Could Toronto Wind Up With Two 1st Round Picks?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Some saying Freddy worth a 2nd. I understand CBJ want to shed dollars but how does a 2nd get you Savard and Korpisalo ?

They can dump Savard and Korpisalo for virtually nothing and sign a $1M backup and they would be further ahead. What am I missing ??
You are missing the fact that Freddy is still a great goalie, and they are saving $5.2 million in cash.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
You are missing the fact that Freddy is still a great goalie, and they are saving $5.2 million in cash.

A lot of people think korpisalo is a great goalie because of last playoff run... But korpisalo is not a good proven #1 goalie, korpisalo is a kind of martin Jones, Jake Allen, cam Talbot who also already had pretty good playoff before..

it's a terrible error to trade andersen for korpisalo and get same kind of trouble than edmonton, calgary, sj in front the net

Kangal

Feb 21, 2017
A combination of Freddie, Dermott and Johnson/Kerfoot would probably get you a 1st round pick plus hopefully other picks and/or assets and would free up salary cap for free agents. Pietrangelo would be welcomed on a 4 year max at around $8 million per

kb

Aug 28, 2009
A combination of Freddie, Dermott and Johnson/Kerfoot would probably get you a 1st round pick plus hopefully other picks and/or assets and would free up salary cap for free agents. Pietrangelo would be welcomed on a 4 year max at around $8 million per
So that's a vote against Pietrangelo. He's getting at least 7 years, and minimum of $8.5-$9 million per.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
Who was the last goalie that got traded that went for really good value?

The most recent one I can think of was Schneider for Horvat's pick.

Anything more recent? Seems like goalies just don't attract tons of value around the league.
Well, the leafs paid a (late) first and a second for Andersen in the first place. So there's that.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The core is all young, and signed long-term.

That means the team has to be in "win-now" mode, IMO.
Age doesnt matter. Salary Cap matters.

The core commands so much money we are a win now team.

That doesnt play win now.

We should have bridged Marner and Nylander.

I have no concerns paying for good playoff performances.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Bridging would have been a huge mistake. Flat cap for a few more years, and then both come due for huge raises? Good luck with that.

In retrospect and with the benefit of hindsight, it was always the right move.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Bridging was bad

I'll be signing Marner to 8.5 when my bridge deal comes due for as long as I want.

Dubas signed deals when players were at their max cap hit.

Year 1 looks bad on the deal so far.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
No thanks. We should have learned our lesson with Marleau and soon Tavares will be an 11 million ,60 pt center.
It would suck to have a Norris calibre RD on the team.
Nothing pointing at that for Tavares so far.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Bridging during a flat cap pandemic. Lol.

Also - "good playoff performers". You can grow into a good playoff performer.

They are in win now mode.

Reactions: kb

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Johnsson + 44th for 18th overall I would consider

Andersen for a 1st would be amazing.

I think Kerfoot + Johnsson are worth about a 2nd each. If we could convert Johnsson into a top 4 RHD with minimum adds from our side it would be amazing.

We do need to draft with our 15th overall, we need a constant supply of young top end players, especially if we sign Pietro

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Bridging during a flat cap pandemic. Lol.

Also - "good playoff performers". You can grow into a good playoff performer.

They are in win now mode.
So the Leafs are in Win Now mode, and are "learning and finding out" if they are good playoff performers ?

Wonderful.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
So the Leafs are in Win Now mode, and are "learning and finding out" if they are good playoff performers ?

They aren't "finding out".

Try reading my initial post again - they are providing their young core the opportunity to grow into winners.

No team that rebuilds just all of a sudden wakes up and becomes a winner over night.

Reality doesn't work that way.

Whether it's Tampa, or the Capitals, or virtually any number of examples - you need to learn how to win in the post-season. You just don't automatically have it happen.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
They aren't "finding out".

Try reading my initial post again - they are providing their young core the opportunity to grow into winners.

No team that rebuilds just all of a sudden wakes up and becomes a winner over night.

Reality doesn't work that way.

Whether it's Tampa, or the Capitals, or virtually any number of examples - you need to learn how to win in the post-season. You just don't automatically have it happen.
the problem is we have 16m plus tied up in two 30 or older players and while i have no problem being patient while the kids learn to win we don't have an endless timeline before JT/Muzzin decline

also using the youth of a few players doesn't excuse not getting past Columbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad