OT: Covid-19 (Part 22) Open the door...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A full lockdown with enforced measures would have fixed the issue with the borders. You can't spread imported cases if you aren't leaving your house unless it's essential.

Not "Home Depot to buy plants" essential, or "Wal Mart to browse for new sheets" essential. Like, really actually essential.

Not necessarily. They did curfews in the UAE and Saudi Arabia, pretty early on as well, and they still got a lot of cases.

Again, you seem to think most of our cases come from people going shopping for unessentials. This is purely a fabrication of your mind.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Not necessarily. They did curfews in the UAE and Saudi Arabia, pretty early on as well, and they still got a lot of cases.

Again, you seem to think most of our cases come from people going shopping for unessentials. This is purely a fabrication of your mind.

Of what I heard is that most of the cases are within foreign workers.
Since it's young healthy men living in small packed houses.
Look at Qatar
50k cases 33 deaths 2.8 mil population.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I don't care because Germany has already started reopening and yesterday they were around 650 cases...in Canada we were at 872. So whether or not Germany works its way down to 50 daily cases at some point is pretty irrelevant to the discussion.
Point is, most places, if not all, that have been hit hard don't wait until they're anywhere between 0-50 daily cases to reopen.
The numbers will keep dropping, there are periods where it will probably fluctuate back up, and then down, until eventually, hopefully, there are no more cases.

Germany has a highly developed plan and system for contact tracing. So, they can reopen because they are putting everything into containing the outbreak via these methods.

These places are not at 0-50 cases because they waited around and did nothing. They are where they are because they take contact tracing seriously.

Right, and I'm all for it, but until then...what exactly are you suggesting? For people to stay in or to reopen?

If a country or region cannot handle a full-scale test-trace-isolate system where you trace and isolate every single new case then you simply are not ready to reopen. You need to keep mitigation measures in place as much as you can until the numbers get down to a manageable level.

The countries we're talking about here, they can handle it. We have already admitted that we cannot. If we can't handle the caseload as it is how can you possible expect that to improve if numbers begin to increase?

I don't really get your point here...shall we go back in time?? You want to keep crying and bitching about the terrible response from the government indefinitely?
I've argued for mask from the very beginning, my GF sent me some from HK right away. I had N95 masks at home before nurses in hospitals it seems. Our government dropped the ball on many fronts.
We agree, so not sure what you're going on about.

The measures I was proposing 1 month ago, you dismissed as unrealistic and we can't possibly do that because people are too fed up and literally dying because they're extroverts.

Now you're saying an adequate response is unrealistic because things devolved after we never implemented the very measures I proposed last month.

So what then? Next month when things are still shit compared to most other countries you'll be saying we should have started test-trace-isolate a month prior when things were not as bad?

The longer you wait, the more excuses you make, the harder this will be to fix.

This government listens to backlash. The fact that you are so willing to just accept their mistakes and inaction is contributing to their complacency.

So ya...I assume that's a handful of cases. I was pointing out that no, there aren't ''plenty'' of countries that were hit as bad as us and waited for their cases back down to ''almost zero'' to reopen.

Nothing I said goes against test-trace-isolate...so again...not sure what you're on about.

Not a single one of these countries waited. Not a single one. Again with your f***ing "waiting" nonsense. It's like you're doing it on purpose.

They did not wait. They acted. They acted and now they can benefit.

WE waited. Quebec waited. And now we want the benefits without any of the action.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Ok? I am talking about an enforced lockdown like New Zealand did. Measures like Australia did. Not a curfew.

This virus spreads from human contact. People are in contact when they're standing in line outside of Walmart to buy bullshit. Having non-essential stores open gives the perception that things are ok, that they are normal. They were not and they still are not. It's half-measures like this that lead to people not taking it seriously, breaking their quarantine and gathering regularly with friends/family/whatever. And THAT DOES lead to an increase in cases, we are still seeing that problem today.

In New Zealand they closed down f***ing everything, even restaurants and takeout. Everyone took it seriously there because the response from the government and their actions made people take it seriously.

Here it started off well. But then they kept open every f***ing store except for Levis and people stopped thinking it was a big deal.

Reactions: tazsub3

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Montreal (28th May)

- Cases -
22nd May: 23,413
23rd May: 23,696
24th May: 23,918 (+222)
25th May: 24,116 (+198)
26th May: 24,388 (+272)
27th May: 24,611 (+223)
28th May: 24,838 (+227)

- Deaths -
22nd May: 2,454
23rd May: 2,508
24th May: 2,538 (+30)
25th May: 2,558 (+20)
26th May: 2,584 (+26)
27th May: 2,624 (+40)
28th May: 2,666 (+42)

Reactions: llamateizer

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
With all the data coming out showing the most serious cases and deaths mostly affect 80+ year old people with preexisting conditions, I don't understand the level of hysteria still persisting around this.

Take care of the elderly, follow current hygiene guidelines when dealing with them until this thing subsides by whichever means it does.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
With all the data coming out showing the most serious cases and deaths mostly affect 80+ year old people with preexisting conditions, I don't understand the level of hysteria still persisting around this.

Take care of the elderly, follow current hygiene guidelines when dealing with them until this thing subsides by whichever means it does.

Ah well, you should definitely send your findings to the governments in Canada, the USA and Europe, as well as public health bodies around the globe. They will be very interested in learning that they have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: angusyoung

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal

Two points:

1) It is much more contagious that any virus out there. It is basically as contagious as the flu but because NO HUMAN has any immunity to this (except the ones that have had it), it makes it much more contagious and an Ro over 2. The flu is yearly less contagious Ro around 1-1.5 because humans have some immunity to some strains and there is a yearly vaccine for it.

2) Also, it is 5 to 8 more deadly than the seasonal flu (0.5 to 0.8% IFR compared to 0.1%).

To conclude:

With no containment measures, this virus will infect much more than the flu at a death rate 5 to 8 times higher. The result will be far worse than a lot of flu pandemics.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The Premier League will start on June 17th with a postponed game of Manchester City and Arsenal, then the week after it will be a full round of games. They expect to be done in early August.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Too bad there is no suspense about who is going to win the league. Tons of teams are fighting for CL/EL spots though.

I am fine with that since I am a LFC fan. Yes about teh CL/EL spots, that will be the real interesting thing plus the fight for staying in the the Premier League. I hope Leeds go up from the Championship.

Reactions: lo striver

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Ah well, you should definitely send your findings to the governments in Canada, the USA and Europe, as well as public health bodies around the globe. They will be very interested in learning that they have nothing to worry about.
Those ARE government findings. If you bothered to read my post in the previous thread you would know this, but you prefer hysteria and fear mongering.

The data is Italy's ISS health institute. The same country that everyone modeled their projections and based their responses on.

So drop the attitude and sarcasm and maybe educate yourself because you have no substance to add to this conversation. All you do is scream masks, closure and contact tracing, over and over and over again.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Two points:

1) It is much more contagious that any virus out there. It is basically as contagious as the flu but because NO HUMAN has any immunity to this (except the ones that have had it), it makes it much more contagious and an Ro over 2. The flu is yearly less contagious Ro around 1-1.5 because humans have some immunity to some strains and there is a yearly vaccine for it.

2) Also, it is 5 to 8 more deadly than the seasonal flu (0.5 to 0.8% IFR compared to 0.1%).

To conclude:

With no containment measures, this virus will infect much more than the flu at a death rate 5 to 8 times higher. The result will be far worse than a lot of flu pandemics.
Contagious, yes. Deadly? Depends on your health conditions prior to contracting it.

Most people that have contacted it have either displayed no symptoms or their symptoms were mild enough not to warrant medical intervention.

81% of the deaths in Italy had 2-3 preexisting conditions, 96% if you include only 1 preexisting condition.
SmartSelect_20200528-145323_Chrome.jpg

"ISS analysis shows that as of May 25 only about 1.1% of virus fatalities have been under 50 years of age and more than 57% were over 80. Nearly half of new cases in May were registered at nursing homes."

So again, protect the most vulnerable and anyone that starts displaying symptoms can follow current protocols to reduce further spreading.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I am fine with that since I am a LFC fan. Yes about teh CL/EL spots, that will be the real interesting thing plus the fight for staying in the the Premier League. I hope Leeds go up from the Championship.
EPL is my favorite national league but I do not follow any specific team. I want to see drama, so I pick matches where teams are fighting for standings or are big rivals. English games have the best atmosphere, it will not be the same without fans in the stands. I am looking forward to watching remaining CL games - biggest teams, biggest players, biggest drama... I suspect they will restart some time in July if all goes well with national championships.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->