Could Tom Anselmi be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
if we win the board can do what it wants make no mistake they want to win it's good for business

Wanting to win, and knowing how to win, are two different things.

There are 30 NHL teams that WANT to win. Of course it's good for business.

Knowing how to win is another matter altogether. Go through all the traditionally successful teams over the past few years and have a look at their ownership structure and ask yourself just how heavily involved the owners are? Either it's a single man (Melnyk) or an entity, but they are rarely ever involved.

Listen to Mark Cuban one day as well - very insightful on how to run a sports franchise. Also, pay attention to how Cuban has changed as a man and an owner over the past several years.

That's the difference between wanting to win, and knowing how to win.

I don't doubt MLSE/Rogers/Bell want to win. They've not proven in decades that they have a clue how to.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
So they fire a GM, for reasons which aren't entirely clear, and everyone here jumps to the conclusion that they are meddlers and will be sticking their noses into hockey decisions? One firing does not mean they are going to try to micro-manage everything about the hockey team and people really need to get a grip and wait to see how everything plays out.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Anselmi's clarification of Burke's new role was a little puzzling. He mentioned Burke's value as being a "sobering second" thought/voice to his...Perhaps someone can clarify for me just what part of NHL hockey operations Anselmi has experience with and why exactly he would need Burke to correct him if necessary.

Paying too great a price or not paying a price quick enough for Luongo are the only reasons I can come up with apart from personality preference as to why Burke was let go.

Some are asking for clarification from Bell/Rogers perspective...I want to know what Burke thinks is the reason for his dismissal.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
just don't sell gardiner or Reilley for luongo and i'm good

I don't see Reilly moving...for any reason. But if he was, that might a final straw...Could just be post-lockout frustration talking but, I just wish the seemingly peculiar machinations that define Toronto these many years would just stop and give way to steady, predictably dependable management.

enixer

Mar 26, 2011
So they fire a GM, for reasons which aren't entirely clear, and everyone here jumps to the conclusion that they are meddlers and will be sticking their noses into hockey decisions? One firing does not mean they are going to try to micro-manage everything about the hockey team and people really need to get a grip and wait to see how everything plays out.

I think this comes from decades of seeing Leafs' ownership meddle or limit the ability of GMs to do their jobs properly. This feels like a repeat of Pat Quinn being removed so that someone who could be controlled could be placed in there, i.e., JFJ. You're right, we might be wrong and they may give Nonis complete freedom to do what he thinks is best for the team. Personally, though, I think it's unlikely.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
At least with Burke, I trusted that it was just him and the team.

That trust is now gone - completely vanished. We're back to the "Fergie" days.

enixer

Mar 26, 2011

I think so. For those who thought Burke was bad, there's nothing better than corporate suits with no hockey knowledge dictating the direction of the Leafs.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Quinn was the last guy before Burke with a long leash, his successor was... JFJ.

Buckle up, we're in for a ride.

AndMat*

As a TFC, yes he was but, he is not in charge anymore. Payne is in control he brought in Nelsen wants to get rid of the old DP's, I like what he's doing with TFC.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Absolutely he's a huge problem. Got that just from the press conference yesterday.

1. He started the conference off by saying "the new ownership has new priorities." When will these clueless morons get it? When you're at a press conference, talking about hockey operations the priority is always the same. WINNING. That's it.

It should have be the priority last year and it should still be the priority this year. It was a very telling remark that just shows this ownership still has no clue how to separate hockey operations from business.

2. He goes on to assure us that their priority is winning. Yet then, for all the reasons he gave why Burke is no longer the GM, none of them had anything to do with wins or losses. Sounded more like personal issues and business reasons.

You can't say your priority is "winning" and then fire a Stanley Cup winning GM because he wasn't the right "fit" for the ownership style. Ridiculous.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
It is an indefinite future for you guys. Every year you just want to tank, tank, tank. It's been the same story for almost 10 years now.

Yet the two years we actually tank. We don't have our picks. Of course people are going to be left wanting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->