News Article: COULD LEAFS LET REIMER WALK? TheFourthPeriod.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForSpareParts*

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor140504.html

Best quote:

"The Toronto Maple Leafs have to decide what route they want to take with goaltender James Reimer, who is set to become a restricted free agent July 1.
The Leafs must submit a qualifying offer on Reimer if they want to retain his rights, but an unnamed NHL executive told the Toronto Sun that might not be their best move.

"If I'm the Leafs, I don't make him a qualifying offer," the executive told the paper. "The reason, you can't get much for him in a trade. So by signing him, you're paying too much for a backup goalie and you may get stuck with the contact. I'd rather cut my losses, let him go, and sign a veteran to backup Jonathan Bernier."

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Let him walk so he can start his career in Italy with Justin Pogge.

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
someone will bite long before July 5. they won't have to worry about qualifying him themselves

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Possible but unlikely. They'll retain him and then either get him to sign a one year extension, which will bring him to free agency the following year, or simply to get traded.

Reimer didn't exactly light the world on fire when he was given the keys. The team sucked too but he wasn't that great either... so I don't think he has much leverage.

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
Let him walk.

Let's face it, he's got 0 value. Had all the chances in the world to make himself worth something, but he pretty much blew it. Let him walk and sign a steady backup this off-season.

crazyaces**

yes let a goalie with a 914% walk, because we will get a better back up in free agency and pay less right?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Well if the fourthperiod is reporting this, I'm quite certain we'll be qualifying him & trading his rights for a mid-pick.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If you can trade em - see ya.

If you can't, you qualify him and make him a backup.

If he plays well, you roll with him until his value is up enough to be traded. If he looks crappy, you play him the odd games like a backup and assess your options going forward.

No point dipping back into FA if aren't getting atleast a pick for Reimer.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I don't think Reimer would want to come back.
And I think it's time to part-ways. The 1a and 1b goalie thing just didn't work well, and James seemed frustrated

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wow. Hate this.

Can't say I am very surprised though.

I know, I figured he would at least get a job in the KHL, but the way he played at the end of the year, he likely played himself out of that league too

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs didn't have a 2nd round pick last year because of Bolland and don't have 2nd rounders in 2014 and 2015 because of trades for Bernier and Holland.

I would try and add Reimer + Leafs 3rd rounder to recover a 2nd round pick in 2014 or 2015.

Or Reimer and 4th for a 3rd rounder.

A qualifying offer for Reimer would be $1.8 mil matching his current salary and that indeed might be too much for a backup goalie expected to play 20 games at best.

Leafs have 11 players to sign and about $20 mil cap which equals about $1.8 mil per average which would be Reimer's QO.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I know, I figured he would at least get a job in the KHL, but the way he played at the end of the year, he likely played himself out of that league too

Bias hatred ruins your credibility Cor. Try again kiddo.

Oct 19, 2007
In a thread I made a couple months ago about the same topic, not one of the fans that responded wanted to keep Reimer.. I think that if they can't trade him for whatever before July 5, the fans would be happy to let him walk.His day in Toronto is over.

ForSpareParts*

Wow. Hate this.

Can't say I am very surprised though.

I do too. Leaf fans shouldn't rip Reims and Pogge for that matter. Reims did give his all when asked to be the starting goalie. I don't think he was deliberately losing at the end. He has his flaws, but he shouldn't be hated. Pogge lost his confidence when he got here, and maybe he was never as good as his billing. This happens to thousands of drafted players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad