COVID-19 Megathread II (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
No, I used the word “imbeciles” in reference to to your comment about imbeciles. You said “But the "muh freedom" imbeciles coupled with the people who are just too lazy to care make it next to impossible.”.

If the “muh freedom” people are spreading the virus, then the “protestor” people are spreading the virus. Just using your adjectives.

trying to twist why I called then imbeciles is pretty indicative of your political affiliation.... the pettiness.. and divisiveness. Not pretty .

Yeah, except I called the "muh freedom" people imbeciles because the have no actual reason for not wearing a mask other than to assert a (misunderstood) "right" to do so. The protestors, at the very least, have a reason to be out and in many cases they are wearing masks and social distancing.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yeah, except I called the "muh freedom" people imbeciles because the have no actual reason for not wearing a mask other than to assert a (misunderstood) "right" to do so. The protestors, at the very least, have a reason to be out and in many cases they are wearing masks and social distancing.
how is it misunderstood?

Seriously. I'm manage a very big, very empty building right now, but we're gearing up to reopen. Mask are required but if someone tells me no, there's not much I can do. I can't ask if they have a disability, I can ask for the reason they won't wear one but they don't have to answer if it's a disability. Disabilities would include anxiety over wearing a mask as well as COPD, asthma, etc.

So when you say the right not to wear one is misunderstood, can you explain more?

I mean I need something more than, "I hate Trump".

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I've been in Cincy and Louisville in the last week. Neither are much different than Murfreesboro as far as mask wearing goes. Cincy actually seemed business as usual. With the exception of the hotel pools being closed.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You guys that blame everything on Trump are f***ing stupid. I hate politics but I really hate hard line party guy that thinks his party is perfect.

I wear a mask when I need too, if I'm outside, or in my car, I don't wear one. If I'm running into Kroger, sometimes I do, sometimes I forget. It has nothing to do with my voting preferences. If that makes me a selfish asshole, then so be it, label me whatever, but what it's not, is some sort of political statement.
I am thinking you should arrange an awareness march. "Selfish assholes who don't support Trump!" Because you're right we do tend to forget those exist, and your voices deserve to be heard too.
:naughty:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
You guys that blame everything on Trump are f***ing stupid. I hate politics but I really hate hard line party guy that thinks his party is perfect.

I wear a mask when I need too, if I'm outside, or in my car, I don't wear one. If I'm running into Kroger, sometimes I do, sometimes I forget. It has nothing to do with my voting preferences. If that makes me a selfish asshole, then so be it, label me whatever, but what it's not, is some sort of political statement.
It's not political on a personal level. But there is no debating that a subset of the country is actively resisting masks and social distancing(as opposed to people who occasionally forget). And my experience has been that almost all of those folks are of the same political persuasion.

Reactions: lstcyr and bdub24

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

I mean, he’s only the President. who would follow his example? Also, nothing is his responsibility in the response to this because again, the office of the Presidency is only the highest office in the free world. You're spot on there. Trump shouldnt shoulder any of this blame for the failure of our societal response. God knows we wouldnt have been losing our minds if Obama let ...lemme see here... lose 13k people to Swine Flu.

Reactions: lstcyr

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It's not political on a personal level. But there is no debating that a subset of the country is actively resisting masks and social distancing(as opposed to people who occasionally forget). And my experience has been that almost all of those folks are of the same political persuasion.
Most of my encounters are at the ballparks, where understandably, very few if any mask are being worn, but it's never political there, it's just damn hot and we're outside anyway.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
how is it misunderstood?

Seriously. I'm manage a very big, very empty building right now, but we're gearing up to reopen. Mask are required but if someone tells me no, there's not much I can do. I can't ask if they have a disability, I can ask for the reason they won't wear one but they don't have to answer if it's a disability. Disabilities would include anxiety over wearing a mask as well as COPD, asthma, etc.

So when you say the right not to wear one is misunderstood, can you explain more?

I mean I need something more than, "I hate Trump".

Sure. There are people who I have heard espouse the belief that it is their "constitutional right" not to wear a mask. What they misunderstand is that "right" doesn't mean they can go anywhere and everywhere without a mask. That "right" goes away on someone else's private property. A business absolutely has a legal right to deny you entry if you refuse to wear a mask if they deem it to be necessary. You will not be allowed entry into my office building(or any building in our organization where patient care happens) without a mask. That's what I mean about the "right" to go maskless being misunderstood

And the ADA thing is bullshit. That has been making the rounds on the internet but it has no basis in law. Much the same as I've had a few idiots try to tell me they are allowed to bring their pet dogs with them for "emotional support". Again bullshit. If the animal isnt wearing the appropriate certification vest showing that it is a trained medical support animal, then it's just a pet and cant come in.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I mean, he’s only the President. who would follow his example? Also, nothing is his responsibility in the response to this because again, the office of the Presidency is only the highest office in the free world. You're spot on there. Trump shouldnt shoulder any of this blame for the failure of our societal response. God knows we wouldnt have been losing our minds if Obama let ...lemme see here... lose 13k people to Swine Flu.
If you're looking for role models in Washington, you're doing it all wrong. No, the President nor any politician in Washington is influencing my decision.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Sure. There are people who I have heard espouse the belief that it is their "constitutional right" not to wear a mask. What they misunderstand is that "right" doesn't mean they can go anywhere and everywhere without a mask. That "right" goes away on someone else's private property. A business absolutely has a legal right to deny you entry if you refuse to wear a mask if they deem it to be necessary. You will not be allowed entry into my office building(or any building in our organization where patient care happens) without a mask. That's what I mean about the "right" to go massless being misunderstood
So my neighbor who's child has a disorder that makes him unable wearing a mask, you would deny him entry? That seems like a lawsuit to me.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Sure. There are people who I have heard espouse the belief that it is their "constitutional right" not to wear a mask. What they misunderstand is that "right" doesn't mean they can go anywhere and everywhere without a mask. That "right" goes away on someone else's private property. A business absolutely has a legal right to deny you entry if you refuse to wear a mask if they deem it to be necessary. You will not be allowed entry into my office building(or any building in our organization where patient care happens) without a mask. That's what I mean about the "right" to go maskless being misunderstood

And the ADA thing is bullshit. That has been making the rounds on the internet but it has no basis in law
what ada thing?

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
If you're looking for role models in Washington, you're doing it all wrong. No, the President nor any politician in Washington is influencing my decision.
No, I’m choosing to listen to medical experts since this is a medical issue. But lots of folks look to their political leaders for guidance and it seems the tribalism in this regard is getting more and more pronounced unfortunately. My mom (turning 80) literally quoted all the gobbledygook hits like ‘only more cases because of more testing’ ‘vaccine is coming soon’ ‘masks make me look ridiculous’. Easy to dismiss with a backhanded they arent role models, but in fact, they are. We elect them to represent us and our best collective interests. Lazy argument is lazy.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Most of my encounters are at the ballparks, where understandably, very few if any mask are being worn, but it's never political there, it's just damn hot and we're outside anyway.

I have a lot less of an issue if its outdoors although at a ballpark if you arent wearing a mask you should at least try for some distancing

Reactions: bdub24

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So my neighbor who's child has a disorder that makes him unable wearing a mask, you would deny him entry? That seems like a lawsuit to me.

No. There are legitimate exceptions made. Children under age 6, and mental disability being the most common. I'm talking about an otherwise healthy mentally competent adult who wants to come in and tried to assert a "right" not to wear a mask. They will be turned away.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
No, I’m choosing to listen to medical experts since this is a medical issue. But lots of folks look to their political leaders for guidance and it seems the tribalism in this regard is getting more and more pronounced unfortunately. My mom (turning 80) literally quoted all the gobbledygook hits like ‘only more cases because of more testing’ ‘vaccine is coming soon’ ‘masks make me look ridiculous’. Easy to dismiss with a backhanded they arent role models, but in fact, they are. We elect them to represent us and our best collective interests. Lazy argument is lazy.
I haven't seen anyone in Washington represent me or most common people in a long time. I'll teach my son not to look at dumb-asses like Trump, Pelosi or Biden as role models, you keep dismissing it as a lazy argument, we're good. I'm not looking for your approval anyway.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
what ada thing?

People who claim they have a "disability" that makes them unable to wear a mask. There are sites printing up bogus but official looking cards claiming the ADA allows them to not wear a mask and forbids others from questioning it, allegedly under the guise of the Americans with Disabilities Act

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
No. There are legitimate exceptions made. Children under age 6, and mental disability being the most common. I'm talking about an otherwise healthy mentally competent adult who wants to come in and tried to assert a "right" not to wear a mask. They will be turned away.
So, if someone tells me the mask triggers their claustrophobia or whatever anxiety, should I still require them to wear a mask? I mean of course if our HR directors had not already told me I can't ask why....

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I have a lot less of an issue if its outdoors although at a ballpark if you arent wearing a mask you should at least try for some distancing
I do, mainly because I do the stats, I'm there to watch my kid play, not hang out with a bunch of dads (we do that after anyway). Most tend to stay within their family groups that I've noticed.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So before the lawyers get involved, you are probably going to have to provide more details. What exactly is the disorder? Are there alternate forms of PPE which may be suitable for someone with this particular type of disorder? People won't get a free pass just based on saying that they think they should.

I'm almost certain your neighbor's child wouldn't be allowed into my lab regardless of those things, because obviously he has no reason to be there. But let's say for argument's sake he was an adult child and employee... he still wouldn't be allowed in. He would probably be re-assigned other tasks which he could perform while working from home instead.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Due to a glitch in the system there was not a TDoH report on Sunday. They report 2125 new cases so assume 1000 per day. So 3 of the last 4 days have over 1000 new cases. First time that's happened. 4263 new cases in 4 days.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So, if someone tells me the mask triggers their claustrophobia or whatever anxiety, should I still require them to wear a mask? I mean of course if our HR directors had not already told me I can't ask why....
No, you can't require them to wear a mask. But you still don't allow them in either. They will have to find a way to work from home or take a medical leave.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
So before the lawyers get involved, you are probably going to have to provide more details. What exactly is the disorder? Are there alternate forms of PPE which may be suitable for someone with this particular type of disorder? People won't get a free pass just based on saying that they think they should.

I'm almost certain your neighbor's child wouldn't be allowed into my lab regardless of those things, because obviously he has no reason to be there. But let's say for argument's sake he was an adult child and employee... he still wouldn't be allowed in. He would probably be re-assigned other tasks which he could perform while working from home instead.
I think he has Asperger but I'm not positive. Seems super smart but very awkward, quirky.

As far as my building goes, we require people to wear a mask if they're away from their desk, at their desk, they're socially distant anyway but there's nothing I can actually do if they refuse, notify HR, and that's it for me.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

That's entirely up to you and your company. But that wouldnt get you in the door at my place

Reactions: lstcyr and bdub24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad