News Article: COULD LEAFS LET REIMER WALK? TheFourthPeriod.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I do too. Leaf fans shouldn't rip Reims and Pogge for that matter. Reims did give his all when asked to be the starting goalie. I don't think he was deliberately losing at the end. He has his flaws, but he shouldn't be hated. Pogge list his confidence when he got here, and maybe he was never as good as his billing. This happens to thousands of drafted players.

Comparing Reimer to Pogge is laughable and only the blindest of haters can come up with that comparison.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I'd accept his qualifying offer for $1.8 mil. It's not that high of a salary for a backup goalie, and there's a chance we can trade him for some actual value some time in the offseason, and there's even a chance he plays well, so that he can be traded at the deadline. He has the potential to play well, at least.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
No chance I let him walk. If you can trade him sure, otherwise qualify him and set him up to backup next year. He's an RFA so if he doesn't like that, well that's too bad.

Nothing against Reimer, but if he wanted to be traded he probably should have played well down the stretch. Need someone to play backup for Bernier, so might as well use the guy already there.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bias hatred ruins your credibility Cor. Try again kiddo.

I was joking about the whole, going to italy thing :laugh:

I am not a fan of Reimer, most know this. Drew MacIntyre looked better then him down the stretch, and Reimer got the ball rolling on our collapse (the game against Montreal namely).

Putting my feelings aside, Reimer almost certainly sees no future in this organization and won't want to return. His value is practically nothing, due to the fact that he had such a poor year and the goalie market is dry.

At this point, if we don't get an offer before June 29th or whatever, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to just cut him loose. Especially since it appears Carlyle will be back. We don't need a disgruntled player in the room.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I am not a fan of Reimer, most know this. Drew MacIntyre looked better then him down the stretch, and Reimer got the ball rolling on our collapse (the game against Montreal namely).

Putting my feelings aside, Reimer almost certainly sees no future in this organization and won't want to return. His value is practically nothing, due to the fact that he had such a poor year and the goalie market is dry.

At this point, if we don't get an offer before June 29th or whatever, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to just cut him loose. Especially since it appears Carlyle will be back. We don't need a disgruntled player in the room.

I can not see why we would not qualify him.....he will not get a raise at Arbitration so we risk very little....I say he will be moved before we have to make a decision in a package.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I can not see why we would not qualify him.....he will not get a raise at Arbitration so we risk very little....I say he will be moved before we have to make a decision in a package.

I agree that I think he will be moved before it comes to this, likely not for much however.

I'm just not sure if it is worth going into another season with the whole Bernier/Carlyle/Reimer saga, we have MacIntyre who can backup, or there are options in Free Agency we can look at.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

In the 95 minutes that he played?

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He has the value of a player on a one-year deal. An player in the last year of their RFA deal is not seen as cap-controlled anymore.

Sure he is, the team holds all the negotiating power with RFAs. If they wish to play hardball and demand a contract longer than 1 year, the player does not have much choice other than to sit out or accept a deal that cuts into his FA years. I don't think Reimer wants to sit out or miss training camp, considering his current circumstances.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

you don't know that - he could argue the fact that everyone knows - the Leafs flat out sucked defensively, so he could go with his numbers this year (with that well known stat) + his good numbers & playoff performance, requires X dollars.

it's the same reason why everyone thinks Franson is going to get paid in arbitration, due to the fact he's right handed and put up points.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
In the 95 minutes that he played?

Yeah. It's a small sample, but he looked better then Reimer, minus Reimer's game vs San Jose (I think).

If no team has offered anything for him come June 30th I see no harm in just allowing him to walk. It removes one of the many black clouds that is hovering over this organization (Not Reimer himself, but the whole saga)

Asset management is very important, but in this case, its one of those times where both sides just wash their hands and move on.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor140504.html

Best quote:

"The Toronto Maple Leafs have to decide what route they want to take with goaltender James Reimer, who is set to become a restricted free agent July 1.
The Leafs must submit a qualifying offer on Reimer if they want to retain his rights, but an unnamed NHL executive told the Toronto Sun that might not be their best move.

"If I'm the Leafs, I don't make him a qualifying offer," the executive told the paper. "The reason, you can't get much for him in a trade. So by signing him, you're paying too much for a backup goalie and you may get stuck with the contact. I'd rather cut my losses, let him go, and sign a veteran to backup Jonathan Bernier."

tough call actually. Reimer would qualify for 1.6M cap hit and a UFA is at least going to cost you around 1M and there's no guarantee a backup UFA is going to win you games either.

The leafs don't have any young netminder in the farm ready to shoulder workload (thanks biggs) I think the leafs are probably going to try to sign him for a year and this time, give him the expectations that he's the #2 and has to fight for starts.

Start off the season with a little more measured of expectations and see where the season goes.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
A lot of the time, I start reading comments on a thread thinking: "Oh, those are just fringe idiots, eventually people who haven't lost their marbles will start making comments about this..."

Yet I never seem to learn...

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Yeah. It's a small sample, but he looked better then Reimer, minus Reimer's game vs San Jose (I think).

If no team has offered anything for him come June 30th I see no harm in just allowing him to walk. It removes one of the many black clouds that is hovering over this organization (Not Reimer himself, but the whole saga)

Asset management is very important, but in this case, its one of those times where both sides just wash their hands and move on.

Mac is a UFA as well. yeah 95 versus 1700 minutes. good sample comparison.

I could cherry pick reimer for a 95 minute stretch i'm sure.

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
yes let a goalie with a 914% walk, because we will get a better back up in free agency and pay less right?

this this this. people have such short term memories. I would be more than happy to re-sign him as a backup as long as he comes in around his current rate. we're not finding a better backup

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Mac is a UFA as well. yeah 95 versus 1700 minutes. good sample comparison.

I could cherry pick reimer for a 95 minute stretch i'm sure.

That is an easy resign. Would cost us 1M max.

Even Tomas Griess is out there who is a real solid backup would only cost us 1.5M if that.

Its not even just 95 minutes. Look at his play in the AHL the past two seasons.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Even Tomas Griess is out there who is a real solid backup would only cost us 1.5M if that.

I'd rather pay the half million more for the better, younger, and more experienced NHL goaltender. I would assume that's a no brainer for the majority of Leafs nation.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I agree that I think he will be moved before it comes to this, likely not for much however.

I'm just not sure if it is worth going into another season with the whole Bernier/Carlyle/Reimer saga, we have McIntyre who can backup, or there are options in Free Agency we can look at.

McIntyre in my opinion is not an NHL goalie and not an option as a back up....free agency will yield a better option. I think Reimer is very trade-able but the return will not be high.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Sure he is, the team holds all the negotiating power with RFAs. If they wish to play hardball and demand a contract longer than 1 year, the player does not have much choice other than to sit out or accept a deal that cuts into his FA years. I don't think Reimer wants to sit out or miss training camp, considering his current circumstances.

They can control his contract for this off-season only, it's not as an attractive options as a Peter Holland type player for example. My point is that it doesn't substantially add to his value at the end of the day. IMO he'll get anywhere between a 3rd-5th pick

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
The leafs can tell reimer to shut it if they want, they've got all the negotiating power. I'm sure i team like the jets will offer something for him, guy can still be a number 1 imo.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

there's no guarantee that Bernier will be able to repeat last season. you sure you want a goaltender with 95 minutes of NHL experience backing him up - with no credible options in the AHL?

yeah and no goaltender has had success in the AHL and couldn't handle the NHL - ever.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'd rather pay the half million more for the better, younger, and more experienced NHL goaltender. I would assume that's a no brainer for the majority of Leafs nation.

Better is pretty debatable at this point. You can say he's better then MacIntyre, but there are other options through free agency that would be better choices then bringing Reimer back and dealing with another season of that drama.

McIntyre in my opinion is not an NHL goalie and not an option as a back up....free agency will yield a better option. I think Reimer is very trade-able but the return will not be high.

I think he could be a backup, he would by no means be a top notch backup, but he could do it. I would also like to go through free agency as well though.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
They will qualify him or trade his rights, it would be beyond reason to let him walk. I assume the unknown source is his agent.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
there's no guarantee that Bernier will be able to repeat last season. you sure you want a goaltender with 95 minutes of NHL experience backing him up - with no credible options in the AHL?

yeah and no goaltender has had success in the AHL and couldn't handle the NHL - ever.

T's no guarantee with any player. That argument is just pointless.

Again, like I said, we can just as easily go through FA and find a more proven FA. Reimer backing up Bernier didn't work out well this season did it?

When did I say that there hasn't been? Talk about putting words in someones mouth. Through his play, and what he showed in the limited minutes, it wouldn't be detrimental to give him a chance. He would be playing 12-15 games if that.

No options in the AHL that are known. Garret Sparks and Chris Gibson are two solid kids, and with them having the net in the AHL, one may emerge, just like Reimer did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad