Speculation: Could Karlsson come back to Ottawa?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That's fair. But one thing is that we will probably have a high pick and a chance at the lottery this year. If we get another Sanderson we could slowly fill out; but I get that we have a pretty solid team and might want to win now.

I think if we do go the route of trade I would rather someone like Chycrun or a younger guy, but probably so would every team.
I like the idea of bringing in a fix now and trading from a position of strength if we do end up with a logjam. You're right about us possibly getting a highly touted guy this draft, but I don't want to see this group go without while the prospect develops. Needs to be ready for next year.

I also like Chycrun, but the whole LD/RD thing makes me nervous and he won't come cheap. With Sandy and Chabot eating so much ice time on the left, Chycrun basically has to work on the right, which sounds like it didn't affect his underlying numbers positively when playing that side.

The whole Karlsson idea for me at least was predicated on him coming cheap, and the likelihood of Cat & Zub leaving, so it's a different story with his resurgence and SJ being able to expect a decent return.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Ya, got to give them credit given the injuries they have. I was more referring to the past.

They needed to address their blueline. It started by adding Muzzin which was a decent trade on their part. And when they added Giordano, that helped to solidify their blueline. But it took a few years to get there, and perhaps this is what help them back or was one of the main factors.

What I find ironic is that the Leafs are like an older version of the Senators i.e., late 90s to 2007. They have a good team, but fall short in the playoffs. Thankfully we won more playoff rounds than them though. The other similarity is we need to add to our defense just as the Leafs did a few years back.

I guess I'll always cry tears of joy when the Leafs bow out in the 1st round.
I too get quite an enjoyment out of not only watching the leaf's playoff failures but then also listening to analysts and radio hosts trying to make sense of it year after year.

Reactions: bert and Big Muddy

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
I like the idea of bringing in a fix now and trading from a position of strength if we do end up with a logjam. You're right about us possibly getting a highly touted guy this draft, but I don't want to see this group go without while the prospect develops. Needs to be ready for next year.

I also like Chycrun, but the whole LD/RD thing makes me nervous and he won't come cheap. With Sandy and Chabot eating so much ice time on the left, Chycrun basically has to work on the right, which sounds like it didn't affect his underlying numbers positively when playing that side.

The whole Karlsson idea for me at least was predicated on him coming cheap, and the likelihood of Cat & Zub leaving, so it's a different story with his resurgence and SJ being able to expect a decent return.
Hmm okay I didn't know Chychrun is a lefty. That might change things for getting Chychrun. I do hope some defenseman is added to help the really talented offensive group shine a bit brighter.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
New Question

Suppose we get Karlsson from the Sharks.

What do you think it's gonna cost us?

Picks/prospects or do we end up losing a core piece?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I too get quite an enjoyment out of not only watching the leaf's playoff failures but then also listening to analysts and radio hosts trying to make sense of it year after year.
I can't wait for it this year. I usually don't say anything because I believe it lacks class. However a few posters this year have changed that. Incredible levels of arrogance and pettiness from posters of that fan base. It's going to be glorious.

• Haha
Reactions: Norris4Norris

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He made the decision to leave Ottawa to go to the San Fran bay area already, so hard to say.

This topic is being beaten to death. :deadhorse
Given the choice, which he has, where would you prefer to spend your winters and summers? Winter and summer in Ottawa, or winter in NoCal and summers in Ottawa?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Imagine new ownership, Ryan Reynolds, Alfie as POHO, elite GM of our choice, Spezza AND Jacques Martins as AGMs. Philly, Neil, Redden, ect all here in the organization - and at some point in time they make a trade deadline deal for Karlsson, and then proceed to go on and win the cup. How good does that thought hit you in the feels?

I'm drunk but this would seriously be the greatest sports series/ongoing documentary of all time if done right. Which I believe it would be.

Point being, let's wait it out my peeps lol. For now.
The new Owner(s) are NOT going to hand over the POHO job to Alfredsson, he might get an interview, but the new Owner(s) will hire the best person for the job.
hiring Alfredsson would be virtue signalling, and there are other positions he could be hired for, POHO has to be filled by someone with a decent track record.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
New Question

Suppose we get Karlsson from the Sharks.

What do you think it's gonna cost us?

Picks/prospects or do we end up losing a core piece?
Pay "futures" for him. Draft picks might do it (#1 in 2023 and #2 in 2023), along with a current prospect or two that SJ might covet (Ostapchuk, Grieg, Boucher, Hamara, Kleven, JBD, Thomson).

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
They had Kadri. Who just had a better year than Tavares.
True, but at the time he was signed Tavares was considered the much better player and was highly sought after.

To add insult to injury Kadri was suspended for illegal hits 2 years in a row costing the leafs greatly.

I remember people just didn't ever think Kadri would be anything but a reckless goon so they traded him. In retrospect I am sure they would love to have him back.

But I remember Kadri got suspended from the playoffs his first year in Colorado, so it wasn't until the Stanley Cup run that he stopped the nonsensical suspensions and performed amazingly. Good for him, and good for Calgary,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad