News Article: COULD LEAFS LET REIMER WALK? TheFourthPeriod.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Even after with Bernier or McIntyre in net, the leafs didn't fare any better. When bernier came back he went on to post a .897 save % and a 3.40 GAA and a 1-3-0 in 5 starts. Going by some wizards in here, since McIntyre played better in 95 minutes than Reimer and also Bernier in the same stretch of games - i guess that means he's our new #1 next season.

Bernier right now is in rehab post surgery. the leafs dumping reimer for nothing, without knowing the full results of how Bernier recovers, and if there's any lingering problems (small goaltender and groin issues... sounds familiar anyone?!) is premature at best. costs nothing for the leafs to QO Reimer outside of cap space in the off season.

Will bernier come back 100%? will he start having groin issues? especially if the leafs ride him hard next season?

you realize bernier returned from injury right? the one that didnt exactly heal? why would you even bring up his performance when the only reason he was in was due to the ineptitude of James Reimer

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How about one that can adapt to a backup position and step up when needed?

I think it's key for guys to want all the playing time they can get. But at the same time I didn't think Reimer's attitude was great at times this season.

Reimer was mopey and didn't have the right focus to help the team no matter what. He was worried about job security and felt entitled to the job.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Berniers status is irrelevant. Any option is better than keeping Reimer.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
you realize bernier returned from injury right? the one that didnt exactly heal? why would you even bring up his performance when the only reason he was in was due to the ineptitude of James Reimer

I don't think the poster is necessarily blaming Bernier in this scenario.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Do you not see what is so hypocritical with the majority of your posts in this thread? You go tooth and nail arguing with people defending players on our team that you believe don't deserve to be bad mouthed, namely Clarkson, and here you are, any chance you get, trying to rip on Reimer. The best thing that happened to this team, and to Reimer, was Bernier coming back from injury and playing terrible in front of a terrible team. That made it impossible to blame Reimer for the "collapse" that people like you would have jumped all over, shadowing the terrible play from the team. I hope and fully believe Reimer will be gone , traded.

you do realise that most people who were defending Clarkson stopped, when it got to the point that you couldn't defend his piss-poor garbage play anymore, right? Including Cor.

It wasn't a "collapse" it was a full full-fledged meltdown. when Bernier got injured, the Leafs were 9 points clear from the 9th place team. By the end of the season we were 9 points from making the playoffs. I think like 12 teams? passed us. that's not "collapse" And you can't excuse Reimer from it. Bernier came back early from injury (groin & sports hernia) because Reimer wasn't playing well. The end.

I said it before, and I'll it again. Is it solely on Reimer? No - it is not. It was everyone.
But it's not like Reimer played the best hockey in his entire life, either, so let's not paint him lily white for innocence either.

I hope he gets traded because he believes that he is a starting goalie. He could say all the right things, but until he changes his focus to accept what he is on this team - he is a detriment.

Reimer was mopey and didn't have the right focus to help the team no matter what. He was worried about job security and felt entitled to the job.

pretty much. the last game the leafs won when Reimer started was the 5-2 win vs. Colorado. He was in net for LA & Boston wins, but I think the overall stat was something mindboggling - in 16+ starts, the Leafs lost those games. So you can lay it at the feet of our defense all you want, but that's not good at all on Reimer.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

I think it was just a bad situation either way.

he had just lost his starting job, he knew he was done as a leaf and then bam Bernier goes down and he's in charge of getting us the final points.

the problem was he came in with a completely horrible mindset, instead of thinking heres my time to shine so other teams or even this team gives me another shot, he went in looking like crap.

This team was shakey either way, but I guarentee you if Reimer came in and even played average we would've squeeked into the playoffs. Reimer's play badly killed the momentum in almost every game, but we were essentially causing it further by playing such atrocious defence.

Either way it doesnt matter, we were looking at a 1st round exit this year, we had much more momentum last season with a better team, this season we were stumbling into the playoffs, and I dont think we had a chance against ANY team(maybe, maybe Pitty, Boston is better this season)

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
The Fourth Period is reporting this. At least we now know that Reimer is not going to be getting his walking papers. That's a relief. Thanks TFP

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Could care less if we get nothing for him. You had a chance earlier in the season to move him and didn't. That's what happens when you don't manage assets well.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
I don't why you guys even think trading Reimer was a good option. What team would trade their best backup while in the playoffs. It was never an option for us as long as we were in the playoff picture.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
1.8 million is fine. There would be plenty of teams who would be willing to take a chance on him at that price or we could keep him and move him later.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I think it was just a bad situation either way.

he had just lost his starting job, he knew he was done as a leaf and then bam Bernier goes down and he's in charge of getting us the final points.

the problem was he came in with a completely horrible mindset, instead of thinking heres my time to shine so other teams or even this team gives me another shot, he went in looking like crap.

This team was shakey either way, but I guarentee you if Reimer came in and even played average we would've squeeked into the playoffs. Reimer's play badly killed the momentum in almost every game, but we were essentially causing it further by playing such atrocious defence.

Either way it doesnt matter, we were looking at a 1st round exit this year, we had much more momentum last season with a better team, this season we were stumbling into the playoffs, and I dont think we had a chance against ANY team(maybe, maybe Pitty, Boston is better this season)

Reimer came into this season with the right mind set. He was the better of the 2 in training camp and earned opening night starts both the season opener and the home opener. He was good early but once Bernier's play picked up and the huge advantage of rebound control came to play Reimer couldn't hack that he was outplayed and lost all his focus.

This notion that Reimer was mentally tough proved to be his demise and the big reason why Nonis traded for Bernier was in fact the red light of getting rattled under pressure was a occurrence that showed up once too many times. He got a pass the first time cause of the concussion. The last 10 mins with Boston in the playoffs caused the Bernier trade. Can't say I'm surprised Reimer although was very good for the Leafs all he proved was that he was inconsistent

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I don't why you guys even think trading Reimer was a good option. What team would trade their best backup while in the playoffs. It was never an option for us as long as we were in the playoff picture.

Hindsight of course is always 20/20 but he proved to be the worst backup possible. 0-8, 0-9? I forget. Not a single point

I've always been a reimer critic and it boggles my mind that STILL after putting up a record Helen Keller could have matched in net, you question why we thought he needed to be moved????

Last edited:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
If you can get something for Duby, you can get something for James Reimer.

Silliness.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'd like to know which Vezina level back goalie we're going to get to play in front of our piss poor defensive team that will steal us games in the 20 or so he'll be playing ? That's hoping Bernier can play 60 plus without breaking down or going through a slump of his own .

Reims played far from great down the stretch but he wasn't costing us games , he just wasn't stealing us any .

We relied on a hot first line and stellar goaltending to win games . That went south and we collapsed , it's not that hard to figure .

Blaming the goalie does't solve the rest of the problems of the team and pretending we're going to find a much better b/u for a mil and change is wishful thinking .

DjD4GGR

Jun 15, 2010
Gatineau, Quebec
Reimer's value will all depend on how he does in world cup championships that starts this weekend. If Scrivens beats him for the starting job were screwed and we let him walk. If he plays lights out id look at shipping him to winnipeg in a package for Byfuglien, Bogosian or Kane...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd like to know which Vezina level back goalie we're going to get to play in front of our piss poor defensive team that will steal us games in the 20 or so he'll be playing ? That's hoping Bernier can play 60 plus without breaking down or going through a slump of his own .

Reims played far from great down the stretch but he wasn't costing us games , he just wasn't stealing us any .

We relied on a hot first line and stellar goaltending to win games . That went south and we collapsed , it's not that hard to figure .

Blaming the goalie does't solve the rest of the problems of the team and pretending we're going to find a much better b/u for a mil and change is wishful thinking .

Reimer cost us multiple games, Montreal, Tampa Bay, Detroit come to mind instantly, especially Montreal.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Reimer cost us multiple games, Montreal, Tampa Bay, Detroit come to mind instantly, especially Montreal.

Being constantly out played and expecting our goalie to bail us out until we go on a 15-20 min spurt is what costed us games .

Reims may have played poorly the odd game but sometimes the team needs to bail the goalie out which almost never happened this year .

How many complete games did this team play this year , very few if you ask me .

Why would anyone expect our goalies never to have a poor or bad game over an 82 game sked ?

Also who is this elite b/u people think we'll going to acquire for peanuts in the off season that we be so much better than Reims ?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Letting weak goals didn't really help either. Again - it's not excusing the defense or the team for starting poorly, but Reimer isn't lily white innocent here. It's not an either or - it's both. Reimer was part of the problem. In five games he couldn't even steal one - or hold down the fort enough to get one overtime point. He wasn't good enough that Bernier had to come in and play injured, and we kept on losing.

Again - doesn't excuse that the defensive game was piss poor. But why are we ignoring the fact that Reimer was letting in goals at bad times?

And it's not so much finding a cheap backup - it's finding a goalie who EMBRACES being a backup. like he knows that's his job. that he can play 25-35 games, be good with long rests. Basically, what we've got right now is a Price/Halak situation.

Acknowledge what Reimer did for the team, shake his hand, and wish him well in all his future endevours, and then find a Budaj. A goaltender that can stand on his head when needed, can steal a game, can hold the fort for the most part should the starter be hurt - but is confident that the most he'll play is 35 games maximum (health permitting to Bernier) and can win some playoff games in case of injury.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Being constantly out played and expecting our goalie to bail us out until we go on a 15-20 min spurt is what costed us games .

Reims may have played poorly the odd game but sometimes the team needs to bail the goalie out which almost never happened this year .

How many complete games did this team play this year , very few if you ask me .

Why would anyone expect our goalies never to have a poor or bad game over an 82 game sked ?

Also who is this elite b/u people think we'll going to acquire for peanuts in the off season that we be so much better than Reims ?

I assume you didn't watch the 3 said games. The team did all they could to bail out Reimer vs Montreal, but couldn't keep up with the 5 goals Reimer let in, and they weren't difficult goals either. Tampa Bay he gets a bit of a break, Stamkos tore up Reimer and our defense, but he let in a couple bad goals that really put the dagger in. Detroit was a laughable performance by Reimer.

If I am correct we got more shots in at least 2/3 of those games too.

No one is saying we are bringing in an elite backup, quite frankly there is no such thing. However, there are better options at backup goalie then bringing Reimer back, and it makes sense to trade Reimer for anything we can get and just move on. Nabokov, Elliot, Emery, Griess, Bryzgalov, heck, even Gustavsson are all solid backup goalies that can play 15-20 games and give us solid performances.

Reimer doesn't want to be back. We don't need him back. No need to drag out the situation any longer

No one is excusing the defensive play, but the first 3-4 games of the collapse the team played decently well, but we didn't have goaltending support, and it cost us games.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I assume you didn't watch the 3 said games. The team did all they could to bail out Reimer vs Montreal, but couldn't keep up with the 5 goals Reimer let in, and they weren't difficult goals either. Tampa Bay he gets a bit of a break, Stamkos tore up Reimer and our defense, but he let in a couple bad goals that really put the dagger in. Detroit was a laughable performance by Reimer.

If I am correct we got more shots in at least 2/3 of those games too.

No one is saying we are bringing in an elite backup, quite frankly there is no such thing. However, there are better options at backup goalie then bringing Reimer back, and it makes sense to trade Reimer for anything we can get and just move on. Nabokov, Elliot, Emery, Griess, Bryzgalov, heck, even Gustavsson are all solid backup goalies that can play 15-20 games and give us solid performances.

Reimer doesn't want to be back. We don't need him back. No need to drag out the situation any longer

No one is excusing the defensive play, but the first 3-4 games of the collapse the team played decently well, but we didn't have goaltending support, and it cost us games.

He let in 4 goals against the Habs and leaving one the 2 top goal scorers in the league wide open is on the D .

Laughable performance against the wings ? He let in 3 goals in 31 shots and i believe only one before the 3rd period .The Det goalie let in a softy as well but going by our game threads it seems we think every goal we've scored this season was an unstoppable bullet .

I don't think you have a clue what solid goaltending is . Solid goaltending isn't standing on your head game after game while the team gives up the most shots in the league .

I don't give a damn whether Reims comes back but none of those goalies you mentioned would be an improvement over Reims .

A goalie is a part of the team and he's going to have off nights and slumps just like the players but if i had to grade our goalies performances compared to our skaters it's easy to say they were far more consistent .

How many complete efforts did this team have this year ? When some of us were saying this sporadic effort was going to cost us if our goalies cooled off people like you giggled and shrugged it off and refused to believe how poorly the team was playing . Well the goalies cooled off and the team went over the cliff and yet you still ignore the major problem was the team and not the goaltending .

Bernier comes back and it's easy to see he wasn't 100% . Did the team rally around their num 1 and try to put in a solid effort ? **** no , they played one of there worst games of the season and allowed 48 shots on net .

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Reimer's qualifying offer is 1.6 million.

It's a no brainer to give him a qualifying offer at 1.6 to retain his contract rights.

Then the Leafs can shop him for whatever picks they can get in return without signing him. Getting any picks for James is better then no picks.

Even well shopping Reimer they can bring in another backup at the same time and teams are allowed to go over the cap in the off-season.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He let in 4 goals against the Habs and leaving one the 2 top goal scorers in the league wide open is on the D .

Laughable performance against the wings ? He let in 3 goals in 31 shots and i believe only one before the 3rd period .The Det goalie let in a softy as well but going by our game threads it seems we think every goal we've scored this season was an unstoppable bullet .

I don't think you have a clue what solid goaltending is . Solid goaltending isn't standing on your head game after game while the team gives up the most shots in the league .

I don't give a damn whether Reims comes back but none of those goalies you mentioned would be an improvement over Reims .

A goalie is a part of the team and he's going to have off nights and slumps just like the players but if i had to grade our goalies performances compared to our skaters it's easy to say they were far more consistent .

How many complete efforts did this team have this year ? When some of us were saying this sporadic effort was going to cost us if our goalies cooled off people like you giggled and shrugged it off and refused to believe how poorly the team was playing . Well the goalies cooled off and the team went over the cliff and yet you still ignore the major problem was the team and not the goaltending .

Bernier comes back and it's easy to see he wasn't 100% . Did the team rally around their num 1 and try to put in a solid effort ? **** no , they played one of there worst games of the season and allowed 48 shots on net .

I know what solid goaltending is.

A goalie needs to be able to make timely saves and Reimer can't make those. I'm not talking about highlight reel saves. Just those saves when the other team has momentum. Reimer couldn't do it, at all. That's what killed us.

If you think Reimer was solid, I mean, I don't know what to tell you.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Terrible asset management if you don't at least offer him a qualifying offer. Then either trade his rights, trade him after he signs the qualifying offer or let someone offer sheet him. worse case scenario you have a back up goalie making less than 2mil for for another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad