OT: COVID-19-No politics! Read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We cancelled our trip to Stockholm in late July too. Air Canada says they will give us a credit which we can use in next 12 months. I mean I'd rather get my money back but I get it. My daughter finally got da sense to cancel her trip down south. Guess what Selloffvacations.com did? You guessed right. I paid da $3,000. Well I told her I would so I did.

Will they be solvent? I bet they will be nationalized after this, like most Airlines around the world.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Exactly man, I'd sit around a cottage in the wilderness for 6 months. May be some of my best times. Jet ski, fish, snowmobile and all the while helping society. I'd go through it all to help out.
Doesn’t sound like a bad deal to me either ha :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Israel doubled down on their vaccine statements today, they say they will have it in 3 weeks and available for production in 3 months. This is the same timeline they gave a couple of weeks ago, so the goalposts have moved a bit

sounds like an oral vaccine based on another one that was meant for a different coronavirus

U.S. volunteer receives first shot of experimental coronavirus vaccine

A healthy U.S. volunteer received the first dose of an experimental coronavirus vaccine, a potential defense against the virus if it becomes a long-term threat.
Where it stands: The trial will ultimately give 45 volunteers two doses about 28 days apart in order to test the vaccine's effectiveness in protecting the subjects against COVID-19. If successful, several more trials with larger subject groups will be needed to prove whether there are common side effects.
Context: The vaccine candidate, code-named mRNA-1273, was developed by the National Institutes of Health and Massachusetts-based biotechnology company Moderna Inc.
  • Several other vaccines from researchers and companies around the world are in development.
What to watch: Even if the trial is successful, a vaccine for mass production and distribution worldwide will likely not be available for 12–18 months, said Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Will they be solvent? I bet they will be nationalized after this, like most Airlines around the world.
I can't imagine Air Canada going down. Too big to fail scenario there. I am sure the GOV will float them because too many pilots and stewards not working now. We need an airline to be around. Now Westjet likely goes under. This is gonna be real disaster. Hotels, airlines, travel companies, restaurants, taxis, holy cow they are all in d**p sh*t. How many of these operators can survive for a few months with virtually no revenue? This is make the bank bailout look like small potatoes. We are going to take on billions of debt here. Billions. Get da printing presses working full steam.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Keeping bars open when the biggest drinking day is tommorow... What could go wrong.

at some point responsibility should fall on the individual too no? i mean just becasue the provincial government didn't close them doesn't mean you should go there in groups

I do agree bars and restaurants should have been closed or perhaps scaled back like in Italy though.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
And here you have it. -2,999,14 and last friday -9.99%

Dow 20,186.48 -2,999.14 -12.94%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What did you think was going to happen? The stock market isn't magical fairy pixie land

This contagen is a threat to every economy on the planet and the stock market is going to reflect that fact, so down she goes

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
And here you have it. -2,999,14 and last friday -9.99%

Dow 20,186.48 -2,999.14 -12.94%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I waited to late on Friday to cash out my $10,000 profit. now after today I'm up to $15,000 on a couple short positions. look like you have to close out the position first thing in morning to get er done. first time I have ever shorted. was a little scared because too much leverage. but will close out in morning. i think i will hold cash a bit here. and then wait to invest in bounce back in a couple months. these are weird times. but you can make some money in shorts. but you use leverage and could get called.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
at some point responsibility should fall on the individual too no? i mean just becasue the provincial government didn't close them doesn't mean you should go there in groups

I do agree bars and restaurants should have been closed or perhaps scaled back like in Italy though.
The problem in our society is we have these ultra asshats that put razor blades in Halloween candy, and needles in kids parks. Yeah, the onus should be on us to take the right steps, but it only takes a few of the dbags to spit on a takeout pizza and it's game over.

ronzigato

Jan 5, 2006
Ontario

Ideally, for sure. Realistically, we've got the PM telling people who decided it was a good idea to travel for March break to get home, and people hoarding toilet paper. I've got a feeling that there is a segment of the population where lack of intelligence and lack of giving a shit intersect, and those are the people who will ruin everything without the government shutting things down.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The problem in our society is we have these ultra asshats that put razor blades in Halloween candy, and needles in kids parks. Yeah, the onus should be on us to take the right steps, but it only takes a few of the dbags to spit on a takeout pizza and it's game over.

yep you are right. The herd is only as fast as it’s slowest member

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
My impression is that Trudeau was leaving it up to each Province to decide on a lockdown. He referred that while the national strategy should be similar, each province is being impact differently.

My guess is that he doesn't want to substantially impact provinces that could really suffer from economic downturn with a lock down (such as PEI, the Terrorities, etc) when they have not had many reported cases. Whether that's the right call or not remains to be seen. But that was my impression.

Ford seems really engaged with the Feds on this matter. That gives me the thought he was hoping that the Feds would make that decision for him, and now it seems like it's pushed back on him to make that call.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a lockdown come down at the provincial level within the next few days.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
U.S. volunteer receives first shot of experimental coronavirus vaccine

A healthy U.S. volunteer received the first dose of an experimental coronavirus vaccine, a potential defense against the virus if it becomes a long-term threat.
Where it stands: The trial will ultimately give 45 volunteers two doses about 28 days apart in order to test the vaccine's effectiveness in protecting the subjects against COVID-19. If successful, several more trials with larger subject groups will be needed to prove whether there are common side effects.
Context: The vaccine candidate, code-named mRNA-1273, was developed by the National Institutes of Health and Massachusetts-based biotechnology company Moderna Inc.
  • Several other vaccines from researchers and companies around the world are in development.
What to watch: Even if the trial is successful, a vaccine for mass production and distribution worldwide will likely not be available for 12–18 months, said Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
so I think the one leg up that the Israeli one has is that because its based on an existing vaccine, it appears like that would reduce some of the human trial steps. I do think even if they're successful, 12 months is likely the realistic timeframe including manufacture and distribution around the world

definitely an arms race going on for the vaccine though, and governments are lining up to buy rights to whichever one is leading

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My impression is that Trudeau was leaving it up to each Province to decide on a lockdown. He referred that while the national strategy should be similar, each province is being impact differently.

My guess is that he doesn't want to substantially impact provinces that could really suffer from economic downturn with a lock down (such as PEI, the Terrorities, etc) when they have not had many reported cases. Whether that's the right call or not remains to be seen. But that was my impression.

Ford seems really engaged with the Feds on this matter. That gives me the thought he was hoping that the Feds would make that decision for him, and now it seems like it's pushed back on him to make that call.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a lockdown come down at the provincial level within the next few days.
The real question is who paying and how much EI. These guys are all saying da right thing. But let's hear from the servers who are getting laid off? or hotel staff not needed right now? or cabin crew? is it still 67% of your wage? to me that is not fully helping people out. Make people whole.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
so I think the one leg up that the Israeli one has is that because its based on an existing vaccine, it appears like that would reduce some of the human trial steps. I do think even if they're successful, 12 months is likely the realistic timeframe including manufacture and distribution around the world

definitely an arms race going on for the vaccine though, and governments are lining up to buy rights to whichever one is leading

I personally think it's puff and won't work but for the initial strain. This thing has already mutated and it's a Corona Virus, they exist because they mutate otherwise they would be extinct.

Reactions: Jojalu

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
yep you are right. The herd is only as fast as it’s slowest member

Then you take care of the slowest, but you keep personal responsibility and as a civil libertarian I'm very Leary of giving governments more powers they never seem to give back

A lot of laws and government powers start out with good intentions but morph over time into something unrecognizable

Look at the patriot act, yikes

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Then you take care of the slowest, but you keep personal responsibility and as a civil libertarian I'm very Leary of giving governments more powers they never seem to give back

A lot of laws and government powers start out with good intentions but morph over time into something unrecognizable

Oh this will be abused. It's rather Orwellian, even as I agree with stronger measures.
But if this whole thing is possibly because of unregulated 5G service going live across the planet.....yikes.

Reactions: Kiwi

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The real question is who paying and how much EI. These guys are all saying da right thing. But let's hear from the servers who are getting laid off? or hotel staff not needed right now? or cabin crew? is it still 67% of your wage? to me that is not fully helping people out. Make people whole.

It's not the best but if they suspend rent and mortgages for a month it would be enough to cover groceries and utilities.

They will grant money to small business and to employees. The question is when.

The darker side of the equation is how much this will spike inflation.

We don't have billions sitting around waiting to be given out

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

agreed. That’s why I’m not jumping on the government to enact a lockdown I’d rather they not have a precedent in the future any government conservative or liberal to say it’s in their power

Reactions: Kiwi

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

I'm afraid you're putting too much faith in personal responsibility Walshy. There will always be a large portion of people that don't care about anything but themselves.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
agreed. That’s why I’m not jumping on the government to enact a lockdown I’d rather they not have a precedent in the future any government conservative or liberal to say it’s in their power

I'm with you on that one, once that particular genie is out of the box there is no putting it back in afterwards

The New Zealand government already has more power than I'd like without giving them this precedent as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad