OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Probably because there isnt anyone to staff the overflow even if they did have a place for beds.

A good thing but exacerbates the bed situation is we have figured out how to treat this better so people arent dying and emptying beds like they were last year.
Odd considering they apparently had the staff last year.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Armour, if the provider is a NP, they can be reported to the nursing board but I am not sure anything would be done. No laws were broken.

As far as Vandy being full, how many of the staff quit after the last year.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Armour, if the provider is a NP, they can be reported to the nursing board but I am not sure anything would be done. No laws were broken.

As far as Vandy being full, how many of the staff quit after the last year.

Was gonna post this about staff quitting plus they mobilized the national guard for help I believe.

Armour, I know you just had a loss so I'm not trying be harsh but you (and many laypeople) have no idea how "lean" hospitals run even in good times. There just arent enough staff to suddenly cover an extra 20 or even 10 critical care beds

Reactions: hockey diva

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Was gonna post this about staff quitting plus they mobilized the national guard for help I believe.

Armour, I know you just had a loss so I'm not trying be harsh but you (and many laypeople) have no idea how "lean" hospitals run even in good times. There just arent enough staff to suddenly cover an extra 20 or even 10 critical care beds
Well then someone needs to get on it whatever it is. I find it entirely unacceptable when it hasn't been that long ago since it was done. If it was because they had more state and federal resources then Gov. Lee and President Biden need to get on it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Probably cause people can just get vaccinated and this isn’t a thing.

At this point, give people that have been vaccinated preferred treatment. Unvaccinated people can get a bed if they are available.

tough shit or whatever they yell about their freedoms.
27 vaccinated people on the same cruise ship just got it. My aunt had it, my wife's aunt currently has it and it killed my uncle. All were vaccinated. Heck at this point I know more people that have had it who were vaccinated than those weren't.

Frankly I don't think think the current vaccine does jack squat against the delta variant. I think the biggest difference is hospitals know more about treatments.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
27 vaccinated people on the same cruise ship just got it. My aunt had it, my wife's aunt currently has it and it killed my uncle. All were vaccinated. Heck at this point I know more people that have had it who were vaccinated than those weren't.

Frankly I don't think think the current vaccine does jack squat against the delta variant. I think the biggest difference is hospitals know more about treatments.

Did any of those 27 end up in the hospital or the ICU? No, I read the article. They are all either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.
The current vaccine most definitely does "squat" against delta. The bulletproof vest is still the best analogy
We are finding out that the immunocompromised and the very elderly are still getting quite sick despite vaccination, thus the just authorized booster.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Did any of those 27 end up in the hospital or the ICU? No, I read the article. They are all either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.
The current vaccine most definitely does "squat" against delta. The bulletproof vest is still the best analogy
We are finding out that the immunocompromised and the very elderly are still getting quite sick despite vaccination, thus the just authorized booster.
And people were asymptomatic or had mild cases before the vaccine. That doesn't prove a dang thing other than they are lucky no one ended up in the hospital.

If the original vaccine was doing much of anything we wouldn't need another freaking shot.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
And people were asymptomatic or had mild cases before the vaccine. That doesn't prove a dang thing other than they are lucky no one ended up in the hospital.

If the original vaccine was doing much of anything we wouldn't need another freaking shot.

Speaking as someone who is fully vaccinated (Pfizer) and who is currently quarantined at home with Covid, if the shots keep me out of the hospital, they're doing their job. This stuff sucks bad enough already. And if we'd all gotten the vaccines when they were first available, chances are I wouldn't have to be going through this anyway.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

This is demonstrably a false statement and to try to stand by it will make you look foolish. There are reams of statistics showing the vaccine decreases the likelihood of significant illness, hospitalizations, ICU admissions, and death.

Just look the province of Ontario, where vaccination rates are high. In a province of 15 million they are seeing about 300 new cases a day as opposed to Tennessee pop 6.8 million with 1300 new cases a day

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The issue isn't that the vaccine doesn't do anything, or doesn't do enough. Vaccines aren't magic shields that protect you completely from getting a virus. But it does weaken the virus and slow it's spread.

If you're the only vaccinated person, you might as well not have it. And in the metro area, Davidson leads the way with like 40+% vaccinated, while surrounding counties are in the 30's. That's not nearly enough to bring the transmission rate down, we need at least 70-80% vaccinated.

Beyond that, we relaxed safety measures like distancing and masking once the numbers started going in the right direction. I said it then and I'll continue to say it, that was a HUGE mistake. Seeing numbers improve wasn't a sign that we can stop doing those things, it was a sign that those things were working and that we need to continue them until the virus was gone. Federal, state and local government has failed our nation massively, fueled by the large contingency of science-deniers (friendliest term I could use for a certain segment of the population).

We need masking, we need hygiene, we need distancing, remote work and learning where possible, capacity restrictions, travel restrictions and every able person to get vaccinated. It's all very simple stuff, but very simply people are undermining the entire thing.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
The issue isn't that the vaccine doesn't do anything, or doesn't do enough. Vaccines aren't magic shields that protect you completely from getting a virus. But it does weaken the virus and slow it's spread.

If you're the only vaccinated person, you might as well not have it. And in the metro area, Davidson leads the way with like 40+% vaccinated, while surrounding counties are in the 30's. That's not nearly enough to bring the transmission rate down, we need at least 70-80% vaccinated.

Beyond that, we relaxed safety measures like distancing and masking once the numbers started going in the right direction. I said it then and I'll continue to say it, that was a HUGE mistake. Seeing numbers improve wasn't a sign that we can stop doing those things, it was a sign that those things were working and that we need to continue them until the virus was gone. Federal, state and local government has failed our nation massively, fueled by the large contingency of science-deniers (friendliest term I could use for a certain segment of the population).

We need masking, we need hygiene, we need distancing, remote work and learning where possible, capacity restrictions, travel restrictions and every able person to get vaccinated. It's all very simple stuff, but very simply people are undermining the entire thing.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying in principle, but what is the end game?

The CDC is saying that this Delta strain is around 2x more transmittable than previous variants. It seems clear that even when the virus is smoldering at lower levels in a region it is only a matter of time before it flares up again if there are susceptible hosts. The vaccine does a great job preventing serious illness, and it seems to be partly effective at reducing transmission. If the vast majority were vaccinated perhaps the infection rate would dwindle. The problem with that is that it's clear the vast majority aren't going to get vaccinated. I'm still down with measures to protect those who aren't able to get vaxxed like the 12 and unders, but after that isn't the only way out of this (this being the pandemic of wild up and down surges) infection of the masses until a quasi -herd immunity takes hold?

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
With the news about booster shots for the immune compromised on the way and third shots for the general population after 8 months I have to say that I'm not a fan of these moves ethically. For the immune compromised? Sure. For the gen pop? No. Vaccinate the world first.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
With the news about booster shots for the immune compromised on the way and third shots for the general population after 8 months I have to say that I'm not a fan of these moves ethically. For the immune compromised? Sure. For the gen pop? No. Vaccinate the world first.
Doing so requires reliable and trustworthy distribution mechanisms that don't presently exist in many corners of the world. If you think the politics around the vaccine are bad here, imagine them in a world where folks want the vaccine but petty officials are the ones making the calls as to who gets to have it based off of, ah, "patronage". I'm sure as hell sick of the performative dumbassery around here, that's for damn sure, but I'll take it a million times over something like that.

That said, I wish COVAX much good fortune, and I sure wouldn't mind if MSF was more involved in administration (they already handle it for other vaccinations as well...)

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Doing so requires reliable and trustworthy distribution mechanisms that don't presently exist in many corners of the world. If you think the politics around the vaccine are bad here, imagine them in a world where folks want the vaccine but petty officials are the ones making the calls as to who gets to have it based off of, ah, "patronage". I'm sure as hell sick of the performative dumbassery around here, that's for damn sure, but I'll take it a million times over something like that.

That said, I wish COVAX much good fortune, and I sure wouldn't mind if MSF was more involved in administration (they already handle it for other vaccinations as well...)

That's a good point! I definitely do not understand the intricacies in trying to vaccinate the world. It is easy for me to say "vaccinate the world" as I sit at home in front of my computer eating toast lol. That said, all things being equal, I hope that the pharma companies and the wealthy governments at least try to vaccinate as much as the world as possible before focusing on more shots for their own general population.

Reactions: Viqsi

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
There is a large % of folks who will not get the vaccine but I also believe some quantity of those people, probably a decent chunk, could be convinced to do so if certain restrictions were in place that sort of made life inconvenient to not be vaccinated. Want to ride on an airplane? Gotta be vaxxed. Train? Get vaxxed. Want to go to a large gathering like a sport event? Jab time.

Yeah some will just say I don't care because those things don't mean anything to me. I really don't care about getting those people vaxxed to be honest. I care about getting the ones who actually do go into dense public places vaccinated.

It's good to see there are some examples of this already happening. I think requiring it to get on a flight, even domestic flights, would be HUGE. Heck even just requiring a negative test could be huge in terms of annoying frequent travelers enough to finally make them just get the vax.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
In other news up here... apparently the "vaccine lottery" DeWine (and/or his advisors) came up with here in Ohio was not only effective in getting folks vaccinated, it may well have cost an order of magnitude less than the alternative. :amazed:

Ohio’s vaccine lottery saved more than $60m in averted healthcare costs

I like the idea of insurance not covering COVID care, or covering a significantly less percentage of care, compared to vaccinated individuals if they have to seek care from a COVID infection.

I don't know if vaccine requirements will work. It might work in a place like an airport, but the recent lollapalooza event showed how easily one can manipulate the card check. There was no way those checkers could actually check thousands of people entering that event. Plus, the fake vaccine card market is probably steaming hot right now.

Reactions: bdub24 and LCPreds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca