Injury Report: Couture

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Good news about this is he can't cause any more issues in the locker room by calling out every little mistake made by other players to the media.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Good news about this is he can't cause any more issues in the locker room by calling out every little mistake made by other players to the media.

He can still get in front of a mic if he wants. Weird that it's an ankle injury given he was grabbing his knee. However, if it's a season-ender, that gives Wilson the flexibility to trade for forwards with 8 mil in LTIR space on top of roughly 4-4.5 mil in deadline cap space by then and whatever contracts he would move at that point like Dillon's 3.2 or Karlsson's 2 or Sorensen's 1.5. That's a lot of flexibility if they choose to shore things up and take a run for the playoffs. If he doesn't do that, then he needs to rent out the expiring contracts...all of them including Thornton and Marleau.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He can still get in front of a mic if he wants. Weird that it's an ankle injury given he was grabbing his knee. However, if it's a season-ender, that gives Wilson the flexibility to trade for forwards with 8 mil in LTIR space on top of roughly 4-4.5 mil in deadline cap space by then and whatever contracts he would move at that point like Dillon's 3.2 or Karlsson's 2 or Sorensen's 1.5. That's a lot of flexibility if they choose to shore things up and take a run for the playoffs. If he doesn't do that, then he needs to rent out the expiring contracts...all of them including Thornton and Marleau.
He'll be in the broadcasting booth calling them out live. I would guess that his knee was in contact with the board, and his skate was still contacting the ice and there was some buckling somewhere in between that. I'm expecting him to be out for about 2 months if we assume a break is usually 6ish weeks recovery and a week or two of conditioning, so we'll likely see him some time in March. I'm not sure how the cap stuff will work out by then but it definitely gives DW room to work with for this season.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Good thing we can now tank to get a higher 1st rounder! Of wait, we traded it to Ottawa...Trade everyone and let me play with the Cuda kids.

Reactions: Pinto22

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Yeah in 6 weeks they will be 20 points outta a WC spot

And Doug Wilson will use this seasons injury history as an excuse to miss the playoff.

“Obviously December did not go how we had hoped. But after the coaching, once our team had gotten adjusted, we had 7 out of 8 points after the new year. It’s unfortunate that we were derailed by injuries right when we had started climbing in the standings. We were 4 games out of a playoff spot, without having ever played 2 of the 4 playoff teams in our division. I thought, the players thought, that we had a real chance to succeed. I know everyone felt we were turning around and expected to make the playoffs.”

I speak executive.

Reactions: matt trick and Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He'll be in the broadcasting booth calling them out live. I would guess that his knee was in contact with the board, and his skate was still contacting the ice and there was some buckling somewhere in between that. I'm expecting him to be out for about 2 months if we assume a break is usually 6ish weeks recovery and a week or two of conditioning, so we'll likely see him some time in March. I'm not sure how the cap stuff will work out by then but it definitely gives DW room to work with for this season.

If he misses 8 weeks then that put March 5th against the Wild as the target return game. They'd need about 1.4 mil in space to be able to activate him for the rest of the season. If they wait until the playoffs to activate him then it doesn't matter. If they go that route, they'd probably only bring in one winger to try and help them out which I don't think will suffice especially in the interim that he will be missing games.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

If DW trades away more futures for the extremely slim chance of making playoffs, he should be immediately removed from his position, hung by his legs from the roof of SAP center, and used as a pinata.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If DW trades away more futures for the extremely slim chance of making playoffs, he should be immediately removed from his position, hung by his legs from the roof of SAP center, and used as a pinata.

Depends on what's being sent out. Personally, I don't care if he sends out say Jeremy Roy or Maxim Letunov or Jonathan Dahlen to make that push. Not every future needs to be kept because they aren't likely to make it or just aren't worth keeping around. If you can get Smith or Toffoli for one of those three guys and a 3rd round pick or some other combination of non-1st and non-2nd round picks plus really any of our prospects that aren't Merkley, Chekhovich, Chmelevski, Blichfeld, Gregor, Bergmann, or Kniazev. Everyone else should be on the table if you're going to make a push because everyone else still has very long odds to make it or be something of worth.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Depends on what's being sent out. Personally, I don't care if he sends out say Jeremy Roy or Maxim Letunov or Jonathan Dahlen to make that push. Not every future needs to be kept because they aren't likely to make it or just aren't worth keeping around.

But you're not going to get any value from those players to make any significant moves. Between prospects and draft picks, the cabinet is pretty damn bare. The last thing the Sharks need is to be moving out draft picks for the hope of making playoffs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But you're not going to get any value from those players to make any significant moves. Between prospects and draft picks, the cabinet is pretty damn bare. The last thing the Sharks need is to be moving out draft picks for the hope of making playoffs.

That doesn't mean that what we have is worth holding on to just because we don't have much. If another team is willing to rent us a middle six forward for something that isn't a 2nd or better or one of the better prospects we have, take it. You keep the important ones, of which we really have seven maybe eight, and let the others go. If another team values Gambrell because he has some NHL experience and we can get Toffoli for him and Philly's 3rd, I'm taking that deal.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
That doesn't mean that what we have is worth holding on to just because we don't have much. If another team is willing to rent us a middle six forward for something that isn't a 2nd or better or one of the better prospects we have, take it. You keep the important ones, of which we really have seven maybe eight, and let the others go. If another team values Gambrell because he has some NHL experience and we can get Toffoli for him and Philly's 3rd, I'm taking that deal.

But that's not a realistic trade offer. If LA offers that, then sure go for it.

The fact is any decent middle six forward does not go for a 3rd or higher round. We don't have great assets, and we won't get any value back for them. The sharks would be better of hoarding picks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But that's not a realistic trade offer. If LA offers that, then sure go for it.

The fact is any decent middle six forward does not go for a 3rd or higher round. We don't have great assets, and we won't get any value back for them. The sharks would be better of hoarding picks.

Kane for O'Regan and a 2nd to rent Kane wasn't a realistic trade offer either. Things are pretty fluid when it comes to rental value come deadline. You'll get some overpays but you'll get some steals too.

Hoarding picks only means something if you can actually execute them. This team has been whiffing on drafts for a while now. I mean, they really only have Kevin Labanc as a meaningful draft pick of theirs from 2014 on their roster now when it comes to later rounds. Keep your 1st and 2nds but everything else can stay or go. They don't mean anything really to this team anymore because they suck at drafting in that capacity like most everyone else.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad