your colleagues get suspended. Then the rest of the department quit because 2 of them were suspended. Yet, they don't really resign they just refuse to work with what they are supposed to do. If I was a chief I would fire the lot.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Thanks for the video Per. Yeah the Barbary lion is such a beautiful creature that I thought was extinct. Didn't know they still survive in Zoos. Were they born in captivity? Would explain why they failed to be re-introduced in the wild.

Those that are alive now are all born in activity which makes it hard. You probably have to get some wild female lions from south of Sahara, they need to be on the pill so they don't get pregnant and then have some male Barbary lions from captivity but still feisty enough, no lions that will seek up humans. You might for instance have a female Barbary impregnated, then get the female lion from the south get that impregnated egg operated into them so they can give birth to a full Barbary and then teach the cubs to hunt?

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Imagine a workplace where you work in a department, then 2 of you colleagues get suspended. Then the rest of the department quit because 2 of them were suspended. Yet, they don't really resign they just refuse to work with what they are supposed to do. If I was a chief I would fire the lot.

I agree, fire them all, let them work at McDonalds. They can go from cracking skulls to cracking eggs.:sarcasm:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
From what I've read, the cop knew Floyd, so it might not have to do with race, but with something personal, but in the end could also be racist in nature, we just don't know. Racial tensions being what they are even before it happened, any such incident, racist or not, intended or not, would almost inevitably turn into new protests. It often does.

We're doomed to repeat this cycle until leaders in the US get with the program and stop planning based on outdated ideals and rampant self-interest and instead do what many developed countries have done, which is to curtail at least a good part of the socio-economic gap.

Agreed. That is what I was discussing with a friend last night. I have watched documentaries about NYC from the 60s and 70s and how much a mess it was and they managed to clean up the place and create economic growth over the years in some areas and efforts have been made in the 90s to de-ghettoizes other areas but there is still work to be done.

Last edited:

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Imagine a workplace where you work in a department, then 2 of your colleagues get suspended. Then the rest of the department quit because 2 of them were suspended. Yet, they don't really resign they just refuse to work with what they are supposed to do. If I was a chief I would fire the lot.
My understanding is that they volunteered for that job assignment.

Why screw up your career and paycheck for a thankless job like that. If your bosses doesn't have your back, why do them any favours? If I was in their situation I'd do the same. Put yourself first.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I get what you are saying but we don't understand the sort of pressure these guys live under. They are demonized constantly in the media and if they don't stick by each other, who will. I have seen things during these riots, young men endure things I would not be capable of doing facing mobs throwing bricks at them and worse. I was looking at these guys, trying to imagine if I was one of the guys' father and I felt for them a lot. Nothing can prepare you for something like that.

Reactions: scrubadam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad