Speculation: Could Eric Staal be on Canadiens' radar?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He wouldn't be a "clear" upgrade on any 1st line centre in the league currently. He's worth a 3rd line player, so yeah, if you're going to use him in that role, you can upgrade your team somewhat. He wouldn't be a centrepiece in an attempt to land Staal, however, goes without saying.

There are 5 teams which it would be a no brainer upgrade on their top center currently. Not sure where you get your BS about the 3rd line. Ideally he's a #2 on a team, but not every team has a #1 or even high end #2 center. Buffalo's #1 center so far has been Ennis, now they are shifting Hodgson to C. Phoenix uses a guy who should be a #3 in Hanzal. Florida has no real true #1 or 2. Calgary has a bunch of #3's and a decent #2, that's it. NJ has no true offensive center, Zajac and Henrique should be #2's at best. Bozak should be a #3. Nashville is using Ribeiro who is unreliable(off ice issues).

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
couple of points...

E. Staal can be had for cheap at this point for two reasons:

1. his contract expires next year and he becomes a UFA.
2. his considerable $9M plus salary and $8M plus cap hit

These two points severely cripple Carolina's bargaining power as it limits trading partners. Only a contending team with some cap space and movable assets would be able to deal in this case.

I could see Montreal moving something like Eller, Bourque and a Patyern for E. Staal.

Would make sense capwise for both teams with Carolina then moving Bourque for some salary relief.

You're wayyy out in left field if you think Staal can be had for cheap.

The thing that increases Carolina's bargaining power exponentially is that #1 centers are very rare and rarely available, plus he's willing to stay and sign with them. They have no reason to try and move him, he is their cornerstone player...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There are 5 teams which it would be a no brainer upgrade on their top center currently. Not sure where you get your BS about the 3rd line.

Not sure why you always have to make disparaging comments. How about your BS -- where does it come from? You have huge hard-on for DD, get over yourself, he doesn't matter as much as you think he does.

Ideally he's a #2 on a team (...)

:laugh:

Good luck getting a return concomitant with that kind of imaginary valuation.

Anyways, this is about Staal. You've more than made a brand for yourself peppering every thread with DD infatuation. Let's move on.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Not sure why you always have to make disparaging comments. How about your BS -- where does it come from? You have huge hard-on for DD, get over yourself, he doesn't matter as much as you think he does.

:laugh:

Good luck getting a return concomitant with that kind of imaginary valuation.

Anyways, this is about Staal. You've more than made a brand for yourself peppering every thread with DD infatuation. Let's move on.

If anybody has a hard on it's the HF Boards hard liners that get all lathered up with their opinions and can't hear anything but. You guys are so obsessed about Desharnais' size that you completely overlook his qualities and contributions. Go do the cumulative numbers the last 3 years on NHL centers and let's see where he ranks for points and assists.

About Staal, people need to stop with the BS lowball packages, Carolina isn't even shopping him and he's their franchise player, so any offer without Galchenyuk/Pacioretty/Price/Subban or a massive overpayment(Fucale + DLR + Beaulieu + Plekanec + McCarron). Remember what Gainey reportedly offered TB for VL...that's in the same area code...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If anybody has a hard on it's the HF Boards hard liners that get all lathered up with their opinions and can't hear anything but. You guys are so obsessed about Desharnais' size that you completely overlook his qualities and contributions. Go do the cumulative numbers the last 3 years on NHL centers and let's see where he ranks for points and assists.

Dude, quit pointing fingers. You're completely turning this into yet another dreaded DD thread. I'm not a "you guys", I just see DD for what he is -- not advocating he should be traded but neither am I seeing upper echelon value -- he's miscast by his coach and that's that. There are other places for your DD habit, if you wish to pursue this -- or should I say, if you can't ween off.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
That's the going rate since the Rogers deal.

His cap hit is only 250k more than Kessel, who would you pick?

as much as I hate Kessel, probably Kessel. At least Kessel looks awkward and we could laugh at him

ITT: Massive underrating of Eric Staal

enlighten us about the mysterious talent of Staal

EDIT : just a precision, if he ever ends up here i'll give him a chance to prove me wrong and make me love him

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So a 60-70 point scorer with an $8M cap hit is worth what exactly?

Bet you wouldn't feel that way if he was 6 ft.

The Guy is still a PPG player IF he can find the fire in his belly.
If he ask's to be traded that would be a good indication that he can.
He is languishing in Carolina and make no mistake about it he can still be Elite.

As someone pointed out he could be happy enough just saying...
Meh

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
There are 5 teams which it would be a no brainer upgrade on their top center currently. Not sure where you get your BS about the 3rd line. Ideally he's a #2 on a team, but not every team has a #1 or even high end #2 center. Buffalo's #1 center so far has been Ennis, now they are shifting Hodgson to C. Phoenix uses a guy who should be a #3 in Hanzal. Florida has no real true #1 or 2. Calgary has a bunch of #3's and a decent #2, that's it. NJ has no true offensive center, Zajac and Henrique should be #2's at best. Bozak should be a #3. Nashville is using Ribeiro who is unreliable(off ice issues).

I'd take Hanzal over Desharnais every single time, and I'd bet virtually every GM would as well. Hanzal puts almost the same number of points as Desharnais but does it in tough defensive minutes. Same goes for Bozak but to a lesser extent.

Ribeiro is also clearly more productive regardless of off ice issues

Hodgson was Buffalo's number 1 center, so I don't know where this only now shifting him to C comes from. And he's basically equal to Desharnais. Same goes for Henrique, Zajac they are just as productive and arguably don't have as favourable circumstances. But even if I give you those guys, that's 2 teams, a far cry from the 6-8 you orginally claimed. And in Buffalo's case they have Reinhart and Girgensons who if they aren't better than Desharnais right now, it's very likely they will be very soon.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
About Staal, people need to stop with the BS lowball packages, Carolina isn't even shopping him and he's their franchise player, so any offer without Galchenyuk/Pacioretty/Price/Subban or a massive overpayment(Fucale + DLR + Beaulieu + Plekanec + McCarron). Remember what Gainey reportedly offered TB for VL...that's in the same area code...

You're on the opposite end of the spectrum with a crazy package that would gut the team for years.

Carolina needs depth more than it needs a 75+ point 1st line center. Swapping out Staal for Plekanec & Beaulieu arguably makes them a better overall team today, let alone with all our prospects.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think that statement is true for any team in the league. Depth is much easier to acquire. 75+ point centres are exceedingly rare.
I agree. You don't give up superstar players, you build around them.

That being said, Staal isn't going to be there for when Carolina contends for their next cup. They could try to do something with him and rebuild. Problem is that the fan base is small already and if you trade him away...

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I don't think that statement is true for any team in the league. Depth is much easier to acquire. 75+ point centres are exceedingly rare.

The Canes won't be able to acquire said depth before E. Staal contract is over.
*IF* they are planning to move Staal its kinda the right time for them to do it.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

it's really nice to see you make comparisons with bottom feeders like Calgary, Buffalo, Florida.

would be nicer to compare with good teams though, unless you want us to be like the teams you've named... :nod:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
60-70 points with the carolina hurricanes is probably 80-90 points on an above average/decent team

I don't buy that argument. He's a first liner with as good of line mates as anyone. Crosby would still he Crosby on another team as would Malkin or Kopitar. To say Staal would do better on another team is pure speculation and a complete guess. He could also he worse if he doesn't have the right coach, chemistry, teammates etc. so let's not argue the stuff that's impossible to determine.

Sure he could use a new change of scenery but even that's conjecture. I'd rather assume he'll he the 60-70 point player he's been for the last 5 years and probably won't be getting much better as he gets older and more miles go in the tank.

The Guy is still a PPG player IF he can find the fire in his belly.
If he ask's to be traded that would be a good indication that he can.
He is languishing in Carolina and make no mistake about it he can still be Elite.

As someone pointed out he could be happy enough just saying...
Meh

He hasn't heen a PPG player in YEARS and he's getting older and older. I don't see how he all of a sudden turns around and scored 82 points unless it's a one year fluke one off.

I always think it's funny how fans always expect so much more than what a player has shown and get so bitterly disappointed when they don't live up to their unrealistic expectations. Classic.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't buy that argument. He's a first liner with as good of line mates as anyone. Crosby would still he Crosby on another team as would Malkin or Kopitar. To say Staal would do better on another team is pure speculation and a complete guess. He could also he worse if he doesn't have the right coach, chemistry, teammates etc. so let's not argue the stuff that's impossible to determine.

Sure he could use a new change of scenery but even that's conjecture. I'd rather assume he'll he the 60-70 point player he's been for the last 5 years and probably won't be getting much better as he gets older and more miles go in the tank.

He hasn't heen a PPG player in YEARS and he's getting older and older. I don't see how he all of a sudden turns around and scored 82 points unless it's a one year fluke one off.

I always think it's funny how fans always expect so much more than what a player has shown and get so bitterly disappointed when they don't live up to their unrealistic expectations. Classic.

was over PPG in 12/13, has been below the 70 pts mark only once (outside his rookie year) in his whole career, and he's 29 by the way - not closing on 40 or something...

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

So 53 points in 48 games (lock-out) doesn't count?
He's also a proven playoffs performer (43 in 43).

Would he be better if he was playing somewhere else? Hard to tell, but one can suspect he's not giving everything he got on every shifts while playing for a lottery team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad