COVID-19 Megathread II (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Or be smart enough to understand that we've been doing the same thing since March, 6 days a week, and management hasn't had an issue with it. There are 8 -10 of us for a building the size of a Kroger, I think we are gonna be fine.
Yeah, I think so. Ha!

Just watch those breaks! No breaking off pieces of doughnuts to share--get your own and eat the WHOLE thing.
Because at this point, why not?

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah, I think so. Ha!

Just watch those breaks! No breaking off pieces of doughnuts to share--get your own and eat the WHOLE thing.
Because at this point, why not?
Yeah we don't have set breaks so it's pretty rare to be in the breakroom with anyone. Occasionally there will be but even then the tables are separated.

I don't share food, you'll come back with a nub if you try and get my donut :p

Reactions: PredsV82 and Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Yeah we don't have set breaks so it's pretty rare to be in the breakroom with anyone. Occasionally there will be but even then the tables are separated.

I don't share food, you'll come back with a nub if you try and get my donut :p
That's more of a caution for people like me. Conscientious coworker decides that a whole doughnut is just too much so she breaks off a fourth of one. Well, pre-Covid I'm not going to let that 3/4 go to waste...I'd let it go to waist along with the one I'd already taken. I can do without doughnuts as long as they aren't around but if they are, I'm eating the crumbs, too. But now...sigh. Thank goodness I'm working from home away from our Shipley's addict.

We don't have set breaks either, but I figured you'd have them in a factory environment. When I worked at the pencil factory we'd have 2 15 minute breaks and they were not staggered. A buzzer would sound, the place shut down and everyone piled in the break room for their soda/snack machine fare or headed to the bathroom. You could not leave your post except at breaks, lunch and true emergencies. So at break time there was much mingling.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
........... When I worked at the pencil factory we'd have 2 15 minute breaks and they were not staggered. A buzzer would sound, the place shut down and everyone piled in the break room for their soda/snack machine fare or headed to the bathroom. You could not leave your post except at breaks, lunch and true emergencies. So at break time there was much mingling.

I figured in a pencil factory you would work in groups. #1, #2 and the hardest to get into is #3.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That's more of a caution for people like me. Conscientious coworker decides that a whole doughnut is just too much so she breaks off a fourth of one. Well, pre-Covid I'm not going to let that 3/4 go to waste...I'd let it go to waist along with the one I'd already taken. I can do without doughnuts as long as they aren't around but if they are, I'm eating the crumbs, too. But now...sigh. Thank goodness I'm working from home away from our Shipley's addict.

We don't have set breaks either, but I figured you'd have them in a factory environment. When I worked at the pencil factory we'd have 2 15 minute breaks and they were not staggered. A buzzer would sound, the place shut down and everyone piled in the break room for their soda/snack machine fare or headed to the bathroom. You could not leave your post except at breaks, lunch and true emergencies. So at break time there was much mingling.
Nah with printing the press and flow of work dictates things. Generally they time out within a given hour but not always. I don't like to stop if its running smooth.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Another new record for Tennessee. Since there was a combination of data on 6/28 - 29 I averaged the 2 days.

upload_2020-7-1_16-21-9.png

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I figured in a pencil factory you would work in groups. #1, #2 and the hardest to get into is #3.
Ha ha! Seriously, I never heard that joke before and it's great.
If most seniority/difficulty = Group 8H then I was probably 6B. Pretty soft. I put 12 pencils into boxes then boxed them in grosses for hours on end, then moved up to blister packs. No A/C, filthy, and the hours were long but I loved that job.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I was referring to Sunday when no data was released. They may have changed the reporting. Maybe V 82 knows
I know they changed it a few weeks ago to include " probable cases " but not sure if they have modified it since then.

Something that made me scratch my brain the other day, if you have multiple tests and test positive are they making sure that it is just reported as one case or are they just tossing any positive into the pile?

Also talked to my doctor on Tuesday about all of this and she said that most Pediatricians have signed off saying kids needed to go back to school this fall.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Scientists Warn CDC Testing Data Could Create Misleading Picture Of Pandemic

I don't know what to believe.

We hear "trust the scientist" but they seem to change their mind often as well. I mean first don't wear mask, they don't work, now, everyone needs a mask or we will never stop this freight train. Even with that, when I question that I have friends that are like "well, they lied to keep everyone from going into a panic and buying all the mask". This just in, that's not okay, don't lie to me and then justify it later, just don't lie to me. My grandfather would say "dont' piss on my leg and tell me it's raining"

At the end of the day, what I've figured out about our country, right now, is that personal responsibility no longer exist. If the sick people would actually stay home (DL Hughley, I'm looking at you, and don't tell me he didn't know, he knew he wasn't feeling well, and that's all you need to know right now) then maybe we have a chance. I don't know if asymptomatic people spread it or not, WHO says it's rare, Fauci says they're wrong, or maybe they're right but the pre-symptomatics or people with very mild symptoms spread it. Who knows.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Scientists Warn CDC Testing Data Could Create Misleading Picture Of Pandemic

I don't know what to believe.

We hear "trust the scientist" but they seem to change their mind often as well. I mean first don't wear mask, they don't work, now, everyone needs a mask or we will never stop this freight train. Even with that, when I question that I have friends that are like "well, they lied to keep everyone from going into a panic and buying all the mask". This just in, that's not okay, don't lie to me and then justify it later, just don't lie to me. My grandfather would say "dont' piss on my leg and tell me it's raining"

At the end of the day, what I've figured out about our country, right now, is that personal responsibility no longer exist. If the sick people would actually stay home (DL Hughley, I'm looking at you, and don't tell me he didn't know, he knew he wasn't feeling well, and that's all you need to know right now) then maybe we have a chance. I don't know if asymptomatic people spread it or not, WHO says it's rare, Fauci says they're wrong, or maybe they're right but the pre-symptomatics or people with very mild symptoms spread it. Who knows.

How in the world are we this far in and don't have a standard reporting practice across all states?

Secondly if they are adding in antibody tests, aren't those fairly inaccurate or did they get that issue solved?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
How in the world are we this far in and don't have a standard reporting practice across all states?

Secondly if they are adding in antibody tests, aren't those fairly inaccurate or did they get that issue solved?
I'm a facilities manager, I cannot answer these things. Seems to me, we're winging it....

I do think in Tennessee they only use the PCR results, but if you get a 2nd opinion, and test postitive again, you are listed as 2 positive tests. That's what my health department friend said anyway.

czechczech

Dec 10, 2014
I recommend caution with Medium articles. Anyone can post there without review. And I suggest you check out the author, Joshua Ketter, on LinkedIn. He claims to have been a Asst Project Mgr at a NJ based construction company and a Finance/Operation Mgr at an OK CPA firm all while going to Oral Roberts to obtain a finance degree. He did obtain a CPA license in OK, but it was revoked in 2018. I had some great co-op and summer jobs during college, but none that good.

I try to stick to John Hopkins, NEJM and JAMA for Covid-19 related articles.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I agree with the numbers being confusing, there hasn't been anything consistent and the total number of cases is basically useless.

As for masks, everyone credible has said to wear one the whole time. I hate the political aspect of it, but it seems like only right-wing sources or people who get their news from fringe sources are the ones who were saying not to wear one. There are people, even in the first version of this thread I believe that had some idea that you needed to wear gloves rather than a mask. That never made sense even if you only have a basic understanding of how diseases are transmitted.

I also don't know why there was ever an N95 vs Surgical mask issue because there are multiple studies from as recent as 2019 even before all of this started that state that there is no effective difference in disease transmission between the two. I think if anything maybe some of the early conflicting stories were an attempt to keep people from hoarding masks, but that turned out to be a poor strategy.

There was just a "Ferrier Files" story on this two days ago and it's not on the Fox17 website yet. In which a vandy doctor says many of these same things. Wear a mask, they are highly effective. And that he wishes that masks, masks, masks had been hammered into everyone from day one.

They note that in every country where the virus was handles effectively, mask wearing was mandatory and citizens complied at a high level. That masks are 70% effective in stopping transmission (doesn't sound incredibly high, but it's actually very high). That an uncovered cough projects the virus in droplets up to 8 feet, that single layer face mask such as a bandana will reduce that to something like 1-2 feet and a double layer cloth masks reduces it to just 2-3 inches.

He concludes by saying that there are multiple studies that confirm this, that there is a mountain of evidence that masks reduce disease transmission and that the only evidence the non-mask side has is the early mixed messages.

Anyway, as soon as the story is available (the latest upload is from four days ago) I'll post it here.

Until then, here's a great summary that references some of the studies I mentioned:

N95 Masks vs. Surgical Masks: Which Is Better at Preventing The Coronavirus? - Smart Air

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I recommend caution with Medium articles. Anyone can post there without review. And I suggest you check out the author, Joshua Ketter, on LinkedIn. He claims to have been a Asst Project Mgr at a NJ based construction company and a Finance/Operation Mgr at an OK CPA firm all while going to Oral Roberts to obtain a finance degree. He did obtain a CPA license in OK, but it was revoked in 2018. I had some great co-op and summer jobs during college, but none that good.

I try to stick to John Hopkins, NEJM and JAMA for Covid-19 related articles.
The article uses a lot of references, including the one from NPR, which I linked too.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I never heard "don't wear a mask" though I did hear don't wear the N-95's unless you're immuno-compromised because health providers need them and that the masks were mainly for the protection of others in the event you were a nonsymptomatic carrier. All along I've read/seen that if you and others properly wore a mask of any kind then collectively you were minimizing the overall risk by shielding your particulate (breath, spit, whatever) from the other person.

Glove use seemed to be pushed aside fairly quickly for the general public. I think those monitoring such things realized fairly early that touching grocery items wasn't the risk they initially thought and that peoples' habit of throwing used gloves on the ground and in their cart was causing a bigger problem to others than touching a cantaloupe was to them. Wash it and your hands. You're good.

My sister got tested and it came back negative. Yay! I thought what she had was "allergies" and looked like I was right. She's not used to Tennessee pollens yet.

Reactions: bdub24

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
everyone should wear a mask at this point. everyone! you're just being ignorant at this point.

this is only a thing because trump is the president and everything is politicized to the maximum. i really cannot wait till biden wins in november.

i also believe at this point though if business cannot operate as normal then protests should not be allowed either. it's a public health issue at this point.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I never heard "don't wear a mask" though I did hear don't wear the N-95's unless you're immuno-compromised because health providers need them and that the masks were mainly for the protection of others in the event you were a nonsymptomatic carrier. All along I've read/seen that if you and others properly wore a mask of any kind then collectively you were minimizing the overall risk by shielding your particulate (breath, spit, whatever) from the other person.

Glove use seemed to be pushed aside fairly quickly for the general public. I think those monitoring such things realized fairly early that touching grocery items wasn't the risk they initially thought and that peoples' habit of throwing used gloves on the ground and in their cart was causing a bigger problem to others than touching a cantaloupe was to them. Wash it and your hands. You're good.

My sister got tested and it came back negative. Yay! I thought what she had was "allergies" and looked like I was right. She's not used to Tennessee pollens yet.
I'm pretty sure I heard mainstream and WHO advice early on to not wear a mask. But in the early days, I think there was mostly a fear of hand-borne/contact transmission, and the threat of asymptomatic carriers and spreaders was not at all understood. It's crazy that people have jumped to the conclusion that anybody was "lying" or trying to politicize that message at all, however. The parameters of the virus were simply not originally known well enough. At first, there was the expressed concern that you were more likely to CATCH the virus from surface contacts by touching your own face while messing around with your mask. And then there was the Homer Simpson doh! moment when it was realized that, whups, the real danger is people SPREADING the virus to others through aerosol, and that indeed, yes, wearing a mask was actually very very important.

They aren't conflicting messages at all, they just reflect the evolving understanding of the virus. It's bizarre to me that people seem to latch on to the different messages in a conspiratorial fashion. But I definitely did notice that there were two different messages. Both valid in the context from which they originated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad