Country with the best footballing future

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I dunno, Italy has a lot of really good young players. They're deep everywhere. I just think they have less of a following on this board (and less media coverage in general) so you hear less about their upcoming talents.

No, let's be honest. Most of their best young players are over 23. They have two super prospects in Donnarumma and Moise Kean (but Juve never promote young players). Belotti is the finished product and he's a great finisher. Verratti and Jorginho are 24 and 25.

That doesn't even compare to the teams listed though, who all have great senior players under 25 and far better young players. We also must acknowledge the fact that Italy has failed to get past the group in the last two WC. The likes of Portugal have completely eclipsed them whether we like the Portugal style or not. I would also rather have Ruben Neves, Renato Sanches, and Bernardo Silva than anyone mentioned above besides Verratti.

There's also players like Gelson Martins, Andre Silva, Guerreiro, Joao Cancelo...

Anyway it would be insane to vote for Italy and that's my overall point, and I watch Serie A. It would still be insane. What they should do is give Diawara his citizenship and immediately put him on the NT. They have the same problem England has with not promoting youth players to their top teams, and I think I would rather take England's u-23 than Italy's if forced to choose.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
No, let's be honest. Most of their best young players are over 23. They have two super prospects in Donnarumma and Moise Kean (but Juve never promote young players). Belotti is the finished product and he's a great finisher. Verratti and Jorginho are 24 and 25.

That doesn't even compare to the teams listed though, who all have great senior players under 25 and far better young players. We also must acknowledge the fact that Italy has failed to get past the group in the last two WC. The likes of Portugal have completely eclipsed them whether we like the Portugal style or not. I would also rather have Ruben Neves, Renato Sanches, and Bernardo Silva than anyone mentioned above besides Verratti.

There's also players like Gelson Martins, Andre Silva, Guerreiro, Joao Cancelo...

Anyway it would be insane to vote for Italy and that's my overall point, and I watch Serie A. It would still be insane. What they should do is give Diawara his citizenship and immediately put him on the NT.

I definitely wouldn't vote for Italy in this poll but I'm not that pessimistic about their future. They are definitely more well-rounded than Portugal. No way would I take Sanches or Neves over Italy's 23-25 year old midfielders at this point. The only advantage they have is their youth, but player development isn't linear. Italy also has a habit of producing great coaches.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

Anyway it would be insane to vote for Italy and that's my overall point, and I watch Serie A. It would still be insane. What they should do is give Diawara his citizenship and immediately put him on the NT. They have the same problem England has with not promoting youth players to their top teams, and I think I would rather take England's u-23 than Italy's if forced to choose.

Nobody has seen Kean play. Jorginho doesn't even belong in any list. Still no mention of Chiesa who is top five or even three hands down. Romagnoli is a bust, the real deal is Caldara. I don't think we are very fond on italian youngsters here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I can tell you what worries me most is the D...our attack is very well set.
:thumbu:

Thats interesting. I would think with Donnarumma, all those Juve owned CB's, Romagnoli, Conti you guys are good defensively for the future.

For your attack, Belotti is very good, Kean seems promising, along with Bernardeschi and Berardi, but who else? Chiesa seems good. I really don't know of other promising Italian attacking players on the level of those in France, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nobody has seen Kean play. Jorginho doesn't even belong in any list. Still no mention of Chiesa who is top five or even three hands down. Romagnoli is a bust, the real deal is Caldara. I don't think we are very fond on italian youngsters here.

Still doesn't explain the fact you ranked them first.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Thats interesting. I would think with Donnarumma, all those Juve owned CB's, Romagnoli, Conti you guys are good defensively for the future.

For your attack, Belotti is very good, Kean seems promising, along with Bernardeschi and Berardi, but who else? Chiesa seems good. I really don't know of other promising Italian attacking players on the level of those in France, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain.

Conti is really good, i like him a lot. Fact is, i have an idea on our youngsters because i watch serie A. i have an hard time with others youngsters from other countries beacuse i don't really know how they are. Belotti is a fury, i can tell you this, very hard to contain and he's tailor-made for a coach like Ventura.

Watched more or less every match played by Bernardeschi because Fiorentina is my team; there is something about him that does not convince me, i think he's overrated. He's very strong with the ball, the skills are there obviously, but i don't like him as i like Chiesa for example.

I've never seen Kean. I am curious to see what happens next year with Scamacca and other players but on offense we are set.

Another player i like is Sensi, too bad he's linked with Juventus (strange eh!?).

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Insigne is still only 25. That's the thing. They may not have kids, but they have good players in the prime of their careers.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
So do Brazil, France, Germany, Argentina, etc...

Of course. I just find the narrative of the death of the Italian national team due to its bad young talent to be badly overstated. This narrative has been running since at least the 2014 World Cup, and a bunch of really good players have emerged since then, and most of them broke out when they were 23-25. They're not going to be a top favorite, but with a good coach they could very well be in that next group of teams as they were last summer.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah I think they're in much better shape than a few years ago.

I, however, don't see a problem with them out of the top 5 youth talent poll. I find it pretty logical and agree with it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Conti is really good, i like him a lot. Fact is, i have an idea on our youngsters because i watch serie A. i have an hard time with others youngsters from other countries beacuse i don't really know how they are. Belotti is a fury, i can tell you this, very hard to contain and he's tailor-made for a coach like Ventura.

Watched more or less every match played by Bernardeschi because Fiorentina is my team; there is something about him that does not convince me, i think he's overrated. He's very strong with the ball, the skills are there obviously, but i don't like him as i like Chiesa for example.

I've never seen Kean. I am curious to see what happens next year with Scamacca and other players but on offense we are set.

Another player i like is Sensi, too bad he's linked with Juventus (strange eh!?).

Cool. Didn't know you were a Fiorentina fan.

Getting away from the topic of Italian players, do you have any opinion on Josh Perez? He got one appearance for you guys earlier in the season, and I thought he did pretty well, but after that, he sat on the bench a bunch and then went back down to the Primavera team where it looks like he did well. Does he figure to get more playing time next season?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. Remember Remember the 9th of July. The Italians always find a way. That way has brought them 4 world cups. The greatest treasure in our game. The French have one which was won on home soil. Don't be so hasty to dismiss the young kings of Italy ����
Having the best youth doesn't translate into having the best team nor guarantees championships.

God bless.

I don't even disagree with the sentiment of this post, but this is unbearably pretentious. The last sentence would have sufficed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. Remember Remember the 9th of July. The Italians always find a way. That way has brought them 4 world cups. The greatest treasure in our game. The French have one which was won on home soil. Don't be so hasty to dismiss the young kings of Italy
Having the best youth doesn't translate into having the best team nor guarantees championships.

God bless.

So am I allowed to dismiss your opinion because Germany has more titles than Italy; and our first two WCs weren't won under...dubious circumstances?

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
You can do whatever you want. I'm sure you're a big boy.

BTW, Germany & Italy both have 4 World Cup titles.

So am I allowed to dismiss your opinion because Germany has more titles than Italy; and our first two WCs weren't won under...dubious circumstances?

Last edited:

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
My apologies you felt that way while I was addressing someone other than yourself. The last thing I want to do is offend someone who feels I'm being pretentious

I'll make a mental note to be informal with you if we ever converse. God bless.

I don't even disagree with the sentiment of this post, but this is unbearably pretentious. The last sentence would have sufficed.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Cool. Didn't know you were a Fiorentina fan.

Getting away from the topic of Italian players, do you have any opinion on Josh Perez? He got one appearance for you guys earlier in the season, and I thought he did pretty well, but after that, he sat on the bench a bunch and then went back down to the Primavera team where it looks like he did well. Does he figure to get more playing time next season?

I only saw him playing twice, the fifteen minutes with the first team and a match with his Primavera team at the Viareggio tournament. I don't think we'll see him with the first squad next year, pretty sure he'll be loaned in Serie B or Lega Pro but you never know. He'll get a look from the new coach (Pioli? Di Francesco?) since Paulo Sousa is leaving. I'll keep an eye on him, Mlakar and Castrovilli next year.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
My apologies you felt that way while I was addressing someone other than yourself. The last thing I want to do is offend someone who feels I'm being pretentious

I'll make a mental note to be informal with you if we ever converse. God bless.

**** me are you ever full of yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad