Speculation: Could Karlsson come back to Ottawa?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This columnist, Jon Heyman, tweeted on Monday that Karlsson deal is being finalized. He has been breaking a lot of MLB deals. I can’t find the tweet so he must have deleted it…

Isn't that the guy who said Aaron Judge was going to the Giants?

I think it was probably a photoshop joke post.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
plus/minus seriously, have you seen the team he plays on?

and what's Brady, Chabot, Stutzle, Batherson, Debrincat's excuse for being minus players considering they mostly play with each other?
You 're the one using the quotes saying "he is taking over games" and "carrying the team on his back". That implies he is dominating games but his stats and the team's record suggest otherwise. He's scoring a lot of points and looking really good offensively but he's still on the ice for more goals against than his team is scoring.

Reactions: Laphroaig and DJB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Seems reasonable as Pittsburgh is in a "win now" "spend to the cap" mode and we are in a "play meaningful games" in March-April 2023 mode. :)

Putting together a high quality organization and team has not been the goal or modus operandi of this organization for quite a few years now.
I'd like to see the Pens get Kane for the playoffs

Reactions: Cosmix

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Depending on retention, I'd do that if I'm the Oilers. Connor McDavid is turning 26 in a month, Draisatil is 27. They have 3-4 years, max, left in their window before those guys are out. Neither will play their 30's in Edmonton if they don't have at least 1 cup. And even then, it's very unlikely.

Barrie (cap dump) + Puljujarvi (useless and cap dump) + 2 lotto protected 1sts + a decent but not great prospect for a 25-40% retained Karlsson? Absolutely.

With that said, I don't think he's waiving to go there.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Depending on retention, I'd do that if I'm the Oilers. Connor McDavid is turning 26 in a month, Draisatil is 27. They have 3-4 years, max, left in their window before those guys are out. Neither will play their 30's in Edmonton if they don't have at least 1 cup. And even then, it's very unlikely.

Barrie (cap dump) + Puljujarvi (useless and cap dump) + 2 lotto protected 1sts + a decent but not great prospect for a 25-40% retained Karlsson? Absolutely.

I think Karlsson might accept a trade to a SC contender.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

No brainer for Edmonton in their situation imo. How else are they going to draw elite talent to help out?

Karlsson at only 7-8 mil is a good deal and he obviously replaces Barrie in the lineup and brings so much more on the ice. Puljujarvi is a waste of a roster spot and purely a cap dump. Picks are lotto protected and likely to be mid to late round. A decent prospect.

All while having a ticking clock on those two generational players.

If SJ is retaining 25-40% then they should absolutely be getting a decent return.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
You 're the one using the quotes saying "he is taking over games" and "carrying the team on his back". That implies he is dominating games but his stats and the team's record suggest otherwise. He's scoring a lot of points and looking really good offensively but he's still on the ice for more goals against than his team is scoring.

because a defenceman who plays on a bad team will almost always have a bad +/-. and when they go to a good team you think its magic they will have a good +/-?

and he is taking over games, more than any of our players. watch the games instead of relying on minus stat and you'll see.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
because a defenceman who plays on a bad team will almost always have a bad +/-. and when they go to a good team you think its magic they will have a good +/-?

and he is taking over games, more than any of our players. watch the games instead of relying on minus stat and you'll see.
So what though? He did that here as well. The point is their team sucks, and isn’t winning games no matter how much he takes over. Our team isn’t winning games either.

We aren’t an EK and the assets to get him along with salary constraints away from being much better.

He isn’t coming here for a ton of common sense reasons. Nostalgia reasons are sky high, but for where we’re at what he costs, and his salary length and hit, it’s just not a fit.

We also don’t need him, we need solid defenders to play with Chabot, Sanderson and Branstrom, not yet another dynamic offensive D man if if he is having a great year.

Cool dream, but not something to get defensive over since it’s not going to happen.

Reactions: DueDiligence

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
Is Karlsson gonna agree to go anywhere but here? Maybe he will just wait it out until the possibility of a trade home. When Alfie and Ryan Reynolds are in control it should be possible.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Hmmmmm Chabot's a minus 2 and Zub is a minus 1 on an equally bad team with far less offensive stats. Your argument is full of holes.
I'd be happy to take on Karlsson if he came with a $6 million cap hit for 2 years. But no way with his current contract.

Reactions: Laphroaig

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Is Karlsson gonna agree to go anywhere but here? Maybe he will just wait it out until the possibility of a trade home. When Alfie and Ryan Reynolds are in control it should be possible.
He made the decision to leave Ottawa to go to the San Fran bay area already, so hard to say.

This topic is being beaten to death. :deadhorse

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He made the decision to leave Ottawa to go to the San Fran bay area already, so hard to say.

This topic is being beaten to death. :deadhorse
Sort of. He wasn't offered a contract that had any chance of keeping him in Ottawa, or at least that seemed to be his claim in that interview.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sort of. He wasn't offered a contract that had any chance of keeping him in Ottawa, or at least that seemed to be his claim in that interview.
Could be. I was just pointing out that EK got his wife to buy in to a move before. I am not in EKs or his wife's mind of course.

No idea in some respects why I keep posting about a potential EK trade. If he gets traded here, I'll be cheering him on for sure. And, its getting old and tiring talking about it, yet I keep posting. Its an enigma to me LOL.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Could be. I was just pointing out that EK got his wife to buy in to a move before. I am not in EKs or his wife's mind of course.

No idea in some respects why I keep posting about a potential EK trade. If he gets traded here, I'll be cheering him on for sure. And, its getting old and tiring talking about it, yet I keep posting. Its an enigma to me LOL.
Haha well maybe if people like me would drop it you wouldn't get dragged into it.

I am big on nostalgia and have spent too much time pursuing it, which I'm sure plays in to this a bit. My wife tells me its a problem, so take that fwiw lol.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Haha well maybe if people like me would drop it you wouldn't get dragged into it.

I am big on nostalgia and have spent too much time pursuing it, which I'm sure plays in to this a bit. My wife tells me its a problem, so take that fwiw lol.
Nah, you're OK. I enjoy your posts and demeanor. You're always respectful and I can understand what you are talking about. So, both of those things are big in my books.

I can't blame anyone for being nostalgic either. I am too I think. At least I spend a lot of time thinking about things that happened in the past and much more so than thinking about the future. Maybe it's a function of age. IDK.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I know this has been discussed a million times but I figure it's the topic at hand so maybe we can discuss it anyway.

If Karlsson's goal was to put as much money in the bank as possible, mission accomplished.
If Karlsson's goal was to go to a competitive team, mission failed spectacularly.

If it's true that Ottawa had offered him $10M AAV, I bet there's a part of him that regrets how things have played out. He left a team where he was a hero/god to end up on a basement dweller, underperforming and playing out an anchor of a contract that can't be traded without some extremely creative accounting.

His story should be a cautionary tale to every athlete who doesn't want to just play out the string, collecting a paycheck on a bottom feeder, living out the best years of your career and life without inspiration.

Again, if the goal was money, then none of what I said matters. But I genuinely don't believe there's many athletes out there in it for just the money. To be that good, you need to have a competitive urge inside of you that supercedes almost everything else. And when you have that kind of natural competitiveness, I would find it hard to believe that you're only in it for a paycheck. But I could be wrong about that.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Nah, you're OK. I enjoy your posts and demeanor. You're always respectful and I can understand what you are talking about. So, both of those things are big in my books.

I can't blame anyone for being nostalgic either. I am too I think. At least I spend a lot of time thinking about things that happened in the past and much more so than thinking about the future. Maybe it's a function of age. IDK.
Well thanks! Same to you. I try to be respectful although I probably wasn't to a couple here at the worst of times during our Melnyk arguments. I've always been comfortable in hard conversations and won't run from my comments, good or bad, and I think it's important to remember that we're just as likely to break bread in real life with those we disagree with about hockey online as we are those we do agree with. It's interesting that as we came out of the fog of a bit of Melnyk's tenure, I found myself disagreeing with poster's opinions more and more that seemed like I used to always agree with.

You are probably right that chasing nostalgia is an age induced phenomenon more often than not. I found once I hit that point in life the dreams are dead, family members passing away, realizations about the world and humans, being able to buy things that used to be put on a pedestal, it becomes a bit of chasing "the good old days" sort of thing. Music, movies, friends, home environment, etc. That said, I wouldn't trade anything for the time now with my son, so so be it.
I know this has been discussed a million times but I figure it's the topic at hand so maybe we can discuss it anyway.

If Karlsson's goal was to put as much money in the bank as possible, mission accomplished.
If Karlsson's goal was to go to a competitive team, mission failed spectacularly.

If it's true that Ottawa had offered him $10M AAV, I bet there's a part of him that regrets how things have played out. He left a team where he was a hero/god to end up on a basement dweller, underperforming and playing out an anchor of a contract that can't be traded without some extremely creative accounting.

His story should be a cautionary tale to every athlete who doesn't want to just play out the string, collecting a paycheck on a bottom feeder, living out the best years of your career and life without inspiration.

Again, if the goal was money, then none of what I said matters. But I genuinely don't believe there's many athletes out there in it for just the money. To be that good, you need to have a competitive urge inside of you that supercedes almost everything else. And when you have that kind of natural competitiveness, I would find it hard to believe that you're only in it for a paycheck. But I could be wrong about that.
I was meaning more his claim about how he believed they would just trade him right away, implying the ever important NTC/NMC wasn't an inclusion, thus not even in the ballpark of acceptable, especially with an accompanying discount and we're left to guess about bonus structure.

I would probably agree with a lot of your thoughts here, but I think a big factor is probably Alfie. He clearly thinks very low of Melnyk, that much seems very clear and him and Karl are thick as thieves. Right or wrong, Alfie felt like he got screwed and would barely even touch Melnyk's name even after his passing. I personally think there was a lot of disdain for Melnyk there, and I think a lot of that was probably passed along to Karlsson and it became a bad blood situation for him too. I just don't think it was ever as simple as a bottom dollar value as the sticking point. That said, I'm sure he regrets the landing spot he went to and re-upping for so long. That team stinks and was barely hanging on not long after his arrival.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

At the time of the trade, the Sharks previous 3 seasons were:

17/18 - 100pts + 2nd round
16/17 - 99pts + 1st round
15/16 - 98pts + SCF

The year he got there, they finished with 101 points and made it to WCF.

At the time, nobody predicted that San Jose would bottom out that quickly. Should they have? Probably. If you looked closer at their roster construction and salary structure, the signs were there. But they had been one of the most consistent franchises over the previous 10 years, had one of the richest owners in the NHL, and spent to the cap every year.

Erik Karlsson and his agent believed that they were getting money AND a chance to compete for the cup every year.

It didn't work out that way, but that's pro sports. It happens in every league. Nobody predicted the Rams to be one of the worst teams in the NFL the year after winning the Superbowl. But that's where they are. I bet some free-agents are kicking themselves.

The reality is, there is no franchise that guarantees winning. So regardless of where a player goes, there's huge risk when signing an 8 year contract. That's AGES in sports. Anything could happen in that span.

But back in 17/18, nobody would have thought Ottawa would be a better place to win compared to San Jose. And even with San Jose becoming a basement dweller, they still would have been right. We're also a basement dweller, and there are no objective observers who think we're even close to competing, either.

Does Karlsson regret leaving today? Maybe. If he knew the team would be up for sale so (relatively) quickly after his departure, he might have re-considered. But back then, everybody expected Melnyk to remain the owner for the forseeable future. And regardless of who anyone thinks was in the right or wrong, that relationship was irreparable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Zub

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
At the time of the trade, the Sharks previous 3 seasons were:

17/18 - 100pts + 2nd round
16/17 - 99pts + 1st round
15/16 - 98pts + SCF

The year he got there, they finished with 101 points and made it to WCF.

At the time, nobody predicted that San Jose would bottom out that quickly. Should they have? Probably. If you looked closer at their roster construction and salary structure, the signs were there. But they had been one of the most consistent franchises over the previous 10 years, had one of the richest owners in the NHL, and spent to the cap every year.

Erik Karlsson and his agent believed that they were getting money AND a chance to compete for the cup every year.

It didn't work out that way, but that's pro sports. It happens in every league. Nobody predicted the Rams to be one of the worst teams in the NFL the year after winning the Superbowl. But that's where they are. I bet some free-agents are kicking themselves.

The reality is, there is no franchise that guarantees winning. So regardless of where a player goes, there's huge risk when signing an 8 year contract. That's AGES in sports. Anything could happen in that span.

But back in 17/18, nobody would have thought Ottawa would be a better place to win compared to San Jose. And even with San Jose becoming a basement dweller, they still would have been right. We're also a basement dweller, and there are no objective observers who think we're even close to competing, either.

Does Karlsson regret leaving today? Maybe. If he knew the team would be up for sale so (relatively) quickly after his departure, he might have re-considered. But back then, everybody expected Melnyk to remain the owner for the forseeable future. And regardless of who anyone thinks was in the right or wrong, that relationship was irreparable.
There were some people here that predicted it at the time, so you know it was on the radar for the pros.

It was a very Tavares like trade for SJ, made little sense in terms of their roster, but a ton of sense in terms of spending a whack of money to make a splash.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
There were some people here that predicted it at the time, so you know it was on the radar for the pros.

It was a very Tavares like trade for SJ, made little sense in terms of their roster, but a ton of sense in terms of spending a whack of money to make a splash.
I thought for sure Burns would be used as a trade chip for a forward after they brought in Karlsson.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Not really. At the time of the trade, San Jose had:

Tomas Hertl age 24
Timo Meier age 21
Evander Kane age 27
Kevin Labanc age 22
Logan Couture age 29

Karlsson was supposed to take over the superstar offensive catalyst role from Thornton, and the team was supposed to keep rolling.

It wasn't a team on its last legs. Obviously didn't work out how they envisioned, but they thought they had a core that would compete for the next 5 years. Unfortunately for them, Labanc plateaued and then regressed. Meier didn't turn into who they thought he'd be. Kane did Kane things. Karlsson wasn't able to recover from his injury all that well.

But there was decent logic there, at the time.

But there are no guarantees. We acquired DeBrincat thinking we'd be in the mix. Instead, we're in 27th. We acquired Duchene thinking he was a missing piece. We tanked the second he got here.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad