Speculation: Could Eric Staal be on Canadiens' radar?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm sure there are 6-8 teams where DD would be a clear upgrade on their best offensive center, or would at least help give that team 2 offensive lines.

He wouldn't be a "clear" upgrade on any 1st line centre in the league currently. He's worth a 3rd line player, so yeah, if you're going to use him in that role, you can upgrade your team somewhat. He wouldn't be a centrepiece in an attempt to land Staal, however, goes without saying.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Like i said earlier you could have seven brothers there...
Losing Sucks.
I just can't picture ES quietly riding off into the sunset?

Some people are just comfortably numb and don't feel like uprooting. Look at Shane Doan. It's all ... relative.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Whenever there's a big name that's rumored to sign somewhere as a UFA or be traded during the season, both we and the leafs are always "rumored to be interested" just to generate some buzz. :laugh:

Asking price will be too high, Bergevin won't play ball.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
What would be the point though? The whole idea is to get better now and help Carolina for the future. This trade wouldn't benefit either team really...

Staal is 30 years old, I'm sure he has more then just a few seasons left in him. Point is we would be getting our #1 centerman in him, Pleks isn't. Both are signed the same lenght, if we are to let Pleks go after next season or trade him, I doubt we would do better via UFA

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Whenever there's a big name that's rumored to sign somewhere as a UFA or be traded during the season, both we and the leafs are always "rumored to be interested" just to generate some buzz. :laugh:

Doesn't even matter that the guy has a NTC, is making too much money or that there might be a host of other reasons that would motivate someone in his position not to want to uproot. This is the kind of stuff that keeps a multitude of no-name brand Habs speculation sites up and running.

And to think the Habs feel inclined to sucker fans in, to perpetuate their "brand" worldwide, by having the fans do their work for them. These fake trade sites are a prime example of the Habs getting free advert and net presence, in what is a thinly-disguised excuse for "journalism". There is nothing newsworthy about "Along The Boards".

On to the next Dreger rumor about an Ontario player who needs to come "home" and let's see if we can get some Habs mileage out of it. :sarcasm:

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Staal is a good player for sure but I cant' stand him, would never want to cheer for him but hey it's not up to me. He is on the decline a little bit and I just hate the way he plays, he is not a smart player always taking stupid undisiplined penalty's at least when he plays montreal.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
If you're addressing a HF Habs crowd, I'd venture DD is as close as you'll get to a player needing to be jettisoned.

What the HF boards crowd say is largerly irrelevant.

Eller has the "moar biggar" thing going for him and we all know how that plays on a fanbase that has had to suffer the ridicule of midgetry for the better part of a decade.

So the fanbase is biaised against DD because Eller is big, and we've had too many midgets before.

Don't want to turn this into a DD thread, but no other team would use him as the Habs are, so conceivably he's not as valuable as some here make him out to be. However, if there is a team that values DD so highly, where do we sign.

The Habs have too many midgets, which is why they let their midget center play on the first line. Very logic... Or could it be because he's a smart and capable offensive center, something Eller has never been with any kind of consistency.

Ok I see the retort coming : ''Eller plays fewer minutes with bad linemates while Desharnais plays with Pacioretty''

Then why was 23 year old rookie Desharnais playing on the fourth line with guys like Tom Pyatt, White and Pouliot (when he was super lucky) more productive (0.5ppg) than 24 year old 4th year player Eller (0.34PPG last season)? Eller played more minutes, usually with better players. Eller has great tools but that doesn't mean he's a better offensive player, this is not uncommon : a ton of star players are either smaller, weaker and\or slower than Eller.

I like Eller, he's useful because he's strong, smart and can score a few points but if I want the team to take the lead I'd rather see Desharnais on the ice.

Eller is probably still more valuable than Desharnais to an extent, but unless he finally proves he can be more than a 3rd liner that might change.

Now back to Eric Staal - I'm sure Carolina would prefer a center that has proven he can produce points to a guy who hasn't.

DJ Breadman said:
Staal is a good player for sure but I cant' stand him, would never want to cheer for him but hey it's not up to me. He is on the decline a little bit and I just hate the way he plays, he is not a smart player always taking stupid undisiplined penalty's at least when he plays montreal.

You don't like him because he's not playing for the Habs. Had he been drafted by us somehow he would have pretty much been our best forward for 10 consecutive years, so I'm sure a lot would be forgiven. Subban and Gallagher get tons of penalties too and I'm sure you like them ;)

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think Staal is a little past the best before date. I know he's still young but his best days are behind him.

Maybe a change of scenary in a building with some emotion would help rejuvenate him, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to bet the farm of prospects and picks on that bet.

If the price was right, i.e. Eller/DD, Pateryn/Nygren/small forward prospect and a 1st, maybe a 3rd line roster player or something like that and I'd jump at it. Just think of what guys like Spezza, Neal etc have been traded for. One or two good, not great prospects and some depth. That's all I'd be willing to pay. Carolina would have to eat some salary as well to absorb that salary coming our way and we have more room than most contenders or potential trade partners like the Leafs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What the HF boards crowd say is largerly irrelevant.

So ... that puts what you just wrote, into proper perspective.

So the fanbase is biaised against DD because Eller is big, and we've had too many midgets before.

Not saying everyone feels that way, there is a contingent or a recurring element.

The Habs have too many midgets, which is why they let their midget center play on the first line. Very logic... Or could it be because he's a smart and capable offensive center, something Eller has never been with any kind of consistency.

How MT chooses to use his players, is irrelevant to your argument about DD. Bouillon was playing with Subban and on the PP at one point last year, what should we be reading into that? Again, don't want to turn this into a DD thread, but was just responding to a poster who claimed that it would take "minimum" DD as consideration in a package for Staal, as opposed to Eller. It's an opinion, FWIW.

Ok I see the retort coming : ''Eller plays fewer minutes with bad linemates while Desharnais plays with Pacioretty''

Actually, the only retort coming, is that we've beaten the Eller vs. DD thing to death. Why perpetuate it here? Again, the distinction came from a poster, upstream.

Then why was 23 year old rookie Desharnais playing on the fourth line with guys like Tom Pyatt, White and Pouliot (when he was super lucky) more productive (0.5ppg) than 24 year old 4th year player Eller (0.34PPG last season)? Eller played more minutes, usually with better players. Eller has great tools but that doesn't mean he's a better offensive player, this is not uncommon : a ton of star players are either smaller, weaker and\or slower than Eller.

Well ... you're entitled to be a DD fan, but this is a Staal thread. Suit yourself.

I like Eller, he's useful because he's strong, smart and can score a few points but if I want the team to take the lead I'd rather see Desharnais on the ice.

Again, who cares. Neither player is a first line centre. Staal is.

Eller is probably still more valuable than Desharnais to an extent, but unless he finally proves he can be more than a 3rd liner that might change.

Pining to be DD's biographer, by any chance? :sarcasm:

Now back to Eric Staal - (...)

Whatever gave you that idea? :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I doubt it, although Carolina is an obvious candidate for rebuilding.

Funny Eric's name popped up on our board as trade fodder the day after Jordan went down.
His name also came up on numerous occasions in that hilarious "MT says Something Big" thread.
Now two weeks later this...? TSN 690 front and center on both.

Sure.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
If the price is right, I would take Staal. Not many wouldn't. He is an obvious upgrade to pretty much all our C's, including the 'current' Galch. I would trade any of our C's for Staal, minus Galch. I presume the price would be too high, so don't have much hope to see him in Montreal but the idea is a nice one for sure.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Funny Eric's name popped up on our board as trade fodder the day after Jordan went down.
His name also came up on numerous occasions in that hilarious "MT says Something Big" thread.
Now two weeks later this...? TSN 690 front and center on both.

Sure.

They're not alone. This other site, whose name rhymes with "couilles lisses", is routinely lifting links, pics and stories from HF. Basically, we're all acting like a bunch of aggregators for websites that earn advert money for merely reposting what others here have dug up or even, concocted.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They're not alone. This other site, whose name rhymes with "couilles lisses", is routinely lifting links, pics and stories from HF. Basically, we're all acting like a bunch of aggregators for websites that earn advert money for merely reposting what others here have dug up or even, concocted.

Well it's sure to get a rise seeing it already has legs...

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
couple of points...

E. Staal can be had for cheap at this point for two reasons:

1. his contract expires next year and he becomes a UFA.
2. his considerable $9M plus salary and $8M plus cap hit

These two points severely cripple Carolina's bargaining power as it limits trading partners. Only a contending team with some cap space and movable assets would be able to deal in this case.

I could see Montreal moving something like Eller, Bourque and a Patyern for E. Staal.

Would make sense capwise for both teams with Carolina then moving Bourque for some salary relief.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
couple of points...

E. Staal can be had for cheap at this point for two reasons:

1. his contract expires next year and he becomes a UFA.
2. his considerable $9M plus salary and $8M plus cap hit

These two points severely cripple Carolina's bargaining power as it limits trading partners. Only a contending team with some cap space and movable assets would be able to deal in this case.

I could see Montreal moving something like Eller, Bourque and a Patyern for E. Staal.

Would make sense capwise for both teams with Carolina then moving Bourque for some salary relief.

Given Carolina's position I suspect they will want to ravage the Habs tier 1 prospect pool. I think you're looking at JDLR, Scherbak, and one of our young blueliners. If I am Francis there is no way I am taking what's written in bold.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Staal is 30 years old, I'm sure he has more then just a few seasons left in him. Point is we would be getting our #1 centerman in him, Pleks isn't. Both are signed the same lenght, if we are to let Pleks go after next season or trade him, I doubt we would do better via UFA
Why would Carolina want Pleks? And if we want to win now why would we want to trade him?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'm bored and going to have some unrealistic fun.

:canes

Desharnais
Tinordi
Moen
1st

:habs

Eric Staal

:edmonton

Eller
Patyern

:habs

Perron

--------------------------

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Jiri Sekac ($0.925m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Manny Malhotra ($0.850m) / Dale Weise ($1.025m)
Michael Bournival ($0.660m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Nathan Beaulieu ($0.925m) / P.K. Subban ($9.000m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Tom Gilbert ($2.800m)
Alexei Emelin ($4.100m) / Mike Weaver ($1.750m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.638m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Dustin Tokarski ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
NaN
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15 crunched using simulation date of 2014-10-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; BONUSES: $3,470,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $686,582

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad