News Article: COULD LEAFS LET REIMER WALK? TheFourthPeriod.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
this this this. people have such short term memories. I would be more than happy to re-sign him as a backup as long as he comes in around his current rate. we're not finding a better backup

there is this. what is to say that if the leafs go out and acquire a "backup only" netminder for next season, that bernier feels the pressure is off of him, not to mention, having a #1 sophomore slump?

there's a long list of goaltenders that have had great first seasons as starters to only end up in the goalie graveyard.

I'd much rather the leafs sit down with reimer, and go through the season, and the expectations (which i'm sure they did on the interviews post season) and manage the situation a bit better than they did.

Keeping the fire lit under bernier can't be a bad thing.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't be surprised. Goalie markets are fickle and with sooo many goalies available on the UFA market I can't seem to understand why anyone here thinks Reimer could fetch a 3rd round pick, let alone a 2nd.

Ps, re-signing him as a back-up is likely not an option. It takes two to tango and I definitely don't think Reimer wants to play for a Carlyle coached team.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
T's no guarantee with any player. That argument is just pointless.

Again, like I said, we can just as easily go through FA and find a more proven FA. Reimer backing up Bernier didn't work out well this season did it?

When did I say that there hasn't been? Talk about putting words in someones mouth. Through his play, and what he showed in the limited minutes, it wouldn't be detrimental to give him a chance. He would be playing 12-15 games if that.

No options in the AHL that are known. Garret Sparks and Chris Gibson are two solid kids, and with them having the net in the AHL, one may emerge, just like Reimer did.

I agree with the above that both Sparks and Gibson are solid and in fact better long term solutions than McIntyre as they both are technically sound and McIntyre is not and would be exposed in a hurry. I can not see us resigning McIntyre at all.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
This is the same guy that just last season was a hero for us, and even earlier this past season was playing darn good hockey.

He's still young with a decent career sv% and we can't even get a pick for him?

*Sigh*

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
If they let him walk he would most likely trip and fall all over himself the guy is a glorified piece of swiss cheese with a silver tongue. Once the fans in Toronto like you your skill is no longer in question that's one of the big problems in this market.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor140504.html

Best quote:

"The Toronto Maple Leafs have to decide what route they want to take with goaltender James Reimer, who is set to become a restricted free agent July 1.
The Leafs must submit a qualifying offer on Reimer if they want to retain his rights, but an unnamed NHL executive told the Toronto Sun that might not be their best move.

"If I'm the Leafs, I don't make him a qualifying offer," the executive told the paper. "The reason, you can't get much for him in a trade. So by signing him, you're paying too much for a backup goalie and you may get stuck with the contact. I'd rather cut my losses, let him go, and sign a veteran to backup Jonathan Bernier."

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Better is pretty debatable at this point. You can say he's better then MacIntyre, but there are other options through free agency that would be better choices then bringing Reimer back and dealing with another season of that drama.

The media is creating the drama, James showed nothing but professionalism all year.

James is the better goalie, 95 minutes of NHL action for Macintyre won't change my mind in that regard, and his AHL success won't neither.

All this is moot though, because I'm almost certain James will want out after what happened with his wife through the social networking feeds, and the Randy Carlyle factor.. It's too bad, he'd be one of the better back ups in the league..

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
One GM who wants him...

Is advising the Leafs through the media to let him walk. Thanks for the advice pal now Pi## off! and Go run your own team.We have to stop giving players away for nothing, Bernier still hasn't proved he can handle the load of a number one and we need a decent backup anyway. We resign him and give him a new coach and some defense, then if we get a good offer we trade him.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
not qualifying him would be really dumb even if the best you could do in trade is a 7th rounder... and this rumour suggests that once you qualify him he will sign it, which isn't true, you just have to give the offer to retain his rights, you can then negotiate a contract over the summer. so even if we had to wait till mid-august to find a team to trade him to he can still be unsigned by that point, and let the other team sign him. it's an unlikely scenario, but if teams are not willing to pay him 1.8 or w/e his qualifying offer is, he can negotiate a lower salary so teams would be interested in acquiring him if he really wants out of Toronto. there's nothing that says once you offer him the qualifying offer that the player will take that.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
He can get a late 2nd or 3rd for sure. I'd say Conditional 2nd, condition being based on wins.

There's alot of goalies on the market sure, but once top guys like Hiller get signed, there will be more interest in him, and he's a cheap solution.

my bets are calgary or NYI.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
:shakehead

Justin Pogge just signed a 2-year deal with Farjestad BK in the SHL after playing very well in the 2nd tier Allsvenskan, also in Sweden.

last I checked he was in Italy, sorry I don't keep track of what Justin Pogge is doing :laugh:

Besides, it was a joke.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
It might've been said already, but of course another NHL executive would say this. It's better for his team if Reimer is just let go. If they want Reimer, they don't have to pay assets to get him. Even if they don't want him, that means Toronto gets nothing by letting him go.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
yes let a goalie with a 914% walk, because we will get a better back up in free agency and pay less right?

It has nothing to do with letting him walk because we may or may not find a backup, it had to do with if he is unhappy here, if he doesn't want to be a backup and doesn't want to play for Carlyle and go through another year of this. If he wants to move, try to accommodate him.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
A qualifying offer for Reimer would be $1.8 mil matching his current salary and that indeed might be too much for a backup goalie expected to play 20 games at best.
1.8 mil is too rich. Too Risky.
No qualifying offer please Shanny.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Seriously, if they let him walk, why did they not trade him when they could? Because they mis-read the team yet again and thought playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad