OT: Covid-19 (Part 22) Open the door...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Umm it seems like the two things go hand in hand. I'm saying that we are not there in the job interviews to witness it and that a lot of this talk is yes vertue signaling. I have to admit I have a hard time following your post....
you're joking right ?

Reactions: Edgy

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
so what you're saying is because he was high, and because he allegedly pulled a gun on a pregnant woman in his past, this man is not a victim of a police brutality? he kind of deserved it? dying a slow gasping death from a cop kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes?

Police brutality is bad and should be punished. But I'm saying that he was not a stand up guy and that you choose your path in life. And that David Dorn a police officer that was loved by his community was shot down performing an heroic act and all the media talk about is George Floyd. Because it doesn't have the narrative that they want to promote.

i can't ****ing believe some of the posters on this board, man. :shakehead

Oh no we have a different opinions than you.

this is a perfect example of systemic racism btw. the man died in those horrible circumstances and people are still trying to find ways to discredit him.

Good Lord, if a white criminal is killed by cops, I'm probably gonna say man this unfortunate but he should have known better. I'm not gonna go on conspiracy theories. Do you think when the cops arrested George Floyd, he just sat in the police car calmly? You think they went "well good sir, sit right there, I'm going to go get the tea? then after that we're gonna kill you?". Obviously they were having trouble in arresting him and he was resisting. And it went too far. And for their incompetence, they should be fired and go to prison for sure. You could say he was killed cause they were racists. But are were not in the brains of these guys.

But I think in society we tend to go into these type of psychosis sometime feed by the media and so forth. And the riots were part of this.

Reactions: habsfan891

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
When I went to Morocco a long time ago I met some people of Berber origin and there used to be a mighty lion call Barbary or Atlas Lion. The last one was shot by a French colonial officer in 1920 and they only survive in Zoos these days. It is such a beautiful beast.

Thanks for the video Per. Yeah the Barbary lion is such a beautiful creature that I thought was extinct. Didn't know they still survive in Zoos. Were they born in captivity? Would explain why they failed to be re-introduced in the wild.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
With our government taking part in protests, are we done with COVID? Are we okay with the risk to elderly folk in nursing homes now? The protests are extremely important to our future as a nation and a world, so I understand why he's taking part. But you think he would continue to practice what he's been saying for 3 months.

MilhouseIsScared

Apr 27, 2020
With our government taking part in protests, are we done with COVID? Are we okay with the risk to elderly folk in nursing homes now? The protests are extremely important to our future as a nation and a world, so I understand why he's taking part. But you think he would continue to practice what he's been saying for 3 months.
IT seems like covid19 «does not exist »anymore but I’d say that it’s probably due to the fact that « we won the first round» . All we gotta do is be responsible , follow the health guidelines to protect those who are more vulnerable

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015

I don't think we're done with covid, thousands are still dying daily, world cases are increasing. Unfortunately the media, especially in the US, is unwilling to cover a multitude of issues at the same time, they like to devote the entire programming on a single issue 24/7. The media coverage will switch back to covid 24/7 once these protests end, unless another story displaces it.

Last edited:

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE PROTESTS.

Criminals are not being held accountable for their crimes simply because they wear a badge. Why does a citizen exorcising their constitutional right to protest face a harsher penalty than a police officer using excessive force and injuring or even killing someone? There is a certain segment of the population that loves to preach accountability but folds like a cheap suit when it comes to holding the police accountable.

Lol, nope.
It's only an excuse to break and loot.

I know someone who used to break things during the carré rouge protest in Quebec few years ago.

He didn't cared about the manifestation or the cause . Only it was an opportunity to vandalize in chaos

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
IT seems like covid19 «does not exist »anymore but I’d say that it’s probably due to the fact that « we won the first round» . All we gotta do is be responsible , follow the health guidelines to protect those who are more vulnerable
If we open up it's impossible to fully protect vulnerable people. Health care workers ARE going to bring it into hospitals, nursing homes, and congregate care settings.

I'm not saying we shouldn't open things up. I just think that saying it's fine to open if we protect the vulnerable isn't really something that goes hand in hand.

I don't think we're done with covid, thousands are still dying daily, world cases are increasing. Unfortunately the media, especially in the US, is unwilling to cover a multitude of issues at the same time, they like to devote the entire programming on a single issue 24/7. The media coverage will switch back to covid 24/7 once these protests end, unless another story displaces it.
That's my whole wondering though. I get that change is needed in regards to racism - it's disgusting. It's gross that it's still something that happens in this world. The protests are for a great and much needed reason. But we were fighting a deadly virus that shut down the entire world basically.. that would have supposedly killed in the millions without precautions, just the other day (with tons of restrictions still in place).

It just seems confusing to have our government preach distancing but then take part in a protest that was photographed showing a clear lack of distancing.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for the video Per. Yeah the Barbary lion is such a beautiful creature that I thought was extinct. Didn't know they still survive in Zoos. Were they born in captivity? Would explain why they failed to be re-introduced in the wild.
There's less than 100 in zoo's, last I heard.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
If we open up it's impossible to fully protect vulnerable people. Health care workers ARE going to bring it into hospitals, nursing homes, and congregate care settings.

I'm not saying we shouldn't open things up. I just think that saying it's fine to open if we protect the vulnerable isn't really something that goes hand in hand.

That's my whole wondering though. I get that change is needed in regards to racism - it's disgusting. It's gross that it's still something that happens in this world. The protests are for a great and much needed reason. But we were fighting a deadly virus that shut down the entire world basically.. that would have supposedly killed in the millions without precautions, just the other day (with tons of restrictions still in place).

It just seems confusing to have our government preach distancing but then take part in a protest that was photographed showing a clear lack of distancing.

People are growing tired with social distancing, wearing masks... and are slacking off. Just saw Smerconish interviewing a grocer who was vandalized. Smerconish was interviewing this man, not wearing a mask and standing 2 feet apart, the grocer had his mask around his neck. A lot of people either don't care, don't believe there's a threat or simply have given up.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Police brutality is bad and should be punished. But I'm saying that he was not a stand up guy and that you choose your path in life. And that David Dorn a police officer that was loved by his community was shot down performing an heroic act and all the media talk about is George Floyd. Because it doesn't have the narrative that they want to promote.

Oh no we have a different opinions than you.

Good Lord, if a white criminal is killed by cops, I'm probably gonna say man this unfortunate but he should have known better. I'm not gonna go on conspiracy theories. Do you think when the cops arrested George Floyd, he just sat in the police car calmly? You think they went "well good sir, sit right there, I'm going to go get the tea? then after that we're gonna kill you?". Obviously they were having trouble in arresting him and he was resisting. And it went too far. And for their incompetence, they should be fired and go to prison for sure. You could say he was killed cause they were racists. But are were not in the brains of these guys.

But I think in society we tend to go into these type of psychosis sometime feed by the media and so forth. And the riots were part of this.

From what I've read, the cop knew Floyd, so it might not have to do with race, but with something personal, but in the end could also be racist in nature, we just don't know. Racial tensions being what they are even before it happened, any such incident, racist or not, intended or not, would almost inevitably turn into new protests. It often does.

We're doomed to repeat this cycle until leaders in the US get with the program and stop planning based on outdated ideals and rampant self-interest and instead do what many developed countries have done, which is to curtail at least a good part of the socio-economic gap.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
People are growing tired with social distancing, wearing masks... and are slacking off. Just saw Smerconish interviewing a grocer who was vandalized. Smerconish was interviewing this man, not wearing a mask and standing 2 feet apart, the grocer had his mask around his neck. A lot of people either don't care, don't believe there's a threat or simply have given up.
I do agree with that statement. And that's the whole point of my question.

If the PM is going to be photographed without distancing, do you think people are going to care about doing it themselves? If he goes on TV tomorrow and speaks about distancing, do you think anyone will listen now?

Better yet, if a second wave were to come - do you think people would listen again after our PM disregarded his own distancing rules, effectively allowing thousands of others to do the same in his presence?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Biggest problem right now is the USA are infecting the whole world with their way of politicizing everything.
I'm talking about both sides of the fences.

They politicized the Pandemic to a point of no return.
They politicized stupid shit from wearing masks, WHO and a freaking drug.

They are politicizing these protests now to a whole new level.
It's becoming more and more dangerous.
In an Election Year…..they are playing with people's life now in order to get votes.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
From what I've read, the cop knew Floyd, so it might not have to do with race, but with something personal, but in the end could also be racist in nature, we just don't know. Racial tensions being what they are even before it happened, any such incident, racist or not, intended or not, would almost inevitably turn into new protests. It often does.

The cop, Derek Chauvin, has been involved in multiple incidents already where fatal force was used. He's shot another black man before and he killed a native man as well. Justified? Hard to say. He has a high number of incidents and reprimands against him.

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Lol, nope.
It's only an excuse to break and loot.

I know someone who used to break things during the carré rouge protest in Quebec few years ago.

He didn't cared about the manifestation or the cause . Only it was an opportunity to vandalize in chaos
Yup there is a lot of people like that.
That's why they need to keep having the protests mid day only. Those people wouldn't break stuff in broad daylight.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
@Per Sjoblom I wanted you to see this. $3.50/lb

GetAttachmentThumbnail

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
The cop, Derek Chauvin, has been involved in multiple incidents already where fatal force was used. He's shot another black man before and he killed a native man as well. Justified? Hard to say. He has a high number of incidents and reprimands against him.

That's what's shocking. I mean here I think after a few complaints you are moved to an office and are filing reports or putting post stamps on envelopes all day. 18 complaints or reports filed against him ? that's absurd. If you have a guy like that on the force, he better be paired with a senior officer who keeps a close eye on him. He worked with George Floyd at the same bar, they knew each other. The creepiest thing about it is that while it was happening and filmed in broad daylight Chauvin looked relaxed and calm - he didn't even think he'd be in trouble while clearly committing murder casually.

The riots are so smooth compared to what LA went through in the early 90's after the Rodney King beating. Go ahead, pull up some footage from youtube, you will realize that breaking a few windows and a minority stealing stuff is not a big deal. Keep flipping cars, keep setting them on fire until all 4 are behind bars. The people demand justice and our institutions have proven to deliver that a little too slow and a little too late if not at all. The pressure on our institutions is legitimate.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Montreal (6th June)

- Cases -
1st June: 25,545 (+108)
2nd June: 25,652 (+107)
3rd June: 25,788 (+136)
4th June: 25,900 (+112)
5th June: 26,025 (+125)
6th June: 26,122 (+97)