Could Tom Anselmi be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R McD

Jun 21, 2010
The GTA.
Does anyone know a whole lot about this guy? From listening to various reports on the radio today he appears to come across as one of those meddling dreaded 'fan' types who is constantly interfering in management affairs. Some are suggesting the incredibly odd and suspicious timing of Burke's firing may have to do with the the possible luongo trade itself. Look regardless of whether your pro or anti Burke no one can argue with how odd the timing of today's events are and the proper and correct time to fire Burke would of been back in April/May and not now. The whole damn organization is in complete disarray and we got a freaking season starting in a little over a week. If this kind of circus is what we can expect under new ownership and Anselmi's administration, we are due for even more misery.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Anselmi is a puppet.

The "Remember, All of you work for Rogers/Bell here" was one of the most cowardly things I've heard in a long time.

It's the six people on the board who think they know how to run sports organizations.

Apr 1, 2010
HE has already become a problem as of the Burke Firing, because he won't over pay in a trade for a player.
OWnership should not be meddling.

R McD

Jun 21, 2010
The GTA.
Anselmi is a puppet.

The "Remember, All of you work for Rogers/Bell here" was one of the most cowardly things I've heard in a long time.

It's the six people on the board who think they know how to run sports organizations.

Great, well if we are back to have meddling owners again, then we are completely ****ed!.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
anselmiout.jpeg

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
^ This. Ask some TFC fans how they feel about him. Ugh, finally got him off of Toronto FC's back, and now he has to start meddling with the Leafs?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Anselmi is a puppet.

You know what I am always thinking Rare.

Pretty much right now the case and I am not happy.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Anselmi is a puppet.

What is the "Remember, All of you work for Rogers/Bell here" comment?

I don't like this guy already. I was a Burke fan but not overly in his favor. This makes ZERO sense to fire him. The team isn't great, without question. The AHL team is one of the best, we have SOME higher end talent coming along and this team has been setup from DAY 1 to be free and clear with respect to salary restrictions next year.

I just don't get it, horrible decision IMO. That being said, I do like Nonis also.

EDIT - MLSE needs to stay out of sports decisions.

Last edited:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
What is the "Remember, All of you work for Rogers/Bell here" comment?

I don't like this guy already. I was a Burke fan but not overly in his favor. This makes ZERO sense to fire him. The team isn't great, without question. The AHL team is one of the best, we have SOME higher end talent coming along and this team has been setup from DAY 1 to be free and clear with respect to salary restrictions next year.

I just don't get it, horrible decision IMO. That being said, I do like Nonis also.

EDIT - MLSE needs to stay out of sports decisions.

The Rogers/Bell comment was basically a clumsy and thinly veiled threat to the media to stay in line over the Burke firing or they would find themselves in trouble with their corporate bosses.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The Rogers/Bell comment was basically a clumsy and thinly veiled threat to the media to stay in line over the Burke firing or they would find themselves in trouble with their corporate bosses.

What a PoS. Heaven forbid this franchise ever be run right. Damn corporates.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Yes, I got very bad vibes from that whole press conference that this was an event that is going to set an ugly precedent in the future of this franchise.

R McD

Jun 21, 2010
The GTA.
Well Gord Stellick was just on CBC talking about this whole mess. Hes speculating given the timing of the announcement, especially since it was made on the same day as the BoG's ratification of the new collective bargaining agreement, that something big must of happened over the past 24 hours that got Burke fired. He felt that their probably was a series of events leading up this, especially since Burke from day 1 has said that he won't work in an environment where he doesn't have complete autonomy, and that perhaps a "**** you, no **** YOU!" sort of situation may have set this whole thing off.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
He's a small part of the huge problem with this franchise, and that is the unfortunate truth that the hockey side of the Leafs is meaningless to the people in charge of it as long as they're making bank.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He's a small part of the huge problem with this franchise, and that is the unfortunate truth that the hockey side of the Leafs is meaningless to the people in charge of it as long as they're making bank.

They're making bank regardless, so I don't understand why they can't just keep their meddling Big Brother complex the **** away from my Leafs.

Well Gord Stellick was just on CBC talking about this whole mess. Hes speculating given the timing of the announcement, especially since it was made on the same day as the BoG's ratification of the new collective bargaining agreement, that something big must of happened over the past 24 hours that got Burke fired. He felt that their probably was a series of events leading up this, especially since Burke from day 1 has said that he won't work in an environment where he doesn't have complete autonomy, and that perhaps a "**** you, no **** YOU!" sort of situation may have set this whole thing off.

If that's the case, good for Burkie. I'd love to give Anselmi/Rogers/Bell a great big "**** you" as well.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Someone needs to post the Mccown - Anselmi exchange.

Excellent radio.
That was great a listen. I hadn't known much about Anselmi until today and still know very little about him. One thing that did seem interesting on McCown's show this afternoon was that Anselmi made it sound that he cautioned the Board of Directors of the timing and that he thought they should wait a bit as this is very awkward timing.

threeGo

Oct 18, 2011
Toronto
They're making bank regardless, so I don't understand why they can't just keep their meddling Big Brother complex the **** away from my Leafs.

If that's the case, good for Burkie. I'd love to give Anselmi/Rogers/Bell a great big "**** you" as well.

they can't keep away because they know they will make money anyways, so they want to push the GM to do something because they can and they would get excitement at the thought of being the cause of that action with no worries for repercussions (they'll make money if the trade is good/bad).

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Agreed, it was great.

Anselmi seems like a manipulative snake.

This whole situation reminds me of Rocky V. Burke is Rocky, Nonis is Tommy Gunn, and Anselmi is that agent.

Sadly/ironically that movie ruined the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad