Injury Report: Couture

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Big crash into end boards, knee (cap) struck hard.

Hand under equipment to knee. Not putting any weight on it as he went to the room.

No (official) notification on severity (yet).

On radio, Baker suspects knee cap injury moreso than ligaments.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
For what it’s worth, Pang is between the benches on the Blues feed and he was adamant it seemed like it wasn’t a typical injury like ACL or anything, but that it seemed like Couture was bleeding like he had a serious cut to his leg.

Not that that isn’t terrifying, but maybe not a season ender. Again this is 100% Pang speculation.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
For what it’s worth, Pang is between the benches on the Blues feed and he was adamant it seemed like it wasn’t a typical injury like ACL or anything, but that it seemed like Couture was bleeding like he had a serious cut to his leg.

Not that that isn’t terrifying, but maybe not a season ender. Again this is 100% Pang speculation.

Mechanism isn't too common for ACL injuries, but a patellar fracture would essentially be season ending too.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
His glove couldn't have come off any faster and flew the distance it did. Hope it's not serious but I have a feeling it is. Hertl was legit concerned skating with him back to the bench.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
All those years where the team was mostly healthy. Now karma is coming back hard...:( Need to start calling Couture Crash Test Dummy.

Is a patellar fracture gonna cause issues in the future? Or is he gonna be 100% once he's recovered?
No, he should recover 100% from a knee cap fracture as long as the articular cartilage isn't damaged. If he tore that up it's the beginning of the end of his career. It's what ended Yzermans career, it's what I did to my knee. It's awful. Lets hope that it's just a cracked bone. That impact looked bad though. For anyone who plays, do whatever you can to avoid going knee first into the boards even if it puts something else at risk. I'd rather break an ankle than damage the knee joint.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
A smack to the front can also be a pcl but that's pretty doubtful with the shin pads

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
X-Rays rarely show any ligament damage. I imagine an MRI tonight or tomorrow will provide a diagnosis.

Not gonna happen tonight. Guys are going to head to their homes for the first time this month/year/decade. (See Mrs Vlasic's IG post)

Might not happen tomorrow if there's significant swelling from injury.

Reactions: Anomie2029

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
X-Rays rarely show any ligament damage. I imagine an MRI tonight or tomorrow will provide a diagnosis.
x-rays can't really see soft tissue so they pretty much never show ligament damage unless it's obvious because a bone is displaced. Takes an MRI and even then it's not always certain. an arthroscope leaves no doubt though and that's typically 2 weeks rehab if nothing needs repaired.
Might not happen tomorrow if there's significant swelling from injury.
Yeah swelling makes it very difficult to see what's going on. Lets hope the swelling is minimal. When I damaged my knee cap the knee joint swole up like a cantaloupe. Super obvious it was f***ed.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah swelling makes it very difficult to see what's going on. Lets hope the swelling is minimal. When I damaged my knee cap the knee joint swole up like a cantaloupe. Super obvious it was ****ed.

I displaced my patella and tore the patellofemoral ligament and couldn't get the MRI until about a week and a half later because of swelling and needing to book the MRI in.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I displaced my patella and tore the patellofemoral ligament and couldn't get the MRI until about a week and a half later because of swelling and needing to book the MRI in.
Yeah that's around the same time I had to wait when I injured my knee. When I finally got it done it was partially torn ACL, MCL, miniscus damage and articular cartilage damage. Doctor said I would have needed ligament reconstruction of they weren't naturally so elastic. When he tested my good knee he thought it felt blown out too because there was so much movement.:eek:

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
The way Logan grabbed for his knee, this is exactly what I pictured:

dislocated-patella-presentation.jpg

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
So they said he's in a walking boot. You don't use one with a knee injury. Might not be as bad as it looked unless he broke his ankle or lower leg. I choose optimism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad