Country with the best footballing future

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here are some players from all these countries. Don't yell at me if I missed some players. :laugh: Stick to 23 and under. If you pick other, specify who, and why.

Brazil: Marquinhos, Gabriel Jesus, Gabigol, Fabinho, Wendell, Ederson, Thiago Maia, Vinicius Jr., Caio, Malcom, David Neres, Gerson, Dodo, Lincoln, Jorge, Douglas Santos, Walace, Gustavo Scarpa, Talisca, Marlon, Matheus Pereira

Spain: Saul, Hector Bellerin, Paco Alcacer, Sergio Rico, Inaki Williams, Denis Suarez, Jose Gaya, Jesus Vallejo, Marco Asensio, Oliver Torres, Kepa Arrizabalaga, Mikel Oyerzabal, Munir, Sandro, Deulofeu, Abel Ruiz, Carles Alena, Marcos Llorente

Germany: Julian Draxler, Leroy Sane, Joshua Kimmich, Julian Weigl, Jonathan Tah, Leon Goretzka, Niklas Sule, Julian Brandt, Mo Dahoud, Max Meyer, Timo Werner, Kai Havertz, Felix Passlack, Jann-Fiete Arp, Serge Gnabry, Benny Henrichs, Timo Horn, Loris Karius, Mitchell Weiser, Emre Can

Argentina: Paulo Dybala, Angel Correa, Luciano Vietto, Giovani Lo Celso, Leandro Paredes, Joaquin Correa, Sebastian Driussi, Giovani Simeone, Cristian Pavone, Santiago Ascacibar, Matias Kranevitter, Emanuel Mammana, Maxi Romero, Ezequiel Ponce, Ezequiel Barco, Cristian Romero, Gonzalo Maroni

France: Anthony Martial, Ousmane Dembele, Kylian Mbappe, Samuel Umtiti, Aymeric Laporte, Kingsley Coman, Thomas Lemar, Corentin Colisso, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Lucas Hernandez, Moussa Dembele, Adrien Rabiot, Lucas Digne, Benjamin Mendy, Presnel Kimpembe, Morgan Sanson, Malang Sarr, Theo Hernandez, Alban Lafont, Dayot Upemecano, Issa Diop, Maxime Lopez, Yann Karamoh

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No surprise I'll take the homer vote here (you can add some more, including Areola).

However, I'm just taking sides for pure talent, a lot of this is dependant on the coach and France doesn't have many good coaches.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm also going to say France, but I think a few of those players won't pan out. I'd say Coman and probably Martial are on the way there.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Right now it seems like France AINEC... although South American countries are underrated cause people from other continents barely watch SA football, so unless a kid is already playing in Europe at such young age or is a really hyped prospect he's probably gonna get unnoticed.

For example, Douglas Luiz (Vasco da Gama) is a fantastic midfielder at only 18-year-old and I'm pretty sure almost no one knows about him. How knows how he would be rated if he was European getting some playing time with a middle of the table team in Ligue 1 or Serie A.

There's a lot of these young players that will only get recognition when they move to Europe.

I love France firepower, though. Germany seems great, too.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Gonna go with France as well, seems like a runaway, especially since that list doesn't include someone like Pogba who's barely 24 and has a lot of years of potentially elite, elite football left in him.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
France.

Doesn't have to mean anything, they may end up winning nothing, top-10 or so NT are so close any tournament could go to either of them...

But on talent alone, I'd say the French boys have it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You list Arp yet leave off the biggest talent in germany, Eggestein?

Anyway, France first because Dembele & Mbappe should both end up BdO winners at some point; Germany a close second even though we don't have that potential best player on the planet starlet; with Brazil, Argentina & Spain filling out the rest of the top 5.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Scotland.

Matthew-McConaughey.gif

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You list Arp yet leave off the biggest talent in germany, Eggestein?

Anyway, France first because Dembele & Mbappe should both end up BdO winners at some point; Germany a close second even though we don't have that potential best player on the planet starlet; with Brazil, Argentina & Spain filling out the rest of the top 5.

Did you read the first post? I said no one get mad, if I miss any players. :whatever:

I saw Eggestein hadn't played much this season, especially for a team that has done okay of late, but is still not the hardest team to break into. I don't know enough about his situation to know what's the reasoning, but from an outsiders perspective, it seems like he might've lost some of his luster. You would probably know better though.

Still, I don't really think missing one player here or there takes away from the larger question, unless I missed like the best player in the whole conversation.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eggestein wasn't expected to be ready for senior football until the end of this season and got hit by injuries before that point. Plus Werder are one of the few BuLi clubs with more forwards than they have minutes for, with Kruse, Bartels & Pizarro leading the way.

He's still the biggest prospect in german football, so he's not just any name to leave off the list.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm gonna say Germany, although I recognize France might have more big name talents. I think Germany has better talent distribution between all the different positions, while France might end up with more stars.

I wouldn't discount Brazil from this discussion though. They could easily be the best if Jesus, Vinicius Jr. pan out as stars for their offense to go along with Neymar, and they can fill in the rest of their roster with solid pieces.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm gonna say Germany, although I recognize France might have more big name talents. I think Germany has better talent distribution between all the different positions, while France might end up with more stars.

Really? Which position does France have a weakness?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really? Which position does France have a weakness?

Its not necessarily a weakness. Its that I think Germany has more position advantages. Germany won the last World Cup with probably 0 stars.

Would you argue that France will have better depth and versatility in how they can play? I personally don't think so, and we know German coaching is usually pretty good, unless its Jurgen Klinsmann. :laugh: You even said France's coaching is questionable.

I think France is #2, but its close. I definitely see a likely improvement in France's next generation, but the question will be whether its good enough to topple Germany who is holding pretty steady.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As I said, talent isn't everything. But I can't see an area where Germany is better than France. Maybe goaltending if Areola busts and Lafont doesn't progress which is a long shot.
France is clearly better up front and in cental D. Germany's impressive in midfield, but I can't see France being weaker.

I'm not saying France will win more than Germany because talents have to mesh and coaching is important. But if you only compare talent wise, I don't see how you can say Germany is more versatile or better talent distribution.

France's depth is completely crazy. You didn't even include guys like Zouma, Gnagnon, Harit, Blas, Edouard, Didillon, Maisonnial, Touré, Sidibé, Nkunku, Ikone, etc...

EDIT : Seri is 25, Cyprien is 22....

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Its not necessarily a weakness. Its that I think Germany has more position advantages. Germany won the last World Cup with probably 0 stars.

Erm...do you consider Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Ozil, Muller, and Kroos to not be stars? By anyone's standard they are, even if they aren't the best player at their position (and one of them certainly is).

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
As I said, talent isn't everything. But I can't see an area where Germany is better than France. Maybe goaltending if Areola busts and Lafont doesn't progress which is a long shot.
France is clearly better up front and in cental D. Germany's impressive in midfield, but I can't see France being weaker.

I'm not saying France will win more than Germany because talents have to mesh and coaching is important. But if you only compare talent wise, I don't see how you can say Germany is more versatile or better talent distribution.

France's depth is completely crazy. You didn't even include guys like Zouma, Gnagnon, Harit, Blas, Edouard, Didillon, Maisonnial, Touré, Sidibé, Nkunku, Ikone, etc...

I don't know if France is clearly better than Germany in central defense. The list in the OP doesn't include some of Germany's younger/less established CB prospects. Doesn't matter too much because Hummels and Boateng will be holding down those spots for a couple more international tournaments if healthy.

Erm...do you consider Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Ozil, Muller, and Kroos to not be stars? By anyone's standard they are, even if they aren't the best player at their position (and one of them certainly is).

Yeah, you'd have to have an incredibly limited criteria for stars to think they didn't have stars.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't know if France is clearly better than Germany in central defense. The list in the OP doesn't include some of Germany's younger/less established CB prospects.
Laporte, Umtiti, Zouma, Lucas Hernandez, Sarr, Kimpembe, Gagnon, Diop... Pretty crazy depth at CB IMO. Already a lot of experience too for some of these.

Doesn't matter too much because Hummels and Boateng will be holding down those spots for a couple more international tournaments if healthy.

Agreed.
For France, it's Varane for a while too.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool gave a pro contract the George Johnston. Is he any good?

Do you watch the U-18's? I don't think he'll make the grade but should be able to play in a good league.

I was going to make a comment about the U-21 tournament this summer, but I see that France isn't in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->