Injury Report: Couture

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Kwon Alexander and JJ Watt were supposed to miss 6 months with torn pec muscles and both will have played games after missing 2 months and a week. Hopefully Logan has some of that Superman dna, too.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I like Couture taking full responsibility for the play despite there being a missed interference minor. He's right that he should have expected something like that to happen. Blues aren't a team that passes up any chance for contact, legal or otherwise.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Couture - Level of disappointment high: Especially because we're playing better. We're playing more of a "style" that can win games.

Hm.......

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
Just put him on IR for the rest of the season to save cap space and maybe take a 1 year cap dump to increase trade value. Season is done anyways

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
San Jose Sharks - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
San Jose Sharks Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Cap space (as of "today" per capfriendly) has $4,662,106 unused (below cap). If they continue to accumulate cap space at today's rate, they'll have an estimated $8,158,685 in cap space as of the trade deadline.

Before any recalls for Monday's game, the Sharks have 11F, 7D and 2G on the roster. Teams are required to AT LEAST 18 skaters and 2 goalies on the active roster (for cap purposes). So they are at the minimum.

When Middleton was out, he was on LTIR, so if you go to the cap chart, you can see that the Sharks were above the cap max (and could exceed it by his salary). But on those days they were over, they were banking $0 in cap space.

Sharks have Prout on IR. His cap his is counting against the cap. (If he was on the active roster, the Sharks could have sent down one more guy as he'd count towards the 18 minimum. But as he's on the IR, the Sharks have to have a guy on the active roster to make the minimum 18.)

By having Couture on the active roster, the Sharks don't have to have another skater on the active roster using cap space to make the minimum 18. If they put him on IR, they'd have to call up a body to make the 18 skater minimum (and NHL salary minimum is more than $600k or $3k+/day in salary; based on last year's average salary of $1.2m, that's more than $6k/day)

For every day below the $81.5m cap limit, the team accumulates those $$s (now up to more than $4.6m).

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Hypothetical question: Does anyone think Boston would trade their 2020 1st to dump Backes at the deadline? He has one year left on his contract with a $6m cap hit. According to cap friendly, a buyout would count $4m towards next years cap and $1m the year after. Obviously, cap space is at a premium for the Sharks, but it might be worth it to add a 1st. I would also ask Boston to take Sorensen back, so then it would only be $2.5m in dead space next year.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Hypothetical question: Does anyone think Boston would trade their 2020 1st to dump Backes at the deadline? He has one year left on his contract with a $6m cap hit. According to cap friendly, a buyout would count $4m towards next years cap and $1m the year after. Obviously, cap space is at a premium for the Sharks, but it might be worth it to add a 1st. I would also ask Boston to take Sorensen back, so then it would only be $2.5m in dead space next year.
It's great idea but I doubt it's a first and I bet they want no part of Sorenson. Probably want Milker before Sorenson. I'm not sure Sorenson is worth much at all in a trade. He should have learned to kill penalties like Milker. He's not fast, he's not great defensively, he doesn't hit, he doesn't score... Not sure why he keeps getting into games at the NHL level. I think if they can't trade him they should send him to the AHL and let someone like Bergmann have his spot for the rest of the season.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I doubt they would give us a 1st.

It's great idea but I doubt it's a first and I bet they want no part of Sorenson. Probably want Milker before Sorenson. I'm not sure Sorenson is worth much at all in a trade. He should have learned to kill penalties like Milker. He's not fast, he's not great defensively, he doesn't hit, he doesn't score... Not sure why he keeps getting into games at the NHL level. I think if they can't trade him they should send him to the AHL and let someone like Bergmann have his spot for the rest of the season.

Remove Sorensen from the equation then. Carolina got a 1st for taking on Marleau’s last year. This scenario would be Backes’ last year + the remaining part of this year. That would allow Boston more flexibility at the deadline to add, and in the offseason when dealing with resigning Krug, DeBrusk, Halak, and potentially Chara.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Remove Sorensen from the equation then. Carolina got a 1st for taking on Marleau’s last year. This scenario would be Backes’ last year + the remaining part of this year. That would allow Boston more flexibility at the deadline to add, and in the offseason when dealing with resigning Krug, DeBrusk, Halak, and potentially Chara.

They may be more willing to buy him out than pay a 1st to get rid of him. I don't know. It may be feasible but I think the Sharks best bet to get into the first round is to rent Dillon for a 2nd and some change then trade the two 2nd rounders they'd have to get into the 1st.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe it's worth it to them? I dunno. Toronto was completely screwed and had to move Patty and everyone knew it so they had to pay a premium. Just not sure if Boston is in quite the same desperate situation at the moment.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Couture - Level of disappointment high: Especially because we're playing better. We're playing more of a "style" that can win games.

Hm.......

Wilson force feeding Couture with kool aid. But, Couture being a good captain and chugging it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad