Speculation: Could Karlsson come back to Ottawa?

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016

Rumors about a potential Karlsson trade back to Ottawa have sparked a lot of debate about our former captain.

I think Karlsson was a good leader in terms of competitiveness and strategy. Like someone else said Karlsson is a system in himself. He comes with a game plan.

It's possible he was a bit of a diva. The only thing we really know is that his feud with Hoffman destroyed that respective team. It's tough to verify what actually happened.

Right or wrong. I'm sure Karlsson has learned some lessons. He got the boot from the franchise he thought he'd be with forever. He had to eat major humble pie. I imagine he'd be more inclined to stay in his lane if he came back.

I have been following this team since I was like 10. He's the best player I ever watched. I'd be psyched to have him back. The past is the past.

Reactions: saskytaxi

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Do Ottawa Senators fans have a saviour complex? Legit question.

Melnyck was treated like a saviour and still was on his death even though he crapped all over the city, it’s residents and his own hockey team

Alfie is the real saviour - we know that.

Karlsson is the heir apparent saviour. I’d love him to come back, but he won’t turn the franchise around - I think that’s just part of our small market mentality that with the threats to move from all ownership groups I think we feel this franchise needs a superhero every 5-10 years to come and legitimize it’s existence.

Saviour complex in the fanbase - when all we need is a goalie, a coach, a GM, and a RD

4 good phone calls and the franchise is completely turned around (Yzerman, Cooper, Vasilevki, Hedman)

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
This team needs a massive turnaround wether it be Karlsson or something but its going into the wall rn

Again

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
After this season he still makes $44 million over 4 years. I'm not sure we want that type of commitment.
He's owed about $40.5M over 4.75 years (cash) if we trade for him right now. That's about $8.5M per season pro rated. Cap is $11.5 M

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Love the Karlsson resurgence, not sure he is feasible unless SJ takes 50% and Ottawa doesn’t give up a top prospect like Grieg. At least not in-season, dust needs to clear wrt Zub and Cat long-term plans, not to mention paydays in the offing for NODAK boys Pinto and Sanderson.

Won’t get my expectations high up.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Love the Karlsson resurgence, not sure he is feasible unless SJ takes 50% and Ottawa doesn’t give up a top prospect like Grieg. At least not in-season, dust needs to clear wrt Zub and Cat long-term plans, not to mention paydays in the offing for NODAK boys Pinto and Sanderson.

Won’t get my expectations high up.
If you think SJ is going to trade a $5.75M karl and not expect a return substantially better than Ridley Greig, it's probably best that you don't get your hopes up.

Reactions: Agent Zub and ksens

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
Do Ottawa Senators fans have a saviour complex? Legit question.

Melnyck was treated like a saviour and still was on his death even though he crapped all over the city, it’s residents and his own hockey team

Alfie is the real saviour - we know that.

Karlsson is the heir apparent saviour. I’d love him to come back, but he won’t turn the franchise around - I think that’s just part of our small market mentality that with the threats to move from all ownership groups I think we feel this franchise needs a superhero every 5-10 years to come and legitimize it’s existence.

Saviour complex in the fanbase - when all we need is a goalie, a coach, a GM, and a RD

4 good phone calls and the franchise is completely turned around (Yzerman, Cooper, Vasilevki, Hedman)
Doesn't the fan base of pretty much every single team in the middle of several years of "blah" look for a saviour - that one player - that can turn things around. Sincerely doubt it's an Ottawa thing. Look at the leafs when they signed Tavares.

EK is my boy - figuratively ;) - but i'm not sure about four years for a guy whose game relies greatly on skating. For sure, what he would do right away is sell a few tickets and provide some help on the back end where, if nothing else, he can be the one-man breakout again. He could also actualy put a puck into the Cat's wheelhouse.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If you think SJ is going to trade a $5.75M karl and not expect a return substantially better than Ridley Greig, it's probably best that you don't get your hopes up.
I suspect that SJ would want our first round draft pick, unprotected, for 2023 to give us Karlsson with some salary retention. Dorion just might do it to retain his GM job.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
As much as I'd love to see it, I don't think he's the right play here to make for this team. The old squad was built around him, I just don't think he's the right one to fit what we need currently.
I feel like he would compliment our top 6 excellently. Imagine what him and Jimmy could do.

Reactions: Cosmix

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
the time to do this trade was pre murray being traded to toronto. We could have built a package around murray+zaitsev

now we do not have enough bad contracts to make an offer where we can relatively balance cap and not mess up our future cap either

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
The guy is on fire, you don't trade for him when his value is at the highest it has been in years. Not getting him for the Zietsev, B prospect stuff being thrown around.

I think you are looking at it the wrong way. SJ sees an opportunity to finally unload a contract, that up until this month, was 100% unmovable. Despite Karlssons strong play, SJ is still at the bottom of the standings and they would love to get the rebuild fully going. Trading Karlsson right now is their best option, and although they might play a little hardball, I think they would take whatever they could reasonably get for him.

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
I love Karlsson. He'd be a good patch right now, but that's all he would be. He'd cost us our future unless the cap gets raised monstrously.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think you are looking at it the wrong way. SJ sees an opportunity to finally unload a contract, that up until this month, was 100% unmovable. Despite Karlssons strong play, SJ is still at the bottom of the standings and they would love to get the rebuild fully going. Trading Karlsson right now is their best option, and although they might play a little hardball, I think they would take whatever they could reasonably get for him.

It's still fairly unmovable...unless there's a really stupid GM out there.

Two months of insane play is not enough of a sample size to say he's back. And that contract has 4 more seasons on it. You know the last two seasons (at least) that contract will be a killer. No way he lives up to it unless he finds the real fountain of youth.

Don't get me wrong...I love the kid and hope he gets a miracle and plays like the king he is for the next 4 years....but it's just not a risk I'd want to take having that contract on this team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
the time to do this trade was pre murray being traded to toronto. We could have built a package around murray+zaitsev

now we do not have enough bad contracts to make an offer where we can relatively balance cap and not mess up our future cap either
I think SJ wants to reduce their cap and salary hits and acquire top prospects and picks for a rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad