OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Update on Quartermaster from Mrs. Q: Just spoke with the pulmonologist and he thinks its only a matter of a day or so before we have to put him on a ventilator if he doesn't improve...just because he is working so hard and it's exhausting him.

Not great news. Keep them in your thoughts, please, they'd appreciate it.

Drivers license, auto registration, proof of medical and auto insurance, passport, school transcripts, immunization forms when I started school, booster forms from when I began to teach and now my Covid vax form -- all these things are "my papers" and it isn't the third reich because I have to show them. IF I was being asked to show my docs when no one else was, IF the police shot me if they checked and my DL number ended in 1, that's oppressive. Instituted as legal proofs of eligibility and compliance with just laws--I really don't find any of this threatening to my freedom.

EDIT: About 30 minutes after the above update, this:

Michael was trying to tell Tony [Adz--his doc, maybe?] he wanted to try the high-flow cannula again and take the bi-pap off. Tony agreed to try...as soon as the mask was off, Michael (previously unable to communicate this need or take care of it himself), stuck his pinky finger up his nose and pulled out a 2-inch long booger (sorry for the graphics) and he is now breathing much easier with the cannula and his saturation levels are up at 98-99% WITHOUT BI-PAP. He is sitting up and watching television.
This does not take him out of the woods, but it is a nearly miraculous improvement for him within the span of a couple hours.

Much more positive and, knowing QM, makes me laugh.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
One of the couple that sat next to us have had a go with the virus, She got out of hospital and he went in the next day hes having a rough go been in patient for 6 days a couple days ago not heard an update yet there 14 year old son has had it as well but no hospital time for him.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Update on Quartermaster from Mrs. Q: Just spoke with the pulmonologist and he thinks its only a matter of a day or so before we have to put him on a ventilator if he doesn't improve...just because he is working so hard and it's exhausting him.

Not great news. Keep them in your thoughts, please, they'd appreciate it.

Drivers license, auto registration, proof of medical and auto insurance, passport, school transcripts, immunization forms when I started school, booster forms from when I began to teach and now my Covid vax form -- all these things are "my papers" and it isn't the third reich because I have to show them. IF I was being asked to show my docs when no one else was, IF the police shot me if they checked and my DL number ended in 1, that's oppressive. Instituted as legal proofs of eligibility and compliance with just laws--I really don't find any of this threatening to my freedom.

EDIT: About 30 minutes after the above update, this:

Michael was trying to tell Tony [Adz--his doc, maybe?] he wanted to try the high-flow cannula again and take the bi-pap off. Tony agreed to try...as soon as the mask was off, Michael (previously unable to communicate this need or take care of it himself), stuck his pinky finger up his nose and pulled out a 2-inch long booger (sorry for the graphics) and he is now breathing much easier with the cannula and his saturation levels are up at 98-99% WITHOUT BI-PAP. He is sitting up and watching television.
This does not take him out of the woods, but it is a nearly miraculous improvement for him within the span of a couple hours.

Much more positive and, knowing QM, makes me laugh.

Woo hoo!! Let's hear it for ENT!!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
One of the couple that sat next to us have had a go with the virus, She got out of hospital and he went in the next day hes having a rough go been in patient for 6 days a couple days ago not heard an update yet there 14 year old son has had it as well but no hospital time for him.
Hope they're healthy soon.

Reactions: PredsV82

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
The roller coaster continues. I am also glad QM is in the hospital already. Today's update:

Michael has decided with his doctors it’s time to vent, so his body can rest and heal.

He'll be sedated for a couple of days.

Get immunized, people. It's not 100% but the odds are at least better for you.

Reactions: PredsV82

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
And if this doesnt get your attention... thank God QM already is in..

-Well that is untrue. ST Thomas West has ICU beds open. My wife had triple bypass and was in one of those ICU beds and there were only 4 of the 12 beds full and all were heart patients. No idea about the rest of the hospitals

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Hope your wife recovers quickly, Byrd

Some places that do high volume of surgery that they know will need ICU beds will hold beds open and fill them over the course of the day. Andnin this particular case I suspect this is a dedicated surgical ICU and those beds can only go to surgery patients and they wont put COVID patients in there for fear of the surgical patients catching COVID.

The other possibility is the doctor publishing that post use the reported number of ICU patients and the known number of ICU beds and assumed they were equally distributed and all beds were full. But in some hospitals, the recovery room, endoscopy suite, and cardiac cath holding areas are being used as makeshift ICU beds and are counted as ICU patients.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Just a little something for the "I have a right..." folks.

Supreme Court actually ruled on this 116 years ago.

Part of that though is they still have individual rights, you still have the choice to simply not go and support the University. That one was silly to begin with. All Universities require you to be immunized from other things to start with and just like individual businesses they can set their own rules as long as it's not discriminatory in nature.

I don't have a real issue with that, what I have an issue with is the Feds stepping in and saying you basically can't go anywhere without first showing your status.

Edit: Also look at her words very carefully. She chose the word " community " and not " government " for a reason.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well ok I didn't really think these people existed, really just thought it was kind of a boogie man argument. Apparently one of my wife's bosses is a Covid denier and guess who just landed his butt in the hospital with Covid?

What's worse is according to my wife it's mostly being driven by his doctor! He was going to get the vaccine and she talked him out of it because she says it's all fake and made up. Even when he went in to her office she wouldn't even test him, just told him he didn't have Covid.

Even worse still is we found out he refused to stay and left the hospital. My wife gave him an earful about his choice and doctor. If any of you medical professionals have someone we can report her too or notify it would be greatly appreciated. This woman is going to get someone killed if she hasn't already.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Part of that though is they still have individual rights, you still have the choice to simply not go and support the University. That one was silly to begin with. All Universities require you to be immunized from other things to start with and just like individual businesses they can set their own rules as long as it's not discriminatory in nature.

I don't have a real issue with that, what I have an issue with is the Feds stepping in and saying you basically can't go anywhere without first showing your status.

Edit: Also look at her words very carefully. She chose the word " community " and not " government " for a reason.

A "community" from a legal standpoint is whatever entity has the power to invoke regulations. That is done by some sort of mandate ultimately enforced by some societally agreed upon authority. Using "government" as a scare word in this kind of discussion is disingenuous because "the government" can be anything from a town council or school board all the way up to Congress.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Well ok I didn't really think these people existed, really just thought it was kind of a boogie man argument. Apparently one of my wife's bosses is a Covid denier and guess who just landed his butt in the hospital with Covid?

What's worse is according to my wife it's mostly being driven by his doctor! He was going to get the vaccine and she talked him out of it because she says it's all fake and made up. Even when he went in to her office she wouldn't even test him, just told him he didn't have Covid.

Even worse still is we found out he refused to stay and left the hospital. My wife gave him an earful about his choice and doctor. If any of you medical professionals have someone we can report her too or notify it would be greatly appreciated. This woman is going to get someone killed if she hasn't already.

In Kentucky any citizen can report concerns about a physicians professional behavior to the Ky Board of Medical Licensure. I suspect Tennessee is the same, but I would also expect the board to not put much credence in a third party report(ie your wife telling them about her boss's doctor). If her boss reports her for failure to diagnose the COVID that might have some traction. Alas, recommending not to give the vaccination would fall under the broad discretion given to doctors using professional judgement. Especially as long as the vaccine isnt fully FDA approved, the doctor will have plenty of cover for that idiotic advice.

I also forgot to ask what the providers credentials were. If an MD or DO, it probably still goes to the med licensure board, but if it was a nurse practitioner, at least in KY they are still under the purview of the state nursing board. And if it was a chiropracter, well... dont get me started

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
A "community" from a legal standpoint is whatever entity has the power to invoke regulations. That is done by some sort of mandate ultimately enforced by some societally agreed upon authority. Using "government" as a scare word in this kind of discussion is disingenuous because "the government" can be anything from a town council or school board all the way up to Congress.
The Supreme Court chooses its words very carefully because it allows local governments more power without necessarily giving the Federal government more power. If this had been a case involving the actual Federal Government she would have moved it to the entire court.

It's kind of like freedom of speech. Everyone likes to toss it around ( especially on message boards like this ) but the reality is it only protects you from governments doing so. Individuals like this one can pretty much make any rule they want about speech, just as long as it's not based on discrimination.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
In Kentucky any citizen can report concerns about a physicians professional behavior to the Ky Board of Medical Licensure. I suspect Tennessee is the same, but I would also expect the board to not put much credence in a third party report(ie your wife telling them about her boss's doctor). If her boss reports her for failure to diagnose the COVID that might have some traction. Alas, recommending not to give the vaccination would fall under the broad discretion given to doctors using professional judgement. Especially as long as the vaccine isnt fully FDA approved, the doctor will have plenty of cover for that idiotic advice.

I also forgot to ask what the providers credentials were. If an MD or DO, it probably still goes to the med licensure board, but if it was a nurse practitioner, at least in KY they are still under the purview of the state nursing board. And if it was a chiropracter, well... dont get me started
I believe ( although not certain) she is a nurse practioner. I have no issue with one not being sold on the vaccine and giving possible downsides, my doctor and I had that same conversation and I chose to get it. From what I gather his just tells him the whole thing is a hoax, which is a dangerous stance to be taking as a medical professional.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I believe ( although not certain) she is a nurse practioner. I have no issue with one not being sold on the vaccine and giving possible downsides, my doctor and I had that same conversation and I chose to get it. From what I gather his just tells him the whole thing is a hoax, which is a dangerous stance to be taking as a medical professional.

@hockey diva any thoughts on whether a NP might face discipline in TN if this is true?

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The Supreme Court chooses its words very carefully because it allows local governments more power without necessarily giving the Federal government more power. If this had been a case involving the actual Federal Government she would have moved it to the entire court.

It's kind of like freedom of speech. Everyone likes to toss it around ( especially on message boards like this ) but the reality is it only protects you from governments doing so. Individuals like this one can pretty much make any rule they want about speech, just as long as it's not based on discrimination.

Right, we are actually in agreement. I seriously doubt what had been said here before(ie proof of vaccination to go to the grocery store) would arise as a government mandate. But if Kroger decided to make that rule, as a private business, they would have a right to(of course they wont, it would kill their business)

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

NHL requiring all team staff to be vaccinated. Still working on what's going to be required of players.

If they come out with looser requirements for players that's gonna be so stupid. Basically "we know it makes sense and we will require everyone who doesnt make a gazillion dollars to do the sensible thing but we are gonna let our prize assets and moneymakers have some wiggle room to be stupid and risk getting sick"

Hopefully they come out and say "everyone get vaxed" and just leave it at that

Last edited:

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

When Vanderbilt has to turn away transfer requests and limit elective surgeries, the system has failed. This is what we avoided with the much derided "flatten the curve" plan last year.

What so goddamned infuriating is that unlike last year, this year we have an option that would have prevented this. Any of you out there who are still willfully unvaccinated without a legit medical reason, THIS IS YOUR FAULT!

Really sucks because I just referred a patient with a complex tumor to Vandy... hopefully since it's a possible cancer they wont have to wait...

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm really wondering why Vanderbilt didn't start building their overflow like last time. Also gotta wonder if they don't start trying to setup some kind of outflow care in places like Shelbyville which they didn't control during the heat of it last time. Not sure how easily space in these kind of facilites could be converted to an ICU level.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I'm really wondering why Vanderbilt didn't start building their overflow like last time. Also gotta wonder if they don't start trying to setup some kind of outflow care in places like Shelbyville which they didn't control during the heat of it last time. Not sure how easily space in these kind of facilites could be converted to an ICU level.
Probably cause people can just get vaccinated and this isn’t a thing.

At this point, give people that have been vaccinated preferred treatment. Unvaccinated people can get a bed if they are available.

tough shit or whatever they yell about their freedoms.

Reactions: LCPreds

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Probably because there isnt anyone to staff the overflow even if they did have a place for beds.

A good thing but exacerbates the bed situation is we have figured out how to treat this better so people arent dying and emptying beds like they were last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino