Could Tom Anselmi be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Well Gord Stellick was just on CBC talking about this whole mess. Hes speculating given the timing of the announcement, especially since it was made on the same day as the BoG's ratification of the new collective bargaining agreement, that something big must of happened over the past 24 hours that got Burke fired. He felt that their probably was a series of events leading up this, especially since Burke from day 1 has said that he won't work in an environment where he doesn't have complete autonomy, and that perhaps a "**** you, no **** YOU!" sort of situation may have set this whole thing off.

That's actually exactly what I was wondering, if he refuses to give up certain pieces and they tried to force him and he told them to "pound sand". If so, kudos to you Mr. Burke.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Check out the timing of this move. Somebody's a problem.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Yes, I got very bad vibes from that whole press conference that this was an event that is going to set an ugly precedent in the future of this franchise.
This- massive douchechills from this goof and I can only imagine how much worse the shadow puppeteers on the Leafs BOG are. I'm very worried

Number13

May 21, 2007
This- massive douchechills from this goof and I can only imagine how much worse the shadow puppeteers on the Leafs BOG are. I'm very worried

It really struck me when I rememebered the introduction of a new GM is supposed to be an exciting, jovial day, while this press conference had more of a school-shooting press conference vibe.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Does Anselmi have the same power with the Leafs as he did TFC? If so we are screwed as fans yet again.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Holy over-reaction sportsfans. Maybe it would be a good idea to proceed on the basis of fact rather than speculation and especially speculation that is assumed to be fact. In a few short hours Burke has achieved martyr status and Anselmi has become a ''corporate antichrist"(a redundancy for too many).

12345*

You guys need to calm down and get a life outside of watching hockey. You all are living up to the hilarity of being hockey fans in Toronto, trying to create drama where none exists.

SteveV*

I have no confidence in this guy, TFC was his baby and he turned it into an utter joke. He looks like an azz kisser with mediocre intelligence.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
That's actually exactly what I was wondering, if he refuses to give up certain pieces and they tried to force him and he told them to "pound sand". If so, kudos to you Mr. Burke.

You can tell that this is what happened because Burke was the President. Nonis is now the Vice President. Who is the new President??

Oiffub

Matthews > McDavid don't @ me
Mar 16, 2010
ACC
Not liking the vibes from upper management at all. It was pretty damn evident that Nonis was not on board with Burke getting canned, and TSN said MLSE execs put Nonis in a unfair situation, and gave him a "now or never" offer.

Bell/Rogers are trying to keep a cleaner image with Nonis and I don't like that at all.

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
When Burke was hired, and Peddie was put out to the pasture we thought the meddling crap was over..

Little more than 4 years later, Brian's gone and we get Richard's hand picked successor Anselmi meddling and calling the shots.

I have full faith in Nonis, absolutely none in MLSE.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Jim Tatti wouldn't even "speculate" on anything tonight on "Game Night". Huge corporate shilling. Why bother hosting a radio show when you need to preface every single thing said by callers or co-host Mike Hogan with "that's pure speculation". Obviously, we get it.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
After the "you're all Rogers/Bell people here" comment, I shake my head. IF indeed the Leafs will become a situation where the media will be required to....soften the questions, and Bell/Rogers try to control every aspect of the team in and outside the rink to form their own "corporate" identity, its really hard to imagine what type of accountability there will be in the organization-because if the Leafs continue to put a less than stellar product on the ice, and the "employees" are only able to ask softball questions and a GM who is expected to also follow this culture and form as well-I just wonder what that all leads to.

When the media (and I'm not a fan of media, don't get me wrong) end up being forced to all toe the company line and not offer any objective commentary-the Leafs end up becoming "The Stepford Leafs" (variation on Stepford wives)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
When Burke was hired, and Peddie was put out to the pasture we thought the meddling crap was over..

Little more than 4 years later, Brian's gone and we get Richard's hand picked successor Anselmi meddling and calling the shots.

I have full faith in Nonis, absolutely none in MLSE.

I see the whole timeline as you do as well.

The thing is Anselmi is the mouth piece for the six self proclaimed hockey experts on the board, Nothing more.

If he had any balls he would fallen on the sword today as well, Cause as you stated it was Peddie, Gord Kirke and him that hand picked Burke from Anaheim.

I don't think ever in my time as a Leaf fan have I felt this much distrust in the upper management and ownership. It's bordering on betrayal.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
After the "you're all Rogers/Bell people here" comment, I shake my head. IF indeed the Leafs will become a situation where the media will be required to....soften the questions, and Bell/Rogers try to control every aspect of the team in and outside the rink to form their own "corporate" identity, its really hard to imagine what type of accountability there will be in the organization-because if the Leafs continue to put a less than stellar product on the ice, and the "employees" are only able to ask softball questions and a GM who is expected to also follow this culture and form as well-I just wonder what that all leads to.

When the media (and I'm not a fan of media, don't get me wrong) end up being forced to all toe the company line and not offer any objective commentary-the Leafs end up becoming "The Stepford Leafs" (variation on Stepford wives)

I wasn't aware that Bell/Rogers owned newspapers let alone all the newspapers in Toronto for that matter. If you think that all the media in TO is owned by Bell/Rogers, perhaps you have already gone Stepford...well, a drama queen of some kind.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
MLSE is once again going to run this team into the ground - slowly but surely. And like someone said above, this press conference was a solemn affair, not the norm.

I'm worried about the media not being able to negatively report on the Leafs - TSN & Sportsnet now technically are part of the same company as the Leafs.

FAN590 has a podcast. 5 PM hour.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime_time_sports/

Toasterman

Jul 23, 2010
Well Gord Stellick was just on CBC talking about this whole mess. Hes speculating given the timing of the announcement, especially since it was made on the same day as the BoG's ratification of the new collective bargaining agreement, that something big must of happened over the past 24 hours that got Burke fired. He felt that their probably was a series of events leading up this, especially since Burke from day 1 has said that he won't work in an environment where he doesn't have complete autonomy, and that perhaps a "**** you, no **** YOU!" sort of situation may have set this whole thing off.

Since Nonis and Burke were at an AHL game together just last night, all this went down this morning. At the press conference, Nonis clearly looked like a man who had just come from a meeting where very bad things went down - voices were loud, swearing and name calling ensued and, most likely, threats of his own firing were made against him. He looked pretty shellshocked and you do not come across that way unless you just witnessed something really bothersome and disturbing.

12345*

Since Nonis and Burke were at an AHL game together just last night, all this went down this morning. At the press conference, Nonis clearly looked like a man who had just come from a meeting where very bad things went down - voices were loud, swearing and name calling ensued and, most likely, threats of his own firing were made against him. He looked pretty shellshocked and you do not come across that way unless you just witnessed something really bothersome and disturbing.

This isn't a soap opera. If you've watched any of Nonis' previous media addresses, that's how he looks. No, he didn't see a fistfight. No, he didn't see a murder. No he didn't see MLSE point a shotgun at Burke's head or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad