Country with the best footballing future

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As I said, talent isn't everything. But I can't see an area where Germany is better than France. Maybe goaltending if Areola busts and Lafont doesn't progress which is a long shot.
France is clearly better up front and in cental D. Germany's impressive in midfield, but I can't see France being weaker.

I'm not saying France will win more than Germany because talents have to mesh and coaching is important. But if you only compare talent wise, I don't see how you can say Germany is more versatile or better talent distribution.

France's depth is completely crazy. You didn't even include guys like Zouma, Gnagnon, Harit, Blas, Edouard, Didillon, Maisonnial, Touré, Sidibé, Nkunku, Ikone, etc...

EDIT : Seri is 25, Cyprien is 22....

Like DM said, I didn't include all the German players, nor all the players from any country. I don't have that good of a memory that I can remember every player. :laugh:

But in central defense, Germany has Sule, Tah, Stark, Kehrer, and then even someone like Ginter who fans malign is still only 23, and would be very good for most clubs, just not yet as a main player for a big club. Beyond that, I don't really know that many of the big name younger players who aren't yet playing first team football, just the ones that get a lot of attention. That goes for all these countries. I was just making the poll, and then others will debate. That list isn't gospel.

You tell me though, does France have better full-back depth than Weiser, Henrichs, Passlack, Klostermann, Gerhardt, not to mention Kimmich can play right-back or even center-back?

And then in central midfield, does France have more depth than Weigl, Kimmich, Can, Goretzka, Havertz, Dahoud, Geis, Arnold? I don't think so.

I think France is looking like they will have more attacking super-stars, but Germany will be pretty similar to what they are right now. Its very close, but I usually will give the advantage to the team that I think has better goalkeeping, defense, depth in defensive positions. Its kind of like what a Juventus vs. Real Madrid Champions League final would look like. :laugh:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Laporte, Umtiti, Zouma, Lucas Hernandez, Sarr, Kimpembe, Gagnon, Diop... Pretty crazy depth at CB IMO. Already a lot of experience too for some of these.

Tah and Süle are the only two who have established themselves for a good team the way Laporte or Umtiti have. Still a lot of really good prospects on Germany's various youth teams.. Baumgartl, Ayhan, Kehrer, and Patrik Fritsch are my favorites. I'm sure cgf could tell you more. Their future is very bright at CB as well imo.

even someone like Ginter who fans malign is still only 23, and would be very good for most clubs, just not yet as a main player for a big club. Beyond that, I don't really know that many of the big name younger players who aren't yet playing first team football, just the ones that get a lot of attention. That goes for all these countries. I was just making the poll, and then others will debate. That list isn't gospel.

Maybe he can go to Hoffenheim and have his career saved by Nagelsmann.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Erm...do you consider Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Ozil, Muller, and Kroos to not be stars? By anyone's standard they are, even if they aren't the best player at their position (and one of them certainly is).

Its all relative. Of course they are great players, except Oezil and Muller.

Are they Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Pogba, Bale in stature? No, they are not.

Thats mostly down to the positions they play, positions that are less regarded as positions stars would play.

So I was making the point that none of these players would be considered stars, but that they are the types of players that win you Championships. I wasn't disrespecting them, I was complimenting them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Muller has definitely been a great player in tournaments. Not so much last year, but before that? I have a hard time finding many players I'd rather take to a tournament.

People can talk about depth all they want, but in reality either your top or second best player (if the best player is hurt) at every position will play every international tournament game.

Portugal and Chile have pretty much no depth at all but they won last summer. Taking that into account I would for sure rather have France's talent.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As I said, talent isn't everything. But I can't see an area where Germany is better than France. Maybe goaltending if Areola busts and Lafont doesn't progress which is a long shot.
France is clearly better up front and in cental D. Germany's impressive in midfield, but I can't see France being weaker.

I'm not saying France will win more than Germany because talents have to mesh and coaching is important. But if you only compare talent wise, I don't see how you can say Germany is more versatile or better talent distribution.

France's depth is completely crazy. You didn't even include guys like Zouma, Gnagnon, Harit, Blas, Edouard, Didillon, Maisonnial, Touré, Sidibé, Nkunku, Ikone, etc...

EDIT : Seri is 25, Cyprien is 22....

Come again?

Muller has definitely been a great player in tournaments. Not so much last year, but before that? I have a hard time finding many players I'd rather take to a tournament.

People can talk about depth all they want, but in reality either your top or second best player (if the best player is hurt) at every position will play every international tournament game.

Portugal and Chile have pretty much no depth at all but they won last summer. Taking that into account I would for sure rather have France's talent.

Muller destroy the WM, but sucks at the EM.

Tah and Süle are the only two who have established themselves for a good team the way Laporte or Umtiti have. Still a lot of really good prospects on Germany's various youth teams.. Baumgartl, Ayhan, Kehrer, and Patrik Fritsch are my favorites. I'm sure cgf could tell you more. Their future is very bright at CB as well imo.

Maybe he can go to Hoffenheim and have his career saved by Nagelsmann.

Gul is my favorite young german CB, he has truly unreal ball skills and a calm slickness that makes him just majestic. He's on the brink of senior team football in BuLi2, but his future looks phenomenal; even if he ends up being converted into a midfielder full time. Uduokhai, Torunarigha, Ananou, Gimber, Abu Hanna, Baack, and Baak are highly rated by others; though I'm only sold on Uduokhai from that lot.

And I'm very fond of Rinderknecht; though I'm doubtful he'll ever end up at CB and so he's a real wildcard in this. If he lands with a creative coach who'll polish him into a CB he has the instincts & skill to become another Hummels.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You tell me though, does France have better full-back depth than Weiser, Henrichs, Passlack, Klostermann, Gerhardt, not to mention Kimmich can play right-back or even center-back?

And then in central midfield, does France have more depth than Weigl, Kimmich, Can, Goretzka, Havertz, Dahoud, Geis, Arnold? I don't think so.

At FB, France has Mendy, Digne and Kurzawa just at LB. All 3 are NT players ALREADY.
I think it's fair to say that LB spot is mighty impressive.
It's clearly more thin at RB, but Corchia's there. There's someone else I can't talk about here though :D

At CB, I still don't see it. Umtiti starts at Barca, Varane starts at Real at age 24, Laporte is one of the best young CB in the game. All three are better than any of those young german CB. I'd argue Zouma is as well, but the guy hasn't been in full health for a while and we'll have to see if he ever comes back to his level.

As for midfield?
Pogba, Rabiot, Tolisso... just let that sink in. And then add Kanté (26), Bakayoko, Sanson and soon to be star Lopez.
Sorry but you can't compare to the list of german midfielders you just named.
Pogba is a top CM, Rabiot is one of the best at the position already, Tolisso is going to explode in the media once he moves to a bigger team, Kanté is EPL MVP, Bakayoko had an amazing season, and the OM duo will get known soon.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
As for midfield?
Pogba, Rabiot, Tolisso... just let that sink in. And then add Kanté (26), Bakayoko, Sanson and soon to be star Lopez.
Pogba is a top CM, Rabiot is one of the best at the position already, Tolisso is going to explode in the media once he moves to a bigger team, Kanté is EPL MVP, Bakayoko had an amazing season, and the OM duo will get known soon.

Strong disagree.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Strong disagree.
Well, we can disagree for sure, but give me a 3 men german midfield better than Pogba/Kanté/Rabiot
Even if you limit to 24 year old, Pogba/Rabiot/Tolisso.
Even if you limit to 22 year old, Rabiot/Tolisso/Bakayoko.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Well, we can disagree for sure, but give me a 3 men german midfield better than Pogba/Kanté/Rabiot

I don't rate Bakayoko as highly as the others. I'd take Weigl, Dahoud, and Kimmich over the French 22 year old group you've listed.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Lots of the frenchies are overhyped(few gems though). Brazil got some good under 23s and some that are just over though..

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Dembele and Mbappe are super intruging and sky's the limit if everything pans out well. Pogba is overrated af. You can have all the physical attributes you wan't but playing with a stone in your head won't take you any further. Martial, Coman, Rabiot etc good players but no world class. And what might be the most important thing to overcome is the attitude the france team has been known for. Then maybe they could challenge for the world cup. Griezmann is a favorite so hopefully he'll be around if they do :)

But take a team with especially Neymar, Coutinho and Gabriel Jesus, then add some of the talents they got coming. Really like the way they seems to be coming along

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Martial I was never high with, as many here can testify (back when he was with Lyon). Still has his moments.
Coman is a winger, I like him, but he's one dimensional.
Rabiot highly disagree, he's class all around.
Pogba is overrated by the media, no doubt, but he's still quite a player.

All in all, disagree with "lots".

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
At FB, France has Mendy, Digne and Kurzawa just at LB. All 3 are NT players ALREADY.
I think it's fair to say that LB spot is mighty impressive.
It's clearly more thin at RB, but Corchia's there. There's someone else I can't talk about here though :D

At CB, I still don't see it. Umtiti starts at Barca, Varane starts at Real at age 24, Laporte is one of the best young CB in the game. All three are better than any of those young german CB. I'd argue Zouma is as well, but the guy hasn't been in full health for a while and we'll have to see if he ever comes back to his level.

As for midfield?

Umtiti doesn't even compare to Süle or Tah.

And those midfielders are nice but Tolisso is no better than Goretzka, Rabiot is no Dahoud, and that doesn't even touch on Weigl, Kimmich, Havertz, Amiri, Geiger, Barkok, Schreck, Maier, Akkaynak, Meyer, Henrichs if he ever gets to play as an 8 again, etc. Given the way Pogba's development has gone he's no decider in this.

Weigl, Dahoud and Kimmich; done.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah right.
Well one is starting for Barca and has a near perfect record with them.
Let's see how those two "uncomparables" do with a top team before hailing them as the new Beckenbauers.
Gotze and Draxler didn't exactly live up to your hype ;)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Pogba hasn't been worth his world record transfer fee, but he's actually had a really good season after the first few games of settling in. He's absolutely dominated in the midfield like he did against Celta on Thursday.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah right.
Well one is starting for Barca and has a near perfect record with them.
Let's see how those two "uncomparables" do with a top team before hailing them as the new Beckenbauers.
Gotze and Draxler didn't exactly live up to your hype ;)

Gotze also never was developed the way I said he needed to be; and Draxler's well on his way to becoming the forward I said he could be.

Tah and Süle are just more intelligent and skilled than Umtiti and Zouma. Physically those two French men compare, but not technically or mentally. Laporte and Varane are more proven; but with Hummels and Boateng still in their primes this isn't an issue.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
More intelligent and skilled.
Wow... :facepalm:
Just because those two are powerful doesn't mean they're idiots :facepalm:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'm not particularly high on Zouma.

Umtiti is over a year older than Süle. He transferred to Barca last summer; Süle is transferring to Bayern this summer. Looks like their career trajectory is pretty similar so far. Süle has been fantastic this year.

Tah had a huge step back this year with his health and form, but I still think he'll be a class player.

Pogba hasn't been worth his world record transfer fee, but he's actually had a really good season after the first few games of settling in. He's absolutely dominated in the midfield like he did against Celta on Thursday.

He's great. But I don't buy the idea that he'll ever be far and away the best CM in the world as hyped, because a combination of skill and physical ability is not enough alone to make someone the best CM in the world. One of the best for sure.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I don't think Pogba will really ever be worth his fee, but I assume everyone thinks he's had a bad season cuz he hasn't scored every game. You could see how sorely missed he was against Swansea, his ability to transition from defense to offense is huge for how United play. But yeah he's been good this year, and his long distance passing is some of the best out there ATM.

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
Umtiti doesn't even compare to Süle or Tah.

And those midfielders are nice but Tolisso is no better than Goretzka, Rabiot is no Dahoud, and that doesn't even touch on Weigl, Kimmich, Havertz, Geiger, Barkok, Aykanyak, etc. Given the way Pogba's development has gone he's no decider in this.

Weigl, Dahoud and Kimmich; done.
Yeah, that makes no sense. Rabiot's been a starter for one of the best clubs in the world and a damn good, too. Let's see what what Dahoud can do next season when he is expected to deliver on the highest level every week like Rabiot has done this season before putting Dahoud on some pedestal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, that makes no sense. Rabiot's been a starter for one of the best clubs in the world and a damn good, too. Let's see what what Dahoud can do next season when he is expected to deliver on the highest level every week like Rabiot has done this season before putting Dahoud on some pedestal.

Dahoud has already delivered on the highest level every week just last season. Stamina was literally the only weakness he had. And he's styled on Barca, Citeh and Bayern since cracking senior football, if his weekly BuLi showings weren't enough for you. Rabiot is awesome, and I dream of him replacing Dahoud at BMG; but he's just not quite as good as Mo.

Hopefully playing for BVB gives Dahoud the exposure necessary for people to realize just how extraordinary he is. He should've been our NTs starter at the euros last summer

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3